Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tory Victory

Thanato

What do you guys think

Oh well, its not like they can do much when they have to deal with the Grits, NDP, and the only party worse then they are the Bloc.

~Thanato

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeceris

• Stellar

• Thanato

• Natael

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that as long as there's a minority government, not much significant is going to change, because when the conservatives propose something, there will be plenty of petty quibbling by the liberals because of their different ideology. Same for if the liberals won a minority government.

i'm ok with this.

as oare the canadian people, we're giving harper a chance, but he's got a leash around his neck. we still don't trust the guy.

and i think his true colors will show, his tema gave him a good image for the election but the real harper will start to show over time, a scary, mulroneyesque nutbar, and just like i presdicted on the pinned discussion, we'll be back to the polls either this fall, or the following spring.

two things surprised me. martin saying he was going to step down. and belinda stronach winning, maybe she will be the next leader of the liberal party, who knows.

oh, and how and when did dis, become a mod? that's another one i didn't see coming

I think there's still a good chance that the Tories will surprise us. If they play their cards right they could do really, really well and possibly win a majority next time around.

Harper himself said that he's not interested in addressing the gay marriage or abortion issue, it is the Liberals using their scare tactics to try and gain votes.

We desperately needed change. Martin is out and Harper is in!

Change is good.. The Liberal rule is over, time to give the Conservatives a chance :)

Do you still have to answer to the Queen of England in Canada?Or have you got free of us?

Edited by billystevo

Nothing wrong with lower taxes.

ok, here's how parliament will go in the next year or so.

first, harper will put through a bill regarding ethics and more accountability for politicians. this bill will fly through, as no one in their right mind would oppose such a bill, if they did, they'd look crooked, and that is the biggest issue the waterheads think the electorate wants to see.

then harper will advise his caucus to sit on their collective blue butts, and not put through bills re , gay marriage, abortion, mainstays of tory policy.

why?

harper and everyone else knows we'll be voting again in 2 yrs or less, he wants to come across as a sweetheart for that time, look like he's a great guy, and then go into the next election, looking for the majority. once he has that, BOOM, the real policy comes out, and all his buddies out west get their fat faces in the trough, and the not withstanding clause becomes his best friend as he rips apart the rights of canadians re abortion and gay marriage, and other issues, that side wants to take from us.

while harper is in, the west stays happy, as soon as he's gone, they'll get whiney again and blame the problems on the east.

meanwhile over at the liberal ranch.......they'll be looking for a new interim leader. the people who want the leadership, manley, stronach, ignatea(sp?), mckenna, will not want the interim job, the person that gets that gig will not be the long term leader. so for the next 6 months a lot of backroom deals for that gig, until the convention, sometime late summer. they'll want someone there for the new fall session of parliament, to try to bring down harper and his pals.

harper will also set up all kinds of committes to try to get all the dirt he can on the liberal crooked deals over the last 12 years, so that he'll have more ammo when we go to the polls again.

and jack layton and the ndp, who could have been somewhat of a force, will be insignifigant in any of their motions, or social policies. the tories won't listen to them because they know, no one will be bringing them down for at least 2 yrs, because that party will get hit hard from those of us who are tired of voting.

we won't be sending troops to iraq.

there will be more spending in the military tho, and we may now be joining the americans in the anti-space-missile-whatever-useless spending boondoggle-they have going.

all governments have their boondoggle, it's how they pay off those that support them.

gay marriage and abortion are safe for now.

taxes will be cut, but not in a manner that the average person will notice on their paycheck.

and really, not a lot will change, until one party or the other, gets in with a majority.

and that's your political update/prediction.

whaddya think?

• 2 weeks later...

i stun myself on a weekly basis with how little i really know.

so far, my predictions are way wrong.

no liberal wants to step up for the leadership, that or there's allready some backroom deal making the favourites back away.

and now harper. i thought i'd give him the chance, but in his first act as prime minister, forming his cabinet, he shows he's just like every other politician, and the hypocrasy stinks.

he appoints a guy who crosses the floor, after the stronach thing, the tories swore they would never tolerate such an act. LIES

he appoints a guy who didn't even run in the election, and during the campaign, preached about how valuable the democratic process is, and he just goes ahead and ignores the people, and how they voted, very good.

see, i thought he'd wait until he had a majority before coming across as lying hypocrit, but i guess he couldn't hide his true agenda, and character, even that long.

it'll just get worse now

What? Who did he appoint? For what? You're going to have to be a little clearer on that. :P

I don't see anything worth getting so upset over. Really, the country as we know it is not going to end because the Tories won the election. It's just the same poop in a different pile, so to speak.

ok dis, this is what i mean.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/harper_c...es/cabinet.html

he welcomed david emmerson, who won a liberal seat in the election in b.c.

the tories swore they would never ever tolerate crossing the floor after stronach did her thing, in fact they talked about legislation that would make any candidate wanting to cross the floor sit as an independant until a by election could be held, and then that candidate would have to change parties for the new election, they have buried this legisaltion and gone against their word.

harper appointed fortier, who didn't even run in the election, to the senate, harper had promised appointments to the senate would no longer happen under a tory government, he proposed an elected senate. but he went against another promise, and parachuted this guy into an important position.

absolutley it's same poop, different pile, but here he was in the election SWEARING it was going to be different, and he's one week in and it's all the same.

i really didn't expect it so quick, i really did think he'd be different after all the crap from the liberals.

as i first said, i am stunned on a weekly basis of how little i know and how stupid i am to believe there might be change for the better.

Oh yes I heard of the Emerson appointment. I don't know what to say, it's all very typical of the government. Campaign promises are made and then broken, it's nothing new.

Besides, take a look at his response to Gomery's latest report. He barely reacted to it at all, and one of the main focuses of his campaign was to eliminate the corruption and scandals of the government.

Oh yes I heard of the Emerson appointment. I don't know what to say, it's all very typical of the government. Campaign promises are made and then broken, it's nothing new.

that's the way it's always been, so many promises, so little intent.

Besides, take a look at his response to Gomery's latest report. He barely reacted to it at all, and one of the main focuses of his campaign was to eliminate the corruption and scandals of the government.

hey why would he?, then he'd have to try to fix it.

But I do agree change is good, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, we might be pleasently surprised.