Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Canadian soldiers set to depart

Thanato

More Canadian soldiers set to depart for Kandahar

Soldiers from bases in Manitoba and Alberta are saying goodbye to their loved ones Saturday morning as they get ready to fly to Afghanistan.

About 80 soldiers from the Edmonton Garrison will board a military Airbus for a flight to Winnipeg, where they will be joined by 65 soldiers from CFB Shilo near Brandon.

They represent the first wave of 1,000 soldiers from Edmonton and 250 from Shilo who are joining the U.S.-led campaign against militants in the Kandahar region in the coming weeks.

They're leaving just a week after a senior diplomat was killed in a suicide bomb blast that also wounded three Canadian soldiers.

Canada has about 650 troops in Afghanistan and plans to increase its military presence in Kandahar to about 2,200 by February.

News of the increasing violence, which has left five Canadian soldiers seriously injured in the last month and a half, has added to the stress for the families the soldiers are leaving behind.

Colin MacPhail, who works in the military family resource centre at the Edmonton Garrison, said it's a tough time for families.

"Many of the families have been used to it; some of them are brand new to the situation and aren't aware of anything," he said. "It's a stressful time ... however they understand the purpose of the missions and we really recognize the support of the heroes behind the heroes."

MacPhail said the resource centre is offering a lot of support to families. Many events are planned over the next six to nine months when the soldiers are scheduled to be away.

Ottawa has committed to sending more troops to the Kandahar area as part of an expanded role which military leaders acknowledged from the start could result in combat and casualties.

Source

~Thanato

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thanato

• Xyfer

• __Kratos__

• PLO

Top Posters In This Topic

no wonder their having to get more help, afghanistan is goin down the sh**er, canada are pretty pro-right and pro bush these days arent they?

Edited by PLO

no wonder their having to get more help, afghanistan is goin down the sh**er, canada are pretty pro-right and pro bush these days arent they?

Far from it.

Incidentally, I live in Edmonton and so does my cousin who's in the Canadian military. He's been to Afghanistan, apparently it's hell on earth. I wonder if he's getting sent out with this wave.

Edited by angrycrustacean

No.

Stop at home Canadians, dont give this Bush Nazi regime anymore credit, dont forget they stole your lumber. Its time the sensible Countries in this world stopped helping Bush and his cronies , they are Evil.

Im English and proud of it but our Prime Minister is George Bushes lapdog, i find that disturbing, he sees himself more important than looking after the Country.

Canadians are nice people and i dont want you to get involved with the crap Bush and Tony represent, so keep out of it. :angry:

Edited by billystevo

Stop at home Canadians, dont give this Bush Nazi regime anymore credit, dont forget they stole your lumber. Its time the sensible Countries in this world stopped helping Bush and his cronies , they are Evil.

Im English and proud of it but our Prime Minister is George Bushes lapdog, i find that disturbing, he sees himself more important than looking after the Country.

Canadians are nice people and i dont want you to get involved with the crap Bush and Tony represent, so keep out of it. :angry:

Actually I believe they are going because of the U.N.

its a NATO comitment, we have been there since the begining.

~Thanato

Ahh... thanks for clearing that up. :)

Yes they are, I've been following the election and they have their own bush????namaste Sheri

:tu: I salute those soldiers who are going overseas and riskng their lives to serve our country. Especialy during the recent Osama Binladen threats.

WHAT?, YOUR VOTING IN A RIGHT WING GOVERMENT

1. That remains to be seen.

2. So?