Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another 'Thylacine' sighting

LadyMeg

Another 'Thylacine' sighting

Tuesday, 10 January, 2006

A tasmanian tiger or thylacine ran across a road north of Colac about 12.50am last Monday, according to Warrion man Steven Bennett. Mr Bennett said he was driving between Cressy and Warrion when he spotted the animal, believed to have been extinct since 1936. "It ran across the road in front of me (and) paused before it went into the bushes and long grass (on the side of the road),'' he said. The 24-year-old said the animal's stripes, tail and hind legs convinced him it was not a dog, feral cat or fox.A Tasmanian tiger ``is pretty much the only thing I can think of to explain it,'' Mr Bennett said.``It was a fawnish colour and it didn't have a bushy tail _ it's tail went straight out behind it. You always see foxes out here and normally they move low to the ground this was more like a horse in the way it trotted across the road.``I didn't get that much of a look at its head but it was a little bit taller than a bull mastiff and quite slim.''The sighting has excited researcher Michael Moss, who has been searching for the animals for about a decade. Mr Moss has been using a body-heat activated camera in the Otways and Gippsland for the past 18 months in the hopes ofcapturing evidence of the Tasmanian tigers and panthers rumoured to live in the forests.

He said Mr Bennett's sighting was the second one in the past four weeks _ two women travelling near Anglesea reported seeing a thylacine on December 20. ``He comes across as very credible.''Mr Moss said he was disappointed he had not had any luck with his automatic camera set-up in the Otways or Gippsland but remained convinced of the existence of big cats and Tasmanian tigers in the area.His own 1998 footage of what he believes to be a thylacine was recently used in a documentary and he has details on 38 big cat sightings over the past three years.

View: Full Article | Source: Warrnambool Standard

Many say the Thylacine "Tasmanian Tiger" is extinct but I remember when I was a small child living in the rural Australian bush one of those Tasmanian tigers came out of the bush I cuddled the animal thinking it was a striped dog.

I reckon they do exist in Australia as well, I guess time will tell if it comes to light.

Many say the Thylacine "Tasmanian Tiger" is extinct but I remember when I was a small child living in the rural Australian bush one of those Tasmanian tigers came out of the bush I cuddled the animal thinking it was a striped dog.

I reckon they do exist in Australia as well, I guess time will tell if it comes to light.

I hope they are still around, because they are such a unique animal, and their demise has been because of man's actions.

I can not believe that you actually cuddled a wild tassie tiger, but I was not there to see it, so can not dispute the fact. If you did then you are the last person to ever touch a living declared extinct tassie tiger. :o

Edited by Harks

What!!! Cuddled!!! :wacko: The mind boggles.

I hope they are still around, but its hard to believe why they are suddenly now being sited?

damn....i wanna cuddle the tiger. I really think they could still exist, and whos to say they dont? Enough sightings have bee recorded, and it dosnt take too much imagintion o believe they still live

Don't know that I would cuddle one ????

Wild animal's don't come up 'for a cuddle'. Had you cuddled one, you would be at one with the universe now methinks - ever heard of Lindy Chamberlain? I reckon that these things would have to be every bit as dangerous as a dingo, and very likely crossbred, making them harder to identify and moire vicious. (Crossbred is another theory I have for the sightings)

Wild animal's don't come up 'for a cuddle'. Had you cuddled one, you would be at one with the universe now methinks - ever heard of Lindy Chamberlain? I reckon that these things would have to be every bit as dangerous as a dingo, and very likely crossbred, making them harder to identify and moire vicious. (Crossbred is another theory I have for the sightings)

When I said cuddled yes I meant cuddled at the time I was only a 2 year old and the funny striped dog just came out of the bush and cuddled me and left as soon as it heard adults approaching. It does not matter to me if you believe me or not, I have even cuddled dingo's like all wild dogs you have to watch them.

Edited by LadyMeg

I don't think it would be possible to cross breed a tassie tiger with a canine as the genetics would not be compatable. One is a marsupial and the other is a placental mammal.

Good point Harks, had forgotten TT should be one of our marsupials. One of our national treasures just may be safe, still bothers me that we are the only country in the world that eats it's national symbol.

