Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombie Movies

BurnSide

Aiight, it's been awhile since we had a decent Zomb Horror discussion going. So i'm starting one up again, as lately it's been my mission on earth to expand my Zomb Horror collection to it's limits.

Some of you may be startled to know, i've never really owned any Zombie movies. My main focus on the subject came from Lore, Literature and of course, Zomb games. Once i pretty much filled up that collection though, it was time to move onto the movies.

So i now own:

Night of the Living Dead Original, B&W

Night of the Living Dead Tom Savini Remake

Dawn of the Dead Original Ultimate Collectors Edition (Being Delivered)

Dawn of the Dead 04 Remake

Land of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead (Naturally)

28 Days Later

Resident Evil and RE Apocalypse

I think i might be missing a couple but whatev. It's expanding slowly.

My purchases in the near future include the Return of the Living Dead Trilogy, the first is always a blast haha. Day of the Dead is a must for my collection naturally, and i'll eventually get the sequal as well, Contagium, although it doesn't at all fit into the Romero zombie universe. And of course, Zombi is proving difficult to find.

So peeps, discuss your Zomb Horror love here to your hearts content, i'm quite looking forward to some heated discussions on the subject. What are your favourite zombie movies? Best parts in Zombie cinema history? Most gory scene of carnage? etc

:ph34r::)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Shakezulah

• jpalz

• Neo2005

Burn. I remember reading something about some Italian zombie film that was extremely good. Have you ever heard of it? Sorry, I don't have name. I do believe this was an older film.

I was actually disappointed with Shaun of the Dead, over here it was a little over-hyped.

But Dawn of the Dead :lol: I watched that 3 times with my gf in theatres. That movie was pretty funny and suspenseful. I saw a lot of the older ones ages ago, they were pretty good too from what I remember.

eric the movie you're thinking off is probably Zombi. A classic. :)

I can imagine Shaun of the Dead wouldn't have as much of a following in England. Outside of England one of the reasons it's so popular is the fact that it is british. For me it really connects me with my roots, the fact that it's set in London is really a massive bonus for me.

I totally loved it, it's my favourite zombie flick for the sheer fact that it's realistic of a real zombie outbreak, their reactions to the situation are fantastic. And the humour in it is really my style.

Burns, you gotta get Fulci's Zombi 2. It's such a great, cheesy, gory zombie flick. Pus it has one of the most disturbing scenes ever put on to film, where this zombie pulls a womans head closer to a sharp piece of wood sticking out of her door as she stuggles, but then it slowly inches towards her eye until it touches it and then starts to go through it. You can see it pop and then sink deeper. It's sick, but very good.

That's the only Fulci zombie movie I've seen, but I've heard the rest of the Zombi series is pretty good, as well as his other movies.

I also heard about this rare zombie movie called Junk that I've been looking all over for but haven't found yet. It's supposed to be extremely good.

I might also recommend Dead Alive. I'm sure you've seen it, but it is THE single most gory movie ever.

And that Day of the Dead 2: Contagium....don't get it....I heard it was absolutely horrible, even for a cheesy zombie movie. And I don't even think it's supposta be a sequel to the original movie. My friend said it was a sequel to another movie. I heard they are actually planning to remake Day, just like they did Dawn.

I also heard that Returns 4 and 5 are very good. Don't know if those are out on DVD yet though.

I've seen Zombi 2, i did very much enjoy it. Yeah i know that scene, i remember being really grossed out. Good call. :)

Haven't heard of Junk.

Dead Alive is alright, but i didn't enjoy it as much as most people. Definately a good gore factor, although to be honest i think the directors cut of Land tops it. Nothing like 5 minutes of watching zombies pull people apart. I especially love the zombie that reaches into a corpses mouth and pulls out a whole lot of gore. And the ripping the face off scene is beautiful.

I haven't seen Contagium, but not it's not really a proper sequel. It's set like 30 years later and basically there's a hospital that's been built over the site of the Army Base in Day, or something like that. There's these cylinders of some sort of zombie gas that reawaken the undead in the area. It does sound pretty lame.

