Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Thanato

Canadian soldier killed

Thanato

Canadian soldier killed, 3 others injured in Afghanistan

One Canadian was killed and three others were wounded after a suicide car bomber struck their military convoy in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Sunday.

Prime Minister Paul Martin confirmed the Canadian casualties during a campaign stop in Laval, Que. But he said no names were being released at this time because the families of the victims have not yet been notified.

"I would like to express my sincere condolences to the families of the dead soldier," Martin said. "To the families of the injured soldiers, I want to send my best wishes for a prompt recovery and my prayers."

The blast also killed two Afghan civilians and injured at least 10 others, media reports said.

The attack took place around 1 p.m. local time, just inside the city limits. A sedan type vehicle swerved into the convoy and exploded, witnesses said.

The bomb was strong enough to blow the armoured vehicle carrying the soldiers off the side of the road, said Tom Coghlan, a British freelance reporter for the Daily Telegraph. Witnesses said the blast also blew out windows in nearby buildings.

The injured were airlifted from the scene to the main U.S. air base in Kandahar, he said.

This was the 15th suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan in the past three months.

Canada has about 650 troops in Afghanistan, nearly all in Kandahar. There are plans to increase that number to 2,000 soldiers next month.

Source

~Thanato

Natael

Expect more.

Xyfer

I forget where I heard it, but I once heard that all of Canada's army can be fit at Rogers Centre. Thanato do you know if this is true? Just how many soldiers do we have exactly?

Thanato

From what i know there are over 100,000 members of the Canadian forces, bot reserve and regular force.

~Thanato

Xyfer

From what i know there are over 100,000 members of the Canadian forces, bot reserve and regular force.

~Thanato

Thanks for the info :tu: Sounds like a very small number to defend all of Canada.. What if one day in the future the US decides that invading Canada and expanding on their territory is in their best interest? What would we do :mellow:

Welsh Shaun

I hardly think that is a possibility :P

But you are needed elsewhere even if you think it is a waste of time?

Xyfer

If we are needed in Afghanistan I'm all for it. I just can't help but notice how small our army really is and how big a land we own. The second largest country in the world and the CF are below 200 000. I don't see how we would be able to stop the US if they were to decide to turn on us. Yes its not much of a possibility, but you never know what the future holds. If that was to happen how would we withdraw our soldiers and defend our land?

HurtingSpirit

Bless you Canooks, we prey for you here in america.

I have heard a number, that when canadians are needed in wartime, there response is 1 in 11 people that go military. So I think your military would be quite effective if anyone decided to do an attack on you.

Also canadians, I hope you dont have it in your head that Americans would attack you. Even if our government ever planned to execute such a plan, Americans would condemn it. I cant speak for other americans, but I look at our brothers to the north, just like another American. When it comes down to it, when all bs is off the table, I think most americans see you as brothers, and sisters, American or not. I think we could rely on you if needed, just as you could rely on us. :tu:

Edited by HurtingSpirit

Dando Kast

Thanks for the info :tu: Sounds like a very small number to defend all of Canada.. What if one day in the future the US decides that invading Canada and expanding on their territory is in their best interest? What would we do :mellow:

If the U.S. attacked Canada then they'd have to fend off every other country...

HurtingSpirit

If we are needed in Afghanistan I'm all for it. I just can't help but notice how small our army really is and how big a land we own. The second largest country in the world and the CF are below 200 000. I don't see how we would be able to stop the US if they were to decide to turn on us. Yes its not much of a possibility, but you never know what the future holds. If that was to happen how would we withdraw our soldiers and defend our land?

Being the neighbors that we are, our governments have an EXTREMEEEEE level of trust in eachother obviously. Although they bicker at eachother, and dont always agree, An Invasion by either side, would be disasterous, and nearly impossible to stop either way. If you canooks invaded us, we would be unable to stop you for a decent amount of time. You would probably make it into our lower states before we could retaliate.. Also the same with us, If we attacked you, we would be deeeep into canada before you could stop us. Having that been said, you can check my above post, on how I feel about our relationship, and how I think things will go down, if they go down.

Xyfer

If the U.S. attacked Canada then they'd have to fend off every other country...

Perhaps, but how can you know that for sure? The US is powerful and they have powerful allies. If the UN was to fall apart someday and if the whole world was to go at war I doubt that many countries would care about the well-being of Canada over their own. Of course this is just my opinion.. I myself don't find it very likely that the US would turn on us.