Sorry LadyMeg, I have seen quite a few Dingoes and feral dogs as I grew up in the Aussie Outback. "Like all wild dogs you have to watch them" !!!! BOLD STATEMENT. You sure do have to watch them, casue thay will eat a 2 year old :) For that matter, they will happily eat a 15 year old. Sorry, I'd have to see it to believe you play with wild dogs. I have seen many wild dogs, just can't wrap my head around the idea of animals playing happily with prey. Kinda like watching a Lion playfully wrassle with a lamb...........

We have a wild dingo in the mountains here, he is extremely timid and seems to spend a lot of times up high on the rocks watching.

I wouldn't trust any animal with a child.

I wouldn't trust any animal with a child.

Totally agree, especially dogs. I always taught my kids not to be 'too' freindly with dogs, even ones they thought they knew well.

Anyway, back to the topic. I'd like to post the details of my sighting -

The details are sketchy as it happened back the early 80's. I used to travel from south west Gippsland to central Victoria on a weekly basis. I left at about 4:30am to head north. One morning I was heading north up the Melba Highway (I think that is what it's called - turn off at Yarra Glen near Melba house, estate or cottage? Haven't been down that way for many years now) As I was traveling up the dividing range (before the King Lake turn off) a creature trotted across the road from right to left ahead of the car. It got to the other side, stopped, turned it's head to look at the car, then ran into the bush. It was probably less than half a metre high (to it's back), had a biggish head, stripes on it's rear half and what really caught my attention was the unusual rear end. The body continued past the rear legs and tapered off into the thin tail. As a country dweller I knew it wasn't a fox. It was too big, had stripes and had that unusual rear end and tail instead of a foxes bushy tail.

Taking into account I stopped for petrol on the way, the sighting would have been approximately 5:30am. It's been 20 years since I did that weekly run so I could be out with the time but not by much.

You people can shoot me down in flames on this if you wish but until someone shows me a picture of a currently existing similar looking creature then I will remain convinced it was a Tassy Tiger.

Personally, I wish they were still around. It seems there's good cause for their continued existence.

Aren't marsupials less skiddish around hmans then otther animals?

Seems like I heard that somewhere.

Personally, I wish they were still around. It seems there's good cause for their continued existence.

Aren't marsupials less skiddish around hmans then otther animals?

Seems like I heard that somewhere.

Not from personal experience, I've seen roo's and platypus, but even dingoes will avoid humans if possible. Koals sure stop looking cute and cuddly close up!!! Evil sound those things make too. Could account for some Yowies.

Is anyone trying to clone the tiger? If we are having a go at a Mammoth, why not, surely we can gt fresher DNA thylacine samples?

Edited by psyche101

Damned shame that they can't just clone a few of them and start the population again. Then agian, that would explain a lot of the recent sightings......

If only us humans wernt so pig headed and killed them all in the first place, just hope to god there is a few left, much of tasmania is covered in wildreness in which humans have not been so perhaps there is a small population of the thylacine still left undisturbed from humans.

• Like 1

"His own 1998 footage of what he believes to be a thylacine was recently used in a documentary"

Is this video online anywhere?

• 13 years later...
On 18/01/2006 at 3:18 PM, Tuco said:

Totally agree, especially dogs. I always taught my kids not to be 'too' freindly with dogs, even ones they thought they knew well.

Anyway, back to the topic. I'd like to post the details of my sighting -

The details are sketchy as it happened back the early 80's. I used to travel from south west Gippsland to central Victoria on a weekly basis. I left at about 4:30am to head north. One morning I was heading north up the Melba Highway (I think that is what it's called - turn off at Yarra Glen near Melba house, estate or cottage? Haven't been down that way for many years now) As I was traveling up the dividing range (before the King Lake turn off) a creature trotted across the road from right to left ahead of the car. It got to the other side, stopped, turned it's head to look at the car, then ran into the bush. It was probably less than half a metre high (to it's back), had a biggish head, stripes on it's rear half and what really caught my attention was the unusual rear end. The body continued past the rear legs and tapered off into the thin tail. As a country dweller I knew it wasn't a fox. It was too big, had stripes and had that unusual rear end and tail instead of a foxes bushy tail.

Taking into account I stopped for petrol on the way, the sighting would have been approximately 5:30am. It's been 20 years since I did that weekly run so I could be out with the time but not by much.

You people can shoot me down in flames on this if you wish but until someone shows me a picture of a currently existing similar looking creature then I will remain convinced it was a Tassy Tiger.

There are kids in high school that weren't even born the last time this thread was active...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

Holy bat poop Batman! 2006!

Huh? You called me?

• Haha 3