Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombie Movies

BurnSide

Gory!? There ain't much gore in Evil Dead really. Not that i remember. Sure it had it's moments.

hehe i love what Shaun of the Dead took from the Romero movies. I always have to point out that when Ed yells down the phone to Shauns Mum 'We're coming to get you Barbara!' it's actually a nod to Night of the Living Dead.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Shakezulah

• jpalz

• Neo2005

What are you talking about? The first Evil Dead was really gory. The second one, still gory, but not as much. And I guess the first movie could be considered a zombie movie...kinda.

Bah, i never consider them zombie movies.

Demonic posession people, it's different.

I'm sorry, i really don't remember all that much gore in any of the Evil Dead movies. I mean of course there was some. Maybe i'm just getting used to new-gore so old-gore doesn't have it's effect anymore.

Gory!? There ain't much gore in Evil Dead really. Not that i remember. Sure it had it's moments.

hehe i love what Shaun of the Dead took from the Romero movies. I always have to point out that when Ed yells down the phone to Shauns Mum 'We're coming to get you Barbara!' it's actually a nod to Night of the Living Dead.

Yup :D

And I remember that Simon Pegg showed his movie to Romero and he didn't get the nod to his movie :lol:

hahah yeah.

There's this awesome special in the Land of the Dead DVD with follows Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright to Toronto where they meet George Romero and film their cameos in the movie. It's really funny.

Free cookie to the first person who tells me where Simon and Edgar appear in Land of the Dead.

They appear as the phone booth zombies in the carnivale/ bar scene.

Edited by Shakezulah

Spot on. I didn't notice them the first time i played through, the makup is really extensive. It's really funny in the featurette about it, they kept taunting the girl getting her photo taken with them so she kept laughing.

Well, IMDb is good for many things :D:P

I think I should buy the DVD...

I so knew you looked it up. :P

I got lucky, i got the DVD new for 15 bucks. Canadian. Normally it's 30.

It's an awesome DVD, there's so much extra stuff. I love it. My current third favourite Zomb.

haha yeah, as i said, i got a decent laugh out of it at least. :)

Haha yeah, the Aliens... 'I'm comfortable with who I am'

Is there an alternate ending? Because the original one sucked so bad. Other than that, the movie totally rocked.

I never really thought of my favorite zombie movies list...

I guess they would be

Shaun of the Dead

Dawn of the Dead Remake

Land of the Dead

and uh...I don't even know from there. There's so many old, cheesy zombie movies running through my head I can't even choose one to continue the list. :lol:

As zombie movies, Resident Evil (both of them) suck, but as action movie they're excellent, so I couldn't really put those on my list. I mean yeah, I enjoy the zombie fighting parts in the movies, but they suck compared to REAL zombie movies.

Yeah i know, i always hesitate in putting them into my zomb collection, but they are technically movies with zombies in them. the first one is more of a zombie movie than the second, but that's probably because in the second you never actually get a clear shot of a zombie. :rolleyes:

My favourites list, at least the top three, is the same.

Lately i can't stop watching Dawn, it's so damned good. I love the way it's filmed. I think if Stanley Kubrick was ever to do a zomb movie, it would be alot like Dawn.

Yeah i know, i always hesitate in putting them into my zomb collection, but they are technically movies with zombies in them. the first one is more of a zombie movie than the second, but that's probably because in the second you never actually get a clear shot of a zombie.

Yeah it sucks. The only parts in Apoc where zombies are shown up close is when the cameramen do all that up-close shaky crap. But in the action scenes where it's mostly gun usage, they don't seem to have any camera "problems" when the zombies are far away; same with the lickers and dogs, except they don't have problems showing them at all. it's a shame though, because the zombies in Apoc (what little you can see of them) are actually pretty cool looking. Like in the cemetery scene you can see some of them coming up from the ground, and they look pretty sick. Since Anderson is directing the 3rd movie, I'm hoping that they can keep the old rotten zombie look because RE1 had great camera work. The zombies in RE1 were okay I guess, but I prefer rotting corpses instead of freshly deceased ones.

My favourites list, at least the top three, is the same.

Lately i can't stop watching Dawn, it's so damned good. I love the way it's filmed. I think if Stanley Kubrick was ever to do a zomb movie, it would be alot like Dawn.

I also like the way it's filmed. It just has a really unique atmosphere to it. I'm hoping that the Day Remake has the same feeling, although that's a lot to hope for.

