Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you like to convert people?

Super Pancake

I think I could guess how most of you would feel about it, but lets talk about it anyway.

If you could convert somebody to your religion/spirituality/philosophy would? this goes out to Atheist also. Why?

Do you feel like there is an obligation for you to convert a person? why?

Do you feel like you did the right thing, even feel like you saved that person? why?

Would you use force, deception, or brain washing to convert somebody? why?

Or do you think its wrong to convert someone? Why?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bacca

• Paranoid Android

• Welsh Shaun

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if someone asks you about your faith/belief/or lack there of you tell them as much as they want to know. At that point it is their choice if they want to go further with it or not. I do not feel that you should just offer up information because you think that someone else might want to know. It is like saying that you know more then the person you are talking to about something that is entirely based on an opinion and interpertation.

The idea of converting someone i think if you force your idea on someone you are wrong it is no person's place to do so.

IMO. Offering information to someone by personal experience- that being you have a belief system is not making you look better. It is just saying you care by giving advice. If the person is insecure with themselves in a way that they see it as soemthing different then they are really needing more help then you think.

My friend said something about " preaching" I never preach at my friends. Especially because I value them. If they ask I tell. If they want help I advise. Some feel conviction and it isn't even what I said. They just know from prior beliefs that they may really feel they are doing wrong. It never is the person telling you it really is yourself.

101 what if the best advise you could offer someone would go against your personal religion would you still give the advise? or would you give them bad advise to keep with you personal choice of faith?

Thats a good question, would I try and convert someone?

Answer, (I think) No!

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and ideals. However, if I thought that their beliefs were detremental to themselves and family and friends, perhaps towards me in a way, then I may try to talk/convert that person.

101 what if the best advise you could offer someone would go against your personal religion would you still give the advise? or would you give them bad advise to keep with you personal choice of faith?

I do offer advice that is againist my personal beliefs as well as advice that supports my beliefs.

ok, so you do think that your religion doesn't have all the answers?

Yes, I would convert as many people as I could.

I would convert everyone to their own ideas, and beliefs.

Peace TNO ;)

Conversion is force, whether direct or covert. It is a form of mind control and mind control is nothing but bad. Proselytism is the founding evil of the Catholic Church from which all later evils of the Church flow. What's true is true and that should be enough to convince anyone; anything more is force.

I practice shamanism/witchcraft and experience psychic phenomena quite regularly. Am I gonna coerce someone into studying with a teacher? Such a person wouldn't last long, if the teacher accepted them in the first place. The notion of conversion is absurd in my context. And coercing someone into "believing" in psychic awareness would be quite pointless; it would be like coercing a blind person to believe in what I can see--means nothing to them, serves only my childish ego (not saying plenty of psychics don't play that way, just saying it stinks).

I see a lot of people talking about belief on this board, and from where I sit, the only things one is in a position to "believe" are things which have no real baring on their lives. If something matters, it matters because it is real; because it is affecting them-- and you either deal with it or you do not.

Jesus says: "If those who seek to attract you say to you: 'See, the Kingdom is in heaven!' then the birds of heaven will precede you. If they say to you: 'It is in the sea!' then the fish will precede you. But the kingdom is within you and it is outside of you! When you know yourselves, then and only then you will be known, and you will know that it is you who are the sons of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you will be in a state of poverty, and it is you who are the poverty!"

--Gospel of Thomas

I don't believe that conversion is a wise or healthy thing; Spirituality is something you have to find yourself, it can't be told to you. Not to mention I've never seen somebody 'convert' somebody else for a very long time, if ever.

ok, so you do think that your religion doesn't have all the answers?

I never said that.

But with some people you have to relate to them differently,

if you would give advise that goes against your faith, as you said you do. then obviously your faith doesn't have all of the answers.

what part of that didn't you say?

I do offer advice that is againist my personal beliefs as well as advice that supports my beliefs.

That is what you said, but I think what you meant was you would IF the truth they were seeking went against your personal beliefs.

Am I right?

if you would give advise that goes against your faith, as you said you do. then obviously your faith doesn't have all of the answers.

Advise that I give is of the sexual nature. My friends are not married. This is why the advise is going againist my faith.

But I think my faith has a lot of answers though. Maybe not all. It does not tell us how to make Corned beef hash.

You mentioned brainwashing, and I have no respect for that. I don't think it's right to go out of your way to manipulate people.

I would never try to convert anybody. It's not your choice to begin with.

