Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
PLO

Curious treaty Disregard

PLO

Now, not being one to read between the lines here im kinda curious as to why these treatys have never been ratified, i cant honestly think of a good humanitarian reason. Any thoughts?

Convention on Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)

The US remains one of a handful of countries, including Iran and Sudan, not to ratify CEDAW. The treaty faces resistance from US conservatives

Signed July 17, 1980, never ratified.

Convention on the Rights of the Child

At the UN, only the United States and Somalia, which has no functional government, have not ratified the Convention. Conservatives who favor the death penalty for minors strongly oppose the treaty

Signed Feb. 16, 1995, never ratified.

Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BWC) and Draft Proposal

After the BWC was drafted in 1972, its 144 state parties agreed that the convention's enforcement mechanisms were inadequate. An "Ad Hoc Group" formed in 1994 to negotiate changes. When the group presented its draft proposal in 2001, the US rejected it and refused to return to negotiations, effectively derailing the treaty.

Signed April 10, 1972, ratified March 23, 1975, rejected Draft Proposal in June, 2001.

Mine Ban Treaty

The US remains the only member of NATO besides Turkey, and the only state in the Western Hemisphere besides Cuba, not to sign the Mine Ban Treaty. The US used anti-personnel land mines in the first Gulf War, and claims that land mines are essential to protect US soldiers in heavily armed places like the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea.

Never signed

Dando Kast

Good questions and good points.... when your the only super-power left in the world it's rather easy to diregard treaties from other nations.... I think it's a very arrogant attitude to not sign the treaties...

AdNauseamSuiGeneris

Convention on Discrimination against Women (CEDAW):

"It holds a state party responsible for discriminatory acts committed by private individuals or organizations."

So if a private individual discriminates agaisnt a woman than the state is to be held liable?

That makes no sense. And it isn't like that could be enforced against every individual either. Perhaps we did not sign a treaty we know is not possible to enforce.

Convention on the Rights of the Child

"Article 2

1. States Parties shall respect and ensure the rights set forth in the present Convention to each child within their jurisdiction without discrimination of any kind, irrespective of the child's or his or her parent's or legal guardian's race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national, ethnic or social origin, property, disability, birth or other status."

Really, are you sure there is a possibility that only Conservatives hate this? Looks to me that maybe liberals woudl be against it to. That means no more affirmative action!

"2. States Parties shall take all appropriate measures to ensure that the child is protected against all forms of discrimination or punishment on the basis of the status, activities, expressed opinions, or beliefs of the child's parents, legal guardians, or family members."

Wow, what a great way to make Big Brother even bigger! Have him monitoring every home that has a child in it!

"2. States Parties shall ensure to the maximum extent possible the survival and development of the child."

Development of a child... What? Isn't a fetus a child that is developing! Wow, look, I guess Conservatives are really the only ones who didn't like this!

I could go on....

Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BWC) and Draft Proposal:

"Signed April 10, 1972, ratified March 23, 1975, rejected Draft Proposal in June, 2001."

I'm just curious... If we signed it and ratified it already, how is there a draft propasal 29 years after we signed it?

Mine Ban Treaty:

"The US remains the only member of NATO besides Turkey, and the only state in the Western Hemisphere besides Cuba, not to sign the Mine Ban Treaty. The US used anti-personnel land mines in the first Gulf War, and claims that land mines are essential to protect US soldiers in heavily armed places like the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea."

Well there you go, the reason not to sign it was already in your post.

__Kratos__

Good questions and good points.... when your the only super-power left in the world it's rather easy to diregard treaties from other nations.... I think it's a very arrogant attitude to not sign the treaties...

The US doesn't just simply ignore all treaties. Look how many the US has signed compared to these 4.

But no, if the US disagrees with another country over something, it's America the big, bad evil empire. :rolleyes:

Celumnaz

I wouldn't sign those treaties either.