Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goatmans Bridge Denton, TX (with pics)

chrisgeo

The story is that Klansmen raided the house of the Goatman, Oscar Washburn. He sold goats in our area for an extremely good deal in the 1940-1960s. Klansmen heard of the sales being made by the African American man so they lynched him on the rafters of the bridge. The family found his body and buried his body in an unknown location so that the grave wouldn't be disturbed.

To be honest, all I saw was 'fog'. Nothing that was 'shadow people' or 'cold spot' information. Nice pictures though!

I have a real crazy true story! I was reading the articles about goatmans bridge and had to share my experience. I used to drive up from Dallas to see a girl from lewisville late nite (sneaking out). It was around 1997 and looking for something to do she suggested we go check out goatmans bridge cause of the myth. We had never heard of it but she swore the myth was true So my buddy, her and I went out and parked on the bridge. Just hanging out drinking beer on the bridge ( I was not thinking anything into the myth at all I didnt believe in anything like that). So after 30 minutes or so of just chillin, a rock hits next to us and rolls about 5 feet. Me and ricky (my bud) look at each other like "did that just happen?" so anyways several rocks start hitting one after another (almost the size of a baseball). So I trying to be tough thinking it must be some crazy bum trying to have some peace or somthing start yelling " stop throwing rocks, your gonna hit my truck, if you dont I'm gonna fire my pistol down there". Of course I was bluffing, I didnt want to murder some bum. So this girl we are with is freaking out, crying and digging her nails in me begging to leave. Although we were scared me and Ricky didnt want to seem like pussys. So we are looking down into the draw below, its pretty far down there and we can see the moonlite shinning on the tops of the trees and brush down there as were looking for this nut. So we hear like a distressed animal, sounds like a cat moaning in pain, like someones standing on it off in the distance. Then from right below us we see and hear this "goatman" or something take off running towards it. You couldnt see it or anything but it sounded like a beast crashing through the brush as it ran though the woods you could hear the foot steps and see the branches like dividing and swaying as it ran through the woods, then like snap!!! it killed the cat or whatever it was. But the way it ran through the woods convinced me that whether or not it was some crazy bum or goat or whatever, it was big, it was too comfy in the woods and anything that behaves like that at 3 a.m. I dont want to have anything to do with. Not to convinced in supernatural stuff, but I am a believer in something different out there. After that date I started to believe in bigfoot cause I saw some shows where witnesses say the threw rocks. I have never been back but have wanted to go back, in the DAYTIME! mostly just dont want to get hit in the head by a rock. The reason I even found this site is because I heard the was going to be a special on TV tonight and I wanted to watch so I went online to find it. I dont believe all that spooky stuff but I can say my experience was NUTZ!!!! would love to share the story with anyone, my email is tbone1179@yahoo.com, name is Tommy, yall take it easy

Tbone, Bigfoots DEFINITELY throw rocks. Here is proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhbe_C9mvIs

• 2 weeks later...

Tbone, sounds alot like a Bigfoot experience! u r not the 1st to consider bigfoot as the perpetrador! i would go back in the sunlight and look for tracks or broken trees.

• 2 months later...

A few friends and I went there just last night. One other person and I heard some odd noises under the bridge but we figured it was just fish or frogs. The other two, on our way back to the car, felt zaps on their backs while going under the bar to the lot. In the exact same places. We heard a zap so we either have it that some dip****z were trowing poppers or since it was a metal bar it was electricity and the crossing of the bridge a few times caused it. The strangest and most eerie thing though was driving back we saw a fresh kill laying in the road. Not roadkill, but the ribs were exposed and blood was still pooling around it. My friend was not wearing her glasses and freaked out and thought it was a goat head. :P We are going to go back a few more times with my cameras. We want to find a thermocam. And we plan on scaring some more friends pretty badly. XD

My 16 yr old son and members of the rock band their starting up were taken group pics at various locations around the Denton area last month. When he was showing me the pics they took with my digital camera, all turned out great except for the ones at Goatman's Bridge. Every single one from there was blurry, dark, and/or just not right looking. And it was a sunny & beautiful day out.

When I pointed this out, he freaked a little cause he didn't realize "haunted" areas are known to mess with electronic equipment and cause different sorts of malfunctions.

That is the theory right? Spirits or ghosts can draw upon the energy from the batteries or some such crap?

Edited by OC Blues

That is the theory right? Spirits or ghosts can draw upon the energy from the batteries or some such crap?

You might want to kinda re-word such a question. It doesn't do much for getting a straight answer. Areas with supernatural activity are indeed said to cause electronic equipment to malfunction. I don't think it is as simple as batteries always being drained.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We used to go out to the Old Alton bridge dubbed "Goatman's Bridge" back in High School days, mid 80's. We'd go out there late at night on the weekend, crappy little car, loaded with teenagers. As our car would get close to the bridge everyone would totally freak out! Was so awesome to be that genuinely scared. It was like we were in our own teen-age scary movie. Nothing ever happened, it was just so dark out there. Back in the mid 80's that area was considered "way out in the country" which contributed to the scare factor.

Great times, Great fun! Go check it out!

Here is a web site dedicated to the Goats man www.goatmansbridge.com

:blink:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i recently visited the goatmans bridge in denton texas, my friend and i went around dusk and just decided to go in with an open mind and explore a little bit. we went to the bridge and noticed huge burn marks on it in a complete perfect circle as well as red paint on the bridge, which we thought was odd. we continued over the bridge to the other side where we wandered down the path for a bit, not noticing anything we walked back towards the bridge and our car. we noticed a few marks on the ground that didnt seem to be there before but brushed them off as not being anything of importance just something we didnt see previously. once back to the car we were getting ready to leave when i noticed odd cuts all over my arms and some on my side as well as a few on my legs that had not been there before, i did not touch any shrubs or trees so it was odd. within the next day these cuts turned into larger gashes with added rashes and spots around them. has anyone experienced anything like this with any sites before? i know for a fact that i did not brush up against anything and did not have these cuts before going to the site.

If ya'll look at Shadow People??and squint the shadow looks like a Goatman! ^_^ I feel pleased that I caught that!

Wow. A few people from around here. I'm actually in Denton. I went to this bridge late at night years ago and nothing happened, dammit.

• 6 months later...

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. No offense but, I wonder how accurate the historical background provided is? Even in 1930's Texas, lynching a negro just for putting a sign up seems a bit extreme. It also seems strange that when the body wasn't there, the first thought was to go kill the rest of his family.

Hello!!!

I graduated from UNT in Denton. Goatman uhhhh? I have something better for you. You guys should investigate the the ghost thats at Maple Hall at UNT.(dorm) A young lady was killed a while back and her body was found behind the building. They never found the killer but suspected one of the janitors. Alot of weird stuff has gone on at Maple Hall and I never requested to stay there. If that doesn't spook you, should ask about ask people about the two ghosts at Bruce Hall. There is something (very mean) in the basement of Bruce Hall and another female ghost who lurks the hallways!! All campuses of full of ghosts though..Nice pics!!!

i go to unt currently, although i have never heard of the maple or bruce ghosts. i lived in victory (the newish dorm) my freshman year and my suitemate and i swear our dorms were haunted! it used to be a hotel i think. now i can't wait to go find goatman's bridge! :D

• 9 months later...

a half goat half man type entity called goatman. Supposedly if you squint your eyes you can see goatman.

The Woods With Fog

<a href="http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2113/picture0427ue.jpg" target="_blank">http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2113/picture0427ue.jpg</a>

So what do yall think?

The "goatman" is probably the Goat of Mendes. If you look at the "The Woods With Fog," you might be able to see a vague resemblance to it, but the camera didn't capture the whole fog-image. The horns were cutout. The picture, however, sort of captured the silhouette of the face and the left ear. The orangy lights gave the lizard-like, eye-effect for its left eye. The image is looking towards the right...

Edited by braveone2u

• 9 months later...

I always thought that the Goatman was a black goat farmer, lynched by the KKK for putting a sign up on the bridge. And I am pretty sure that it took place in the 1930s, not 1800s, because the bridge wasn't built until 1884 i think. There are news reports of abandoned cars on the bridge from the 1960s for sure.

I heard some variation of that growing up too except that it was just a goat farmer that was hung. My mom used to load us into the bed of our old truck and drive us across the bridge on Halloween to spook us. You could drive across the bridge up until I was about 17 or so and there was no concrete bridge. It used to be a lot spookier out there before they built the high school and things got over populated. As I said, we've been going out there since I was a little girl and very rarely did anything super scary happen. It always did have a weird feel to it but hiking the trails out there is actually really peaceful. When my mom was in high school they used to drive the freshmen out there and spook them too. The other members of APE would hide up under the bridge and bang on it to scare the crud of of the poor kids.

i go to unt currently, although i have never heard of the maple or bruce ghosts. i lived in victory (the newish dorm) my freshman year and my suitemate and i swear our dorms were haunted! it used to be a hotel i think. now i can't wait to go find goatman's bridge! :D

The Bruce hall ghost is more well known. Victory was built on an old golf course. The Radisson Hotel sat up on the hill but they took it out to put in the new stadium and everything :)