Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quick Time Travel Thought

Delacorr

If we were to invent time travel in the future so that you could go backwards in time, wouldn't we be seeing things from the future already?...just a thought...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Nethius

• PsychicPenguin

• VENKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This has actually been used as an argument that time travel is impossible.

It stated that if time travel would be possible in the future, timetravellers from that era would have already visited us in this time.

And who knows, maybe they did. Maybe history has been changed on some points to prevent bad things to happen.

Delacorr, what "things from the future" are you referring to?

UFO's?

Superconductors?

Cloned sheep?

Paperthin monitors?

Well, maybe we have seen some.. who's to tell? wink2.gif

Edited by Phantom

If people were to go back in time and alter the timeline, no one would notice other than the people that went back and altered it, but when they went back into there own time perio, nothing would have happened for them, as they would have started a new alternate history branch in phase space.

If people were to go back in time and alter the timeline, no one would notice other than the people that went back and altered it, but when they went back into there own time perio, nothing would have happened for them, as they would have started a new alternate history branch in phase space.

yup

Thanks for agreeing wih me, for a minute there, I was expecting a string of questions on what is phase space, (watch 'em come now).

Just a quick word tho Spyro, it is generally not done that you quote an entire reply, only to put one word as an answer, tr and limit the quote to what you need to put to get your point across. Thank You.

limit the quote to what you need to put to get your point across. Thank You.

Also on behalf of me...

What is Phase Space?

my, wonder why you asked? tongue.gif

Phase space is very simply, the space into which the different branches of dimensions go into when they are created, through the choice making that we do all the while, for instance we make a choice about whether to go out or not, in this dimension we stay in, but another dimension will have been created in phase space in which we went out then. Phase space is all the possibilities and the place where the exist rolled into one.

If you could please explain something to me,please. I was under the impression that even if time travel was possible, that you could not have phase space ( or time lines) rolled into one, that one would be broken and "connected" to the new one that has altered the time.

Just a thought.. thanks for any help or "education"

If you think deeply about the multiple dimmensions theory, couldn't you then say that everything exsisted everywhere always, time is just a course through it all?

shelby,

Traveling backwards in time is only a theory, of course, but even if it were possible, the specifics of traveling backwards in time would still be theoretical until it is achieved. Meaning, phase space is only a theory, even if backwards time travel is a reality. At least for now wacko.gif

In a universe of seemingly infinite possibilities, there seems to be an almost infinite number of theories as well.

Thank you Homer, and I know that is is still only a theory. It would be intresting to see if it is possible to be done and if possible how far back we would be able to go. But I do have to wonder what it would do to the "time lines" that have been created and the course if the time spaces,, and if it would be possible for them to overlap each other and the such

But then again.. in a Back to the Future kinda of way... I would like to try it cool.gif

• 2 months later...

This has actually been used as an argument that time travel is impossible.

It stated that if time travel would be possible in the future, timetravellers from that era would have already visited us in this time.

And who knows, maybe they did. Maybe history has been changed on some points to prevent bad things to happen.

Delacorr, what "things from the future" are you referring to?

UFO's?

Superconductors?

Cloned sheep?

Paperthin monitors?

Well, maybe we have seen some.. who's to tell?  wink2.gif

i like ur thinking phantom. cool.gif

anyway, who's to say that no one has ever time-travelled in the 1st place? if a particular person went on travelling in another time period, he/she would be absent from our time, therefore, we could never know if anyone else is indeed an 'alien' from another time.

one theory that exists is the grandfather theory, i assume most of you have heard of this so i wont go into much detail. if you went back and killed your grandfather then you wouldnt be alive to go back and kill him. this argues that time travel could be impossible due to the alterations you could make that would change history...or rather the future, which in your real time would be history.

i'm sure i missed something out lol.

if it was possible to time travel, imagine meeting yourself! you could stop yourself from doing something! cool! although maybe it would have some wierd effect. im sure there was another theory about this one, oh well

zygon i know wat u mean, but 1 question: how do u know u can actually change things when going bac in time? how do u know ur not just a spectator?