Xyfer

Being the neighbors that we are, our governments have an EXTREMEEEEE level of trust in eachother obviously. Although they bicker at eachother, and dont always agree, An Invasion by either side, would be disasterous, and nearly impossible to stop either way. If you canooks invaded us, we would be unable to stop you for a decent amount of time. You would probably make it into our lower states before we could retaliate.. Also the same with us, If we attacked you, we would be deeeep into canada before you could stop us. Having that been said, you can check my above post, on how I feel about our relationship, and how I think things will go down, if they go down.

I agree, but you can't deny even the slighest possibility of that happening.. if not now maybe in the far future. At the time being yes we have a great relationship and I can't see anything like that happening.

HurtingSpirit

Perhaps, but how can you know that for sure? The US is powerful and they have powerful allies. If the UN was to fall apart someday and if the whole world was to go at war I doubt that many countries would care about the well-being of Canada over their own. Of course this is just my opinion.. I myself don't find it very likely that the US would turn on us.

Why would America attack such a powerful neighbor, when they are in a position where they can just ask for help??

See why people can say that "if america attacks canada" now is because we havent been attacked on our home soils in so long. If you get us an Enemy that tries invading our homelands, Canada, or US. I guarantee you the patriotism of the Canooks and the US would combine for one p***ed of Northern American Alliance =/.. Not to mention the EURO nations that are usually on the same page as us.

I just hate questions like this, because it makes me feel like it diversifies americans, and canadians more. Asking what would happen if this nation invaded your nation, is just fuel to the patriotism fire. And we dont need fuel to the flames that are going on between Canada, and America in these petty events going on, compared to the global scale that it will one day, possibly soon, become.

The point im trying to make I guess is. Americans wont stand for the american government attacking canada in this day and age. We are in a position now where we can communicate with our canadian friends, and cant be blinded by the propoganda that would surely come during the time of an attack. I think the American people would rise up against a government, if they tried to invade canada. I cant speak for all americans, but as I said before, I feel you canadians are our Brothers and Sisters, and us (I) americans, will fight till the death right beside you, not against you, for the beautiful space that is North America.

Xyfer

Point well taken :tu:

Thanato

Well there is only one nation that can sucessfully invade and take over canada with little worry, and that nation is Russia. This is mainly due to there weapons opperating in -20 or below. If the yanks did invade we would just need to growned them to a halt untill winter, then launch the counter offencive, which would work great, or we could just pull a meat grinder and wast the enemy soldiers. The C7 works in cold weather much better then the M16, i belive its the oil that keeps the gun lubricated.

~Thanato

Stellar

The US is powerful and they have powerful allies.

And what do you think those allies would think when the US suddenly invaded its close ally up north?

The C7 works in cold weather much better then the M16, i belive its the oil that keeps the gun lubricated.

The C7 is no better in the cold than the M16. It IS the M16, only very slightly modified. The oil that it uses in winter can and probably is applied on American M16s.

__Kratos__

Well there is only one nation that can sucessfully invade and take over canada with little worry, and that nation is Russia. This is mainly due to there weapons opperating in -20 or below. If the yanks did invade we would just need to growned them to a halt untill winter, then launch the counter offencive, which would work great, or we could just pull a meat grinder and wast the enemy soldiers. The C7 works in cold weather much better then the M16, i belive its the oil that keeps the gun lubricated.

~Thanato

Because the US doesn't have an airforce with lots of bombs and other goodies, right? :P

Anyways... I can't see how a dead Canadian solder in Afgan lead to US vs Canada... again.

I wish the best for his family and the other hurt to heal swiftly.

Unlimited

there seems to be a common paranoid delusion that the u.s. is gonna take over canada. or only russia could? why would anyone want canada besides good fishing. and ice hockey theres nothing we want. :sleepy:

Xyfer

There are many good things in this country apart from fishing and ice hockey, but I'm not going to get into that :)

Thanato

Well, Canada has a very prosperus future with the dwindeling natural resources in the rest of the world.

~Thanato

Stellar

there seems to be a common paranoid delusion that the u.s. is gonna take over canada. or only russia could? why would anyone want canada besides good fishing. and ice hockey theres nothing we want.

Ever saw the movie "H2O"?