Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Edinburgh Vault

Loonboy

[blue]Just found this on About.com:

Spectre inspector makes record books

A parapsychologist has made it into the record books for staging the biggest ghost hunt ever.

A catalogue of spooky encounters was reported in the experiment which was recognised as the "most systematic scientific study into haunted locations" by the Guinness Book of World Records.

The hunt, conducted at subterranean vaults in Edinburgh by Dr Richard Wiseman, of Hertfordshire University, involved 250 people and an array of hi-tech equipment.

But despite a number of creepy tales from volunteers, no definite proof of the supernatural was found during the experiment in April last year.

Some 125 male and 125 female volunteers, aged between 16 to 80, took turns to stand in parts of the reputedly haunted 18th century underground chambers for about 20 minutes during the experiment.

Dr Wiseman also used a magnetometer, thermal imager, air temperature and movement sensors and a light meter, as well as photographic and video cameras to pick up any spooky activity.

The study took place between April 4 and 17 at vaults beneath South Bridge and in Edinburgh Castle. Volunteers for the study were recruited through the Edinburgh International Science Festival.

Welcoming the recognition of his record achievement Dr Wiseman - who does not believe in ghosts - said the spirit hunt had been "fascinating".

The academic, who has been investigating paranormal phenomena for 10 years, said: "The vaults and the castle were ideal for the study because they have a reputation for being haunted and recording people's reactions was truly fascinating.

"Some people reported hearing heavy breathing and some saw ghostly lights while a woman said she saw a strange figure walking about. But none of the stories convinced me ghosts exist. I first got into this subject because I used to be a magician and I saw how easily people could be tricked."

Story filed: 17:15 Tuesday 19th March 2002

I remember a programme about this on British TV a while back and I think it was filmed at the beginning of the testing. Wiseman has debunked many other paranormal things.

[/blue]image

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loonboy

• SpaceyKC

• Druss

Well,  poo on him!!  >:(

I bet he's no fun on Halloween either!!  :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

:s9

i came across a web page about the Edinburgh Vault today, it was a womans personal experience's as she walked into each room and what she saw. It was worth reading, i am hoping to go up to scotland within the next couple of weeks for a few days break. I now want to book us all in to visit this vault (My kids and husband)

i'll take a camera and post anything i see, including ur gallery.   ;D

btw, ive just caught my hubby coming down the stairs and told him that were going...and he said not bloody likely.....so he'll be in the bar area and ill go alone..cant wait!!! :sp

Guest Guest

:sj

opps, i just posted that in another name. I use 'catzz' for a paranormal disscusion group....but its still me, using the name catzz is a habit!

>:(

[blue]Good luck. And how brave you are! :s4

Here's a thought: why not take a digital camera and a regular camera and see if you get anything when you're wandering around down there? Might be interesting.

whoooooohoooohooooo!  :sd (my impression of a ghost)

[/blue]

There is bound to be orbs, digitally speaking of course.

;)