I haven't heard anything about the remake of Day of the Dead, sadly. It is the only one of Romeros trilogy now that doesn't have a remake, so it definately is due.

Is it a definate that it's being done?

I wonder if it'll be a sequel to the remake of Dawn, or if it'll be a stand-alone movie like Dawn remake was.

It has it's own IMDb page. It is a stand alone movie, and it is greenlighted, but that's all. There's no script (as far as I'm aware) and no cast list yet. The only thing I know about it is that the rights to it are owned by the same people who did Contagium, which seems to have p***ed a lot of people off, but I doubt that will ruin it at all. It's set director is Steve Minor, who has directed movies like Lake Placid and Halloween H20. So uh...I dunno. H20 was okay. Lake Placid was very underrated, I liked the directing in that movie very much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489018/

As for a direct Dawn sequel, there have been rumors of one, but I'm not exactly sure if it's official yet.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder how they'll make a stand-alone of Day of the Dead though. I mean, they'll have a hard time throwing an outbreak in there. They'll have to just start with the world already overrun by zombies.

I guess what they'll probably do is just rely on Romeros storyline and work it into that universe rather than making a complete remake like Dawn.

Yeah they're basically using Romero's screenplay and that's it. I suppose the outbreak will be in the movie the same it was in the Dawn remake.

Speaking of zombie movies....

Last night I saw the WORST and I do mean WORST zombie movie ever! My daughter and I read the description of the movie and thought, "interesting, let's watch it"....BIG mistake!! The sysnopsis read something like "unsuspecting musician joins boy band who all turn out to secretly be zombies". I think it was called Ring of Darkness and it looked like a made for tv movie. It starred (get this) Adrianne Barbeau!! It had so much filler of these 18 year old pretty boy guys posing for the camera and pouting that I really felt ill and the zombie make-up consisted of green face paint!

Avoid this movie at all costs!

On a different note, I watched the Simon Pegg special feature on the Land of the Dead dvd before I watched the movie. I never would have recognized Simon otherwise--the make-up was so extreme!

I'd have to say Evil Dead is pretty gory for it's time....remember when the pencil goes in the ankle? Ick. Most of the gore does suspiciously look like colored oatmeal though.... ;)

Day of the dead was the last great zombie movie,Land of the dead wasn't bad but could have been better.But if you ask me the horror genre is dead completely.

Thanks for the heads up coldethyl, i'll be sure to bypass that one. :lol:

Sounds just as good as 'The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies.' :lol:

I do agree BazookaTooth, these days i wouldn't consider what Hollywood calls a 'Horror' movie to actually be a horror movie. Land of the Dead i would definately consider much more of an action movie than a horror. Same with Dawn of the Dead remake, although it did have some frightening aspects in it. Loosely.

The zombie movies of old definately have a charm that cannot be matched by todays standards.

When There's no More Room in Hell...

Does best evil announcer voiceover:

...Satan moves to a 2 bedroom condo in the suburbs...

...and stops at a Starbucks every morning on his morning commute to hell...

Sorry...don't mind me...lots of coffee this morning...

Edited by Fluffybunny

A rule of thumb Dave and I usually follow is that if there's a new zombie film out, we'll see it! it makes for a good cuddle film :yes: and its hysterical because im not overly creeped out while watching it in the movies, but see a week later...i stay awake in bed at 1am going :blink: if zombies eat my family, i can slide down the back of my bed and go behind my desk - with my phone on silent and my water bottle...and a blanket to cover myself in so they dont find me...even though they'd smell me anyway and eat me in my blankie... :ph34r:

:rolleyes:

...anyway, theres a film that came out about 2 years ago, it was an aussie fim and completely crud but its an entertainly gory film...i think its called Blood, but i couldnt tell you for sure to be honest!

I love Dawn of the Dead, and i havent seen the original, although i really should try and see it...but i have the Dawn remake dvd, Land of the Dead (which just quietly i cacked myself watching...especially the start with the tambourine playing zombie, and the boyfriend-girlfriend zombie couple...) and Shaun of the dead..that film i swear i could watch 50 billion times over and i still go into hysterics, i love it!

The resident evil movies are also pretty dang cool! I own Resident Evil Apocalypse, and i neeeeeed to buy the first one because i love that one just as much as the first one!!