The ability to discern truth is innate in all of us truth needs no spokesperson it just is and you know it when you hear it. Religion seems to think its job is to convince you of God and what 'god' wants that is in error, the only purpose of any doctrine or dialogue is to return you to yourself, to get you in touch with your innermost truth, to direct you to your deeper understandings bring you greater clarity, a creator of the dialogue wouldn't care how this is done or how it occurs, We are moving into a time where many are eagerly embracing a larger more expanded idea of "god/ life" which will have an enormous effect on religon as it is currently understood. namaste sheri

I think everyone has their own path. If yours is Deism, fine and dandy. If it is Christianity, as long as you don't push it on me and others, fine and dandy. If yours is Paganism or Wiccan, fine and dandy. I will show you where your logic or historical facts are faulty, but I will not try to convert you to Deism. - Mako :yes:

I think I could guess how most of you would feel about it, but lets talk about it anyway.

If you could convert somebody to your religion/spirituality/philosophy would? this goes out to Atheist also. Why?

Do you feel like there is an obligation for you to convert a person? why?

Do you feel like you did the right thing, even feel like you saved that person? why?

Would you use force, deception, or brain washing to convert somebody? why?

Or do you think its wrong to convert someone? Why?

I think it is wrong to convert anyone to think along the same lines as you...even if you don't have a religion but are like me and still believe in God..I couldn't bring myself to convert those who do not believe to start believing :no:

It is wrong to tell others .......

That their personal beliefs are wrong

They will go to hell for not having the same faiths as you

Their God/Gods are false

Their lifestyle of their choice is wrong and a sin

They must follow your way or no way...they will burn in the flames of hell if they don't

In order to pull a stunt like that is brainwashing...and you would give someone the impression that it's not a religion you belong to more of a cult :ph34r:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I would inform simply. I wouldnt force you to believe anything, but if you wish to know about what I believe in, then I would provide you with information. After that, I'd leave you to decide.

Edited by Aaleyah-Abqurah

As an occultist, I practice a mystical system not based on beliefs, but teachable experience. Since mysticism is only for the few who are ready, there is no need to convince. "When the student is ready, the teacher will come" is as true as "When the teacher is ready, a student will come". I don't believe in "belief". All gods are one.

ok, to use an example. I was at a friend's house when their next door neighbour came over. her gay son was diagnosed with AIDS six months ago, and she was in "one of those moods". What was I to say, I wonder. Give her a lecture on homosexuality (my biblical belief)? Or comfort her. Offer words of wisdom, ways to help. Support groups. Give hope.

See what I'm saying. Do what is Loving. What is right.

Regards, PA

If you could convert somebody to your religion/spirituality/philosophy would? this goes out to Atheist also. Why? I cannot convert anyone. I can tell people my beliefs, but only God can change people's hearts.

Do you feel like there is an obligation for you to convert a person? why? Matthew 28:18, the Great commission, is Jesus' command to us to spread the gospel to all nations. As Christians, we are obliged to be witnesses. To proclaim the Word of God. That's not to say we should browbeat people or continue to witness if they're not willing to listen. If they don't want to listen, what makes them likely to be more likely to accept if you speak it at them anyway?

Do you feel like you did the right thing, even feel like you saved that person? why? I would be doing the right thing, and in my opinion, the person would be "saved". But it is only God who has the power to change people's hearts. I'm just the messenger.

Would you use force, deception, or brain washing to convert somebody? why? NO!!!! A forced conversion is no conversion. I can only be an example of what it is to be Christian. ANd when people know me and see me, they'll say, hey there's something different about this guy. Maybe I should find out his secret.

Or do you think its wrong to convert someone? Why? It is wrong to convert by force, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your beliefs, and if it happens that God works in their lives to change them, then hallelujah I say.

Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

few years ago i would try to open someones mind for different subjects philosophical, political, etc but people dont even want to hear anything whether its true or not. so i just gave up to humanity so if you want to believe that the pig flies i would probably say yeah, i wont even bother giving him my opinion except if he is educated and we can have a nice discusion

in other words i dont care what people believe because most people are so close minded that i will just lose my time

thats my opinion and what i do. if i am wrong of my approach pls do correct me.

have a nice day

Hmmmm interesting thread. If i could convert someone to my religion...would i? Well it depends by what you mean "could". If a person that i know is looking for something new, is seeking a belief- then i would talk about my religion and see what they thought about it.

Yet me and my mates barely talk about religion- but sometimes the topic comes up and we all talk about our beliefs and its fantastic conversation. I love to hear about what they believe and noticing how similar it all is. As for an obligation- there is no obligation for me to convert someone at all. I dont feel obliged to stick my nose in other peoples business. I know of some people that are very pushy with conversion and i think its silly- maybe they get a sense of power from it, and a sense of completion or maybe even a "token" from God for doing so. Yet im not like that at all. Im very humble in my beliefs and dont much talk about it- but if someone is really interested, i can go for hours trust me. :rofl: