Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Shouting in the jungle"

Hazzard

So hazzard, you've read the Drake equation concerning civilizations and decided to palm it off as your own original thoughts.

Drakes equation is nothing more than an educated guess,and so is everyone elses on this topic at this time.We just don't know,granted,there are some woo woo ideas out there and on this forum,Franks is not one of them.

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_drake_equation.html

Drake Equation Calculator.

http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=179074

I may not agree with his entire equation but most of it makes sense.

Edited by hazzard

• 16 years later...

On 1/20/2006 at 9:17 PM, vertigoflow said:

..."THEY" get it, rub their chin with a tenticle and say, "Now we know what they look like, where they live and the composition of their DNA...

Maybe, if we dig up the likes of Jimmy Durante, Don Rickles or Jim Neighbors and then send their DNA comp out into space, malevolent aliens might then leave us alone, thinking that destroying us would be doing us a favor :rolleyes:

Sorry for digging up this old thread. But it's the thread of which linked me onto this forum :-*

• Haha 4

On 1/20/2006 at 12:01 PM, Hazzard said:

Earthlings haven't made many deliberate broadcasts to extraterrestrials, but in 1974, as part of a ceremony at the economy-sized Arecibo radio telescope, the observatory staff arranged to beam a three-minute message to a few hundred thousand stars in the constellation of Hercules.

The message consisted of a simple picture showing the structure of our solar system and the structure of ourselves DNA and its chemical building blocks. Innocuous enough.

What was not so innocuous was the reaction. Englands Astronomer Royal was aghast at the thought of our freelance pinging of unknown galactic inhabitants. Despite the fact that the message was short and directed to a globular cluster 21,000 light-years distant, he felt that we might be endangering ourselves by "shouting in the jungle."

So,what do you think.

Given the brevity and remote target of this broadcast, such concerns were surely overwrought. But the point is worth considering: Would anyone deliberately beam high-powered signals into space? Is that realy a good idea,granted we wont live to see or witness the effect of the outcome,but some one will be here.Can we assume that extraterrestrial societies would broadcast in ways that would mark their location as plainly as a flag on a golf green?

Two things….

people assume the worse and not the logical…. If an advanced life could travel light speed…. Why would they visit ants? Because of our gold? Lol there are planets of gold… because of our sexy ladies? Ok.. because of our resources or labor? Lol… we have nothing to offer an advanced life. Nothing. Nothing. If you can travel the stars you are not going to Reynosa Mexico.

and second… I’ve shouted in various jungles. All that usually happens is monkeys tossing **** on you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nobu said:

If you can travel the stars you are not going to Reynosa Mexico.

The cartels may have shouted them the flight.

• Like 3

Wow :lol: That was during the Best Evidence era. I believe those two threads hit a couple of thousand pages each.

Good times.

• Like 1

2006!!  If I remember correctly, the OP was originally written in cuneiform and later translated.

• Haha 4

On your 16 yo question which is the core to many sci fi stories.

I would think if an alien race was savvy enough to decypher anything we shot into space they would already know we were here but getting here is another story

So in general im not concerned with it especially since the fact ambers dog stepping on a bee capitaved soo many people last week it doesnt really sell earthlings as anything to want to go meet.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

4FC2ADD3-7458-4AA6-9CA7-3973C4D67A1A.jpeg

DF5508BC-5839-48E1-9F7F-50715E5DCB62.png

C3AD5AEF-F728-4AB7-BA05-0C20DA4504AF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Hazzard said:

Wow :lol: That was during the Best Evidence era. I believe those two threads hit a couple of thousand pages each.

Good times.

Holy crap. Blast from the past Hazz. Good times indeed. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited to add: I actually think this was before the Best Evidence thread, part 1. 

Edited by badeskov
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2006 at 7:14 PM, mr. E said:

...the signals we send now will only affect our future generations is an irresponsible action to take. it has the potential to be like lighting a fuse and then walking away without seeing what happens...

Well, it now seems that the chickens aren't waiting that long for coming home to roost. This time around, it looks to be weirdo chickens from not as far away as would be desired:

https://earthsky.org/space/weird-radio-waves-from-milky-way-center-askap-j173608-2-321635/

[quote=]...The radio waves are coming from the direction of the center of our Milky Way galaxy....[/quote]

Weird radio waves shown as spirals coming toward Earth from distant glowing point in space.

Edited by Autistocrates