Burnside, have you ever heard of UrbanDead? IT's an awesome online zombie game, you play as any number of things, like, a civilian, a medic, a lab tech etc... and yeah...if you dont know what it is, check it out, its pretty awesome (even though the other day i fell asleep and i woke up as a zombie :(

:D

Edited by tiddlyjen

A rule of thumb Dave and I usually follow is that if there's a new zombie film out, we'll see it! it makes for a good cuddle film :yes: and its hysterical because im not overly creeped out while watching it in the movies, but see a week later...i stay awake in bed at 1am going :blink: if zombies eat my family, i can slide down the back of my bed and go behind my desk - with my phone on silent and my water bottle...and a blanket to cover myself in so they dont find me...even though they'd smell me anyway and eat me in my blankie... :ph34r:

hahaha. maybe you should make a zombie contingency plan, you know, just incase. Something other than being eaten in your blankie anyway. :D

...anyway, theres a film that came out about 2 years ago, it was an aussie fim and completely crud but its an entertainly gory film...i think its called Blood, but i couldnt tell you for sure to be honest!

Can't say i've heard of it. Would you recommend it?

I love Dawn of the Dead, and i havent seen the original, although i really should try and see it...but i have the Dawn remake dvd, Land of the Dead (which just quietly i cacked myself watching...especially the start with the tambourine playing zombie, and the boyfriend-girlfriend zombie couple...) and Shaun of the dead..that film i swear i could watch 50 billion times over and i still go into hysterics, i love it!

The remake of Dawn, as well as Land are definately up there in my top favourite zombie movies. As well as Shaun, which IS my top favourite zomb movie. I like them all for different reasons. Land is interesting, gory, funny and action packed. Dawn is pretty damn freaky even for me, and Shaun is just fantastic. It has everything, humour, realism, scares, sadness, action, etc. So good! :D

The resident evil movies are also pretty dang cool! I own Resident Evil Apocalypse, and i neeeeeed to buy the first one because i love that one just as much as the first one!!

Yeah the RE movies are alright. I'm a massive Resident Evil fan in terms of the games, i have 12 of the 15 of them. But the movies did a great injustice to the games and i've always been a little bitter about that. The first one is really good and close to the game in terms of atmosphere, cameras etc, as well as it's definately a zombie movie. The second is excellent for eye candy, but i can't bring myself to see it AS Resident Evil, it's so badly done. Not to mention you barely even SEE a zombie in it, thanks to the crazy shaky camera. :(

Burnside, have you ever heard of UrbanDead? IT's an awesome online zombie game, you play as any number of things, like, a civilian, a medic, a lab tech etc... and yeah...if you dont know what it is, check it out, its pretty awesome (even though the other day i fell asleep and i woke up as a zombie :(

Once you get to level 34 and have EVERY zombie and human skill you can get, it gets a little boring. :lol: But yes, i've played it since it went online and it was alright at first but now it's just so slow and neglected i can't bring myself to log in. Occasionally i check to see if there's any new skills to buy, but that's it.

Urban Dead is kinda lame. Outbreak was so much better until the admin kept reseting it and making it annoying.

Okay, I totally forgot to mention something yesterday, and I can't believe it slipped my mind.

There's this new indie zombie film that's being made (actually, it's been done for months) called Automaton Transfusion. The director used a grittier type of film, and it's directed just like a classic old zombie movie, with fast zombies like in the Dawn remake, except in this movie, they actually explain how they can run as fast as they do. On IMDb, a bunch of people who were zombie extras in the movie posted, saying how this movie is going to become an instant cult classic. Everyone says it's an amazing movie--they only watched rough cuts too, which means it must be even better. They also said this is one of the goriest films ever made, which is good. It was supposed to be released back in October in the theaters, but never was. The new news is that it has a Hollywood premiere next month. I'm hoping that's true, because the way this movie sounds, I'm going to love it. It might be the best zombie movie ever made. I saw old teaser trailers back in August I believe. They were only like 30 seconds long, but they looked awesome. I'm not sure where there are trailers anymore, because new ones were made and added to sites and then taken off, plus I think the official website dissapeared a few months back.

Here's the IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469683/

Not much on it. The forums is the only thing worth looking at.

I also heard that the director plans on making it a trilogy. I think it would be so awesome to go and be a zombie extra in the next movie. If given the opprtunity, I would definately do it.

Blood will run, what an awesome tagline haha. You've totally psyched me for it man, any more stuff on the net you can find about it?