(sorry my 1 question turned in2 two. tongue.gif)

zygon i know wat u mean, but 1 question: how do u know u can actually change things when going bac in time? how do u know ur not just a spectator?

We may not even be able to see these time travellers. Now, if you put these two suggestions together........

okay, how bout this...

lets say that time starts again and again, but not all at the same instance

please refer to picture at bottom.

where "1" is always the beginning

so if we are the top line, and we are at "5" and we travel "back" in time, we would actually not travel back in time, but over to #4 on the next line down.(or down onto 3, or 2 of the other lines, depending on how far back you tried to travel). so it would be possible to kill you grampy if you wanted to! because you technically dont exist in that time line

this fits in a bit with phase space if every timeline started at a different "time"

I realize i'm using the word "time" in 2 different contexts, but i hope you understand what i mean

just a possibility?!?

***edit - changed this a bit to make more sense***

post-52-1070571301.jpg

Oops, I just found another thread on this entirely. Sorry for the mix up. I am a Noob. whistling2.gif

I saw the posting requesting the basic systems for a gravity distortion system that will allow time travel. Here they are:

1. Magnetic housing units for dual microsignularities.

2. Electron injection manifold to alter mass and gravity of microsingularities.

3. Cooling and x-ray venting system

4. Gravity sensors (VGL system)

5. Main clocks (4 cesium units)

6. Main computer units (3)

NO WAY!!! ohmy.gif

It is almost exactly what I have in the drawing board! Btw, it is an alternative propulsion system, not a time machine. wacko.gif

Wow, John Titor story is great. I just started investigating. Thanks for the link original.gif

Titor mentioned about a problem in UNIX system at 2038. So, this is the result of a simulation on my machine:

$> ./timetest

Tue Jan 19 03:14:01 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:02 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:03 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:04 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:05 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:06 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 2038

Fri Dec 13 20:45:52 1901

So there is really a problem with UNIX in 2038. However this problem exists on 32 bit machines only. Running the simulation on a 64-bit machine:

$> ./timetest

Tue Jan 19 03:14:01 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:02 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:03 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:04 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:05 2038

Tue Jan 19 03:14:06 2038

So these things really don't add up. Most UNIX system today are running on 64 bit machines, which do not have this problem at all. In 32-bit UNIX arena today we have 32-bit Solaris, Linux, and BSD running on 32 bit processors. Solaris is normally run on 64 bit SPARC processor, and Linux is already running on 64-bit computers, although most people still using it with the popular 32-bit Intel architecture. Even Windows and Mac are making transition to the 64 bit environment.

Why would the engineers from 2036 living in a 64-bit computer dominated world need an old 16-bit IBM 5100 computer to solve a problem with 32-bit machines???? I don't really know, but the only reasonable explanation for me is that John Titor is a clever hoaxer putting small chunks of information together without really understanding the real issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a show in which steven hawkings theorized that you could not go back in time to any point before the time machine was built, i forget the exact reasons why, but its pretty interesting theory.

...you could not go back in time to any point before the time machine was built...

hmm, never heard that before, sounds interesting! goona have to do some searching

Anything is possible, after all, wasn’t it once considered that man, would never make it to the moon? The Earth was flat and you would fall of the edge if you sailed to far, or even that the sun revolved around the earth.

So why not Time Travel?

wub.gif Doomie

if you went back and killed your grandfather then you wouldnt be alive to go back and kill him. this argues that time travel could be impossible due to the alterations you could make that would change history

Yeah, but the argument to this theory [apart from the multiple universe one] is that you could never actually kill him-circumstances would always prevent that event from happening. The very fact that you were alive to time travel meant that your grandfather could never have been killed. So paradoxes can't happen.

That John Titor thing is quite cool as well. True or not, it's thought-provoking and imaginative.