I actually thought there were only 3 Return of the Living Dead movies, i was not aware there were 5 parts.

Yeah there are now 5 parts. 4 and 5 were released by Sci-Fi in October. And even for Sci-Fi movies, they were actually supposta be pretty gory and funny. The average reader ratings for both movies on IMDb were somewhere between 7 and 8.

Last time I checked, Contagium had like....a 1.6 I think?

I haven't seen the DC of Land yet, but I think the normal version is the 2nd goriest movie I've seen. And I still doubt that the DC is gorier than Dead Alive. You can't say that the lawnmower seen isn't like the bloodiest, goriest thing you've ever seen in a movie. :P Plus most other parts were extremely gory as well.

What I sometimes do is go on IMDb and just do a big search on zombie movies to find some a might wanna buy/rent. You'll literally get hundreds of movies. I found a lot of really interesting sounding ones last time a searched, like Junk. Just type in "dead" or "zombies" or something along those lines.

No doubt man, Dead Alive is extremely awesome in it's goriness.

You should try the DC of Land though, seriously, it has about 25 minutes of new footage and nearly all of it is zombies ripping people to sheds. They actually had to cut out a ton of the gore and shorten scenes in the movie as well as put CG zombies walking infront of other eating zombies so that they would be allowed to release it in theatres under an R rating! Crazy.

I quickly read some reviews of the new parts, they do sound pretty good haha. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

What can you tell me about Junk? I hope it's not like Undead. *groans*

I just checked the IMDb page of Junk. I somehow remember the reviews for it being a lot better...oh well...maybe that was something else. Anyways, it's a japanese movie that was apparently horribly edited for the American version. A lot of people on the forum say that they have it at their local Blockbuster, but I never saw it there. My Blockbuster doesn't even have Return of the Living Dead....lame. So I guess Junk isn't supposta be that good; I still wouldn't mind checking it out though.

I also found out something interesting. There was a movie made called Zombie 3 (not Zombi 3) that was filmed on the exact same set as Fulci's Zombi 2; it also had 2 of the actors from Zombi 2 in the movie.

And did you actually see Undead....after I warned you to stay away from it? :P

Yeah well i had to check it out for myself. It did have zombies in it somewhat at least.

Fortunately i was a little.. under the influence while i watched it so i got a decent laugh out of it at least. :)

Zombi is also known as Zombie in alot of places so Zombie 3 could just be Zombi 3. It would seem likely if it has some of the same actors and locations. lol

No it isn't. Check the IMDb page. It has a completely different director. In the trivia section, it says that it had the same set as Zombi 2.

To clear up the confusion with the Zombi movies:

The original Dawn of the Dead was known as Zombi (or Zombie) in Italy; it was also extremely popualr. Fulci wanted to cash in on it, so he decided to make an unofficial sequel to it, which is known as Zombi 2 (or Zombie Flesheaters in the UK). He continued the series as it's own thing. I think there's maybe 5 movies. So if you ever go to a store and see Zombi and Zombi 2, don't buy both....they are the EXACT same thing.

The series called Zombie is a separate thing, though. Although I believe it is still made by an Italian director, so I can see where the similarities can come in.

Edited by Shakezulah

:lol: If anything that creates more confusion really.

I did know Dawn was known as Zombi though. Romero actually discusses that in the Land of the Dead specials.

Creates more confusion? How so? I didn't have any clue why the movie Zombi 2 was also the first one, and why the series went under so many different names. I once found a huge thread on IMDb explaining it and it cleared it right up. I guess it is a little confusing though.

Dawn of the Dead = Zombie

Zombi 2 is unofficial sequel to Dawn, aka Zombie

Zombi = Zombi 2

Zombi 2 = Zombie Flesheaters

Zombi 3 = Zombie Flesheaters 2 (and so on)

Zombi 2 is called Zombie Flesheaters 1 in the UK because it is a stand-alone movie there, hence why Zombi 3 = ZF2

Easier to get it now? :lol:

I was searching more and came across a zombie film that's supposta be good. It's called Flesheater or Zombie Nosh. The rating isn't great, but a bunch of the reviews says it was a very good movie for a cheesy 80's zombie flick, with tons of gore and a very creepy atmosphere. I really have to check this one out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109809/

Oh no confusion from me dude, i already know. Although it still seems totally fishy that Zombie 3 has nothing to do with Zombi, i'm gonna have to watch it and see if maybe the story matches up at all.

