Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Newby Church Ghost

Althalus

I always thought that the Newby Church ghost looked fake- I first saw the picture in a book I had when I was 9 and it didn't scare me, but recently I've started to find the picture quite creepy as there's so much evidence to say that it's genuine. But there are so many strange facts- the church was only built in the 1870s and the ghost hasn't been seen by anyone, or even photographed again. I agree that the ghost, if it is real, could be a leper or a person with serious deformities, this would explain the face covering.

Newby Chruch, or to give its full name, The Church of Christ The Consoler, in is in the grounds of Newby Hall and was built by the family at Newby Hall in memory of their son who was killed in Greece- I wonder if it's actually his ghost- but of course, this doesn't explain the black cloak and face covering. I've researched the history of the area around Newby Hall and there's not much information about the Middle Ages, so it's possible a leper might have lived in the area where the church now stands. The strangest thing is the ghost's height, though- all other ghost photos I've seen show figures of a "normal" height, why is the ghost nine feet tall?

Edited by MattM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• GIZZIE

• Magikman

• Loonboy

:lol: Well if you look closely toward the altar rail,you will see a bend in the ghost with the hood.

I think it is standing near the altar,behined the altar rail.And that there is another figure

kneeling in front of the altar rail based on the way the clothing is spread out from the body.In otherwords there are two figures there.VEveryone concentrates on the ghost with the hood,and no one notices the other one.

the ghost isn't nine feet tall.There is actually another figure kneeling at the altar rail wearing dark clothing whose robe is spread out around them. Unfortunately,you can't see it's head,but there is another figure there.Just look at the area of the altar rail.

user posted image

Im not sure where this other kneeling thing is but what doesnt make sense to me and Im not sure if anyone pointed this out or not, is the fact that the bar is infront of "him" which is on the second set of steps. The "ghost" is standing on the first set of stairs so how does that work?

This is an old thread im sure its been discovered by now.

The "ghost" is standing on the first set of stairs so how does that work?

I think that is the 2nd figure they are referring to. The shadow in front of the rail is the 2nd figure kneeling down in front of the 1st figure which is behind the rail.

Or so I think... ^_^

This is interesting about the second ghost. Can't see it right now but will look again later with a clearer mind. Am really interested. Have seen this picture several times and have never heard of a second one.

I've looked closely at the photo and I can see a shadowy shape just below the pillar past the top of the steps. It seems to be shaped in a similar way to someone kneeling, but it's hard to distingusish from the hooded figure. If this isn't another figure, then it's hard to say what it could be, as this shape doesn't appear anywhere else behind the hooded ghost.

I enjoyed my visit to Newby Church, it is a beautiful, well bulit Victorian church with a very colourful interior. It felt very strange walking to the altar seeing the area of the church that has appeared on website after website. I've never heard of anyone trying to photgraph the altar again.