Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Newby Church Ghost

Althalus

Another old photo, this ghost was photographed inside Newby Church, N Yorkshire, in the early 1960s, by Revd KF Lord. He saw nothing at the time.

user posted image

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• GIZZIE

• Magikman

• Loonboy

I've seen this one before, I don't think its a ghost. But I think its what a ghost photo should look like.

I like it.

:s03

I know it's an old photo,  but the ghost looks just like the bad guy from the movie,  "Scream".  Otherwise,  it would be (a little) more convincing.   :sd

dude i really think it is a ghost, cuz ive seen this photo over and over and there is more evidence to say it is a ghost than an alternative excuse. when it was originally taken wasn't it up side down or something? they reckon its a monk (a very distressed on at that)

It was said that it was a monk, but it looks like it has a cloth over its head, with the eye holes cut out, and then a hood up.  (If you notice, the apparition has folds in the face area).

This photo was in a book about ghosts and hauntings I read a few years ago. I think (but I'm not entirely sure) that the book said it was a fake. If only I wasn't so disorganised I would look for it!  :sm

But if it were real... Would the ghost be annoyed that they sell masks like his face in joke shops!  :sd He might even sue the makers of Scream....

I think this photograph looks a bit too good to be true. The ghost looks a bit too much like something out of a horror movie, but if it is real, it's one hell of a picture.

:sd

What I find rather distressing is the visage of an agonizingly tortured soul in a church of all places. What's up with that? and just what does it say for the supposed blessed sanctity of the dwelling? I could see this 'spirit' haunting a graveyard, dilapidated building or even the bottom of an empty wine casket maybe, but a church? Possibly it is a sworn atheist who died whilst cleaning the stained glass windows, and his 'hell' is to spend eternity within an environment he disavowed. That would certainly be poetic justice, wouldn't it?  :o

Magikman  :sg

[blue]I read in a book on poltergeists that the vast majority of hauntings occur in supposedly religious buildings: rectories, presbytries and churches (NB Borley Rectory).

BOO

heh heh heh

[/blue]

I used to hate looking at this photo, just for the initial shock value it had.  :s4

But it does look fake I must admit!  :sd

I think it entirely depends on your own perception of a ghost - most people seem to think they are shadowy beings (a perfect example being the photo), headless, limbless,translucent etc etc. They all seem to fit the stereo type.  The same goes for aliens - they all look the same - distorted heads, great big eyes etc.

Whilst I know nothing about aliens (I neither disbelieve nor believe), I really don't believe in the "classic" ghost.  I have seen and experienced many things, but whether they were ghosts or not, I really don't know.  One in particular, was as solid and as alive as we are, but simply vanished (and no, I don't do drugs!).

I sometimes wonder if we appear as ghosts to another life in another dimension.......................? :s09

With respect, Rebecca, that's not quite what I meant.

Just suppose that other beings/humans if you like, exist on another dimension. I wonder if we can appear to them.

Did you know that you don't necessarily have to be dead to be classed as a "ghost"?

Doppleganger - the "spitting" image of you can appear - whether this is a self projection or not is up for debate.

Poltergeists never appear, they can create havoc but you'll never see them (they are "supposed" to be the energy of pent up rage and frustration from adolescents, in particular girls.  Why girls, I don't know).  I know when we're adolescents our hormones are "jigging" around and most adults are either stupid or so old or both but ...................causing poltergeist problems, I don't know.

As a teenager, I used to play the Ouija board frequently and as an adult, I would say "Don't mess with it, because it's more powerful than we are.  It won't get hurt but, it can hurt".

End of "sermon" ;D

Thanks for the info Loon Boy

What about when you meet your own Doppelganger?

Some theories are a DG is infact an astral projection, some theories say that a DG the soul of a person and some theories that anything astral is connected with the soul................. ??? ??? :s09

What's the difference between a ghost, spirit, phantom, spectre, entity? etc.  Sorry, it's not a joke :s09

If there is a difference, it's important to identify each one and their differences.

As we now have euros I can freely say;

My two cents worth or whatever it is they say.

an entity is usually evil or malevolent, there are not really any differences between the others that I know of.  Apart from a spirit is something we all have inside us.

Sort of...............................because from what I know about astral projection, it can't be done spontaneously, i.e. whilst the conscious is conscious ( ???).  Certain dreams can be considered to involve astral projection (a post I am preparing for the near future) and certain OBE's as well. Many years ago, I met a man who claimed to have astrally projected and in order to do so, had to spend many months training to conscious to "lie down".  I think that Buddhists and Yoga masters are able to project astrally (is it a verb?).  I remember reading a book called "The Wisdom of the Ancients" by Lobsang Rampa which was very interesting (if anyone knows where I could get a copy, I would love to hear from them) and went into detail about astral proecting (I think it's maybe not a verb!!).

That's what I sort of meant (sort of) :su

:-* :-* :-* Althalus

Here we always give 3 kisses - how many kisses you give depends on the region.

Have a read and see if you enjoy. :-* :-* :-*

(We also kiss when we depart) :st

Alathus

I am "shot to pieces" here.  After the excitement of having found the author of a book, I read at around 11 yrs of age, I have just read that the French consider him to be a fraudster...........................!!!

This is terrible news to a "grown up" 11 yr old, especially as I was going to suggest that people rad what he had to say - O me miserum isall I can utter right now.

If he was a fraudster, then he was damm convincing (being English, I've always doubted the French.  even more so now I live here) and I don't know what to say - gob-smacked comes to mind!

Check it out and see what you have to say ...............please? :s02 :s01 :s4

OK it says that he willingly gave up his body to that of a tibetan monk, that i have never heard of before, apart from in films and stories.  

But that is not to say that it can not actually happen, just because we have not seen it, does not mean it is not there.

All in all i like it, it seems to me Tuesday Lobsang Rampa knows what he is talking about, the afterlife and all that.

The bit on UFO's is a bit hard to swallow, so i belive that the spiritual bits are accurate but the other bits are made up for the money and profit.

• 9 months later...

It's weird that people consider this photograph to be a fake because of it's resemblance to the'Scream' horror mask. How would they have known what the mask looked back back in the 60's?

I've read countless reports regarding this photograph, and there has been no explainations as to how it could have been faked. I'm sure I've seen the negative for it as well and the figure is on there.

Definate authentic photo.