I ment it's just so confusing as to why they went with all these identical titles. :lol:

I have seen Zombie Nosh, actually i saw it under the name Revenge of the Living Dead. It's actually pretty good, i definately recommend it. If you've seen the original Night of the Living Dead, then it might interest you to know the first zombie in the movie, the one that kills Johnny, produced this one.

They're all interconnected in some way. :lol:

I tried watching Return 4 & 5. I thought they sucked. I watched the first 30 mins and could not take it. They couldn't pull off what 1 & 2 did.

Thanks for letting me know. That drops my hopes slightly. I'll still keep an eye out for them though, if they're on Space sometime soon again or something.

Oh no confusion from me dude, i already know. Although it still seems totally fishy that Zombie 3 has nothing to do with Zombi, i'm gonna have to watch it and see if maybe the story matches up at all.

I ment it's just so confusing as to why they went with all these identical titles. :lol:

I have seen Zombie Nosh, actually i saw it under the name Revenge of the Living Dead. It's actually pretty good, i definately recommend it. If you've seen the original Night of the Living Dead, then it might interest you to know the first zombie in the movie, the one that kills Johnny, produced this one.

They're all interconnected in some way. :lol:

Zombi 3 and Zombie 3 are two totally different movies. Like I said, the series' are not the same. Zombi 3 is a continuation of Fulci's series, while the other Zombie series is directed by different people for each movie or something.

I definately have to see Zombie Nosh. I forgot to mention that it was also called Revenge of the Living Dead before. I wonder which title it will go under here?

Have you ever seen House by the Cemetery? It's another Fulci movie, but if you haven't seen in, then keep away from it. It's hilariously bad.

Okay okay i'll take your word for it. :lol:

No i haven't seen House by the Cemetary, but i have heard that exact same phrase muttered after it each time i discuss zomb movies, so yeah, i've learned to stay away from that one. :)

What can you tell me about Junk? I hope it's not like Undead. *groans*

Undead was so crappy, I found it hilarious.

haha yeah, as i said, i got a decent laugh out of it at least. :)

I guess you already mentioned Dead Alive, but another one of my favorites is Versus. KICK ASS.

Aww man i totally forgot about Versus!! Or Down to Hell, i think it's also called. I saw it once like 3 years ago and loved it.

Since shaun of the dead there have not been any good zombie flicks, out lately even in the indie scene been lacking zombie flicks :( (In my opinion Land of the Dead and Undead which i finally saw was o.k.).

So during my daily search for a new indie film I stumble on this site. The brains behind The Toxic Avenger one of my favorite movies, is directing this movie movie called Poultrygeist its in post production now so we could be waiting 3 months to a year for it to come out but hey here is a link poultrygeist the movie.

my thread was ignored do I'll post it here

I have not seen it yet but I have high hopes for this film

check the link ther is a trailer out, I cant see it I'm getting erros on my real player.

Edited by Super Pancake

Sorry dude never saw your thread.

Attack of the Chicken Zombies?? Okay then. :lol:

eric the movie you're thinking off is probably Zombi. A classic. :)

I can imagine Shaun of the Dead wouldn't have as much of a following in England. Outside of England one of the reasons it's so popular is the fact that it is british. For me it really connects me with my roots, the fact that it's set in London is really a massive bonus for me.

I totally loved it, it's my favourite zombie flick for the sheer fact that it's realistic of a real zombie outbreak, their reactions to the situation are fantastic. And the humour in it is really my style.

I love that movie!

The funniest part has got to be the Queen fight. Classic moment!

What other classic moments in Zombie movies? Mmm... in Night of the Living Dead it's the "They're going to get you Barbara" line and when Barbara sees her brother at the end just before she gets killed :D

Now, I know that it's not a Zombie movie, but I find that Evil Dead is quite gory :yes: