Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

t-rex is a hunter

cyrus11

t-rex might have been a faster hunter while it was a juvenile. the jevenile t-rex has a different body build than the adult, and might have acted like female lions to chase down larger prey and corner it till the slower more massive adult to come in for the killing blow.

there have been evidence of an hadrosaur with parts of it's tail spine bitten off by a t-rex and lived long enough to heal the wound.... and another triceratop with it's horn bitten off and parts of it's frill bitten off by a t-rex and lived to heal from the battle... to say that t-rex is a pure scavanger, like jack horner says.. is false.. it's not a scavanger because it's forelimbs were tiny.. (birds of prey has no arms today).... it didn't need arms when it's got a huge head and jaw that produced the most powerful crushing bite... it didn't need longer tibia to humerus ratio as an adult because the juveniles has it so they use that to chase down prey..... and how many apatosaur, triceratop, hadrosaurs, and larger big prey can run like a wildebeest?

consequently, even pure scavangers like vultures today will take a small rodent or other small live animals when opportunity presents itself. no matter how large their olfactory lobe in their brains is.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• cyrus11

• newbloodmoon

• Master Sage

t-rex might have been a faster hunter while it was a juvenile. the jevenile t-rex has a different body build than the adult

How so?

and might have acted like female lions to chase down larger prey and corner it till the slower more massive adult to come in for the killing blow.

Lionesses don't act like that...they ambush, chase and kill all by themselves.

there have been evidence of an hadrosaur with parts of it's tail spine bitten off by a t-rex and lived long enough to heal the wound.... and another triceratop with it's horn bitten off and parts of it's frill bitten off by a t-rex and lived to heal from the battle

So???

like jack horner says

Never trust Horner

no matter how large their olfactory lobe in their brains is

Better hunting it is

T-rex was more a hunter than scavenger, Adult and Juvenile. PERIOD. Why else would it have teeth made for cutting meat, which would easily break when crunching bone....There is much more evidence supporting that T-rex Hunted

I dont really think that the T-Rex was an hunter, he probably be a scavenger. Why? Beacause of its tiny arms. Yes he got a vicious mouth full of vicious teeth, but, imagine, he is chasing a prey and, in is chase, fall on the ground, what will he do? Nothing and he will die laying on the ground. So, probably, the T-Rex was a scavenger.

I believe that the T-Rex was an opportunistic hunter. His/Her head was a massive weapon in of itself let alone the teeth lodged inside it's mouth. This being said, I don't think that the T-Rex would pass up a free meal if it was stumbled upon or chase off smaller predators from a kill much like lions do today. I use the lions as an example for the sake that they were already brought up.

Perhaps as a juvenile little tyke, t-rexes may have banded together to hunt for mutual survivability but once they were large enough and having experience they then went off on their own. Ambush attacks I suspect was the main operandi of hunting and bullying others or scavenging when the opportunity presented themselves.

John Horner has done some great work when it comes to Hadrasaurs, but it is of my opinion that he is incorrect on the T-Rex issue.

I dont really think that the T-Rex was an hunter, he probably be a scavenger. Why? Beacause of its tiny arms. Yes he got a vicious mouth full of vicious teeth, but, imagine, he is chasing a prey and, in is chase, fall on the ground, what will he do? Nothing and he will die laying on the ground. So, probably, the T-Rex was a scavenger.

With a head like that, it doesn't need those arms. It can get up without he help of its arms, how do you think it slept? Its teeth are made for slicing meat, not crushing bone. It was more liely an ambush preadtor, like lions and tigers today.

Ambush attacks I suspect was the main operandi of hunting and bullying others or scavenging when the opportunity presented themselves.

:yes:

John Horner has done some great work when it comes to Hadrasaurs, but it is of my opinion that he is incorrect on the T-Rex issue.

I think Jack Horner should stick to his hadrosaurs. Let Currie handle this, he's the carnosaur expert.

actually t-rex teeth are made for both slicing meat and crushing bone.. it is not laterally comressed like many meat eating dinosaurs like the raptors... it is thick and peglike, althought it still has serration on the teeth.. you guys are wrong about the teeth of the t-rex. its shaped more like a banana than a steak knife. combined with the most powerful bite force and serrated peglike teeth.. it can do both bone crunching and meat slicing when hunting live prey or tearing thru bone and flesh of dead carcass...

there are many t-rex corprolites <spelling> or dino feces fossils that shows crushed bones. blade-like teeth can never crush bone.

The T-Rex is going to be like most predator they will hunt for the most part but don't put it pass them to scavenge. Easy prey is what they will feast on, less chance for injury no predator want to put themselves in a position where they can't hunt or defend itself.

They have already found bones from some duckbill dino that has been attacked by a T-Rex, a fragment of tooth was found in a bone that has been broke from an attack and healed with proof of bone growth from the damaged bone. The prey lived so that proves they hunted, there have been more cases of this also reported.

As for J. Horner he seems to wanna argue againt facts. His clam about the arms is moot. One of todays best hunters has no arms, it may sound dumb but all sharks have is a big head full of teeth. Im not really tryin to comepare a shark to a T-Rex but come on they can smell a drop a blood in the water for miles. I thought Horner said thoughs are traits only found in scavengers. The brain of the T-Rex showed it has a great sense of smell, Jack was way wrong by sayin thats the T-Rex was a scavenger cause of that all predators have a keen sense of smell, yes I think he may scavenge when the opertunity was there but he was a hunter. You have to remember most of the prey were dumber (smaller brains), slower and in greater #s. All the facts point to the T-Rex as a hunter.

Does it really matter if he was a scavenger or a hunter the point is it survived for along time. There are evidence pointing both ways on this and i think the only thing one can do is use their imagination. I feel T-Rex was both, hunt if it has to but wont pass a free meal. :D

Seems simple enough to me:

If T-Rex was walking by a dead whatchamacallitosaurus, would he stop and eat it?

Hell yes!

But also, anything THAT big with THAT many teeth, must have killed something from time to time!

but, imagine, he is chasing a prey and, in is chase, fall on the ground, what will he do?

Probably what one of the flightless and nearly wingless birds of today would do. Fall, roll over and onto it's feet and continue the run!

actually t-rex teeth are made for both slicing meat and crushing bone.. it is not laterally comressed like many meat eating dinosaurs like the raptors... it is thick and peglike, althought it still has serration on the teeth.. you guys are wrong about the teeth of the t-rex. its shaped more like a banana than a steak knife. combined with the most powerful bite force and serrated peglike teeth.. it can do both bone crunching and meat slicing when hunting live prey or tearing thru bone and flesh of dead carcass...

there are many t-rex corprolites <spelling> or dino feces fossils that shows crushed bones. blade-like teeth can never crush bone.

Giginatosaurus had blade-like teeth, Carcharodontosaurus had blade-like teeth. For crushing bones, you would need more flattened teeth, like that of hyenas and Tazzy Devils...

actually, hyenas have large conial pre-molars for crushing bones... bone crushing teeth cannot be flattened. it will never work.

Giginatosaurus had blade-like teeth, Carcharodontosaurus had blade-like teeth, true but those teeth work like shark teeth..shark teeth mechanics are for slicing large chunks of flesh from prey.....while it does slice thru bones of small prey, it will not have the same power as the teeth of a t-rex. blade like teeth only are good for slicing flesh faster. like a hit and run attack...till the prey dies of excessive blood loss. blade like teeth do not require a strong bite force because of its design.

t-rex has huge thick peg like serrated teeth that are powerful enough to puncture the largest bones of its prey and withstand the pressure the jaw generates. small arms doesn't equate to scavangers... during the time of the sabretooth... there were terror birds that had huge flesh tearing and bone crushing curved beaks like those of eagles, just more massive.. yet they have no arms to help them hunt.... crocs have pretty pathetic arms but yet they seemed to manage to haul down prey with their large mouths...

look at any birds of prey, no help from any arms.. with an awsome array of dental work, and such a large head, t-rex would have to spend too much energy trying to keep itself from falling forward if it had larger arms....

p.s. pacman doesn't have any arms and he can chomp with the best of them! :)

T-rex has very similar teeth to Carcharodontosaurus. They both are also serrated.

Well all I know is that mostly humans would be a two bite H'orderve. When it comes down to Hunting or Scavanging the end result is all the same. Plant fertalizer.

actually no. t-rex teeth are very unlike Carcharodontosaurus teeth. Carcharodontosaurus teeth are smaller and more triangular.. like those of sharks.. hence the name.

They both are serrated. Scavengers don't need serrated teeth. Tazzy Devils have cusp-like teeth for grinding. Another fact is that why would a scavenger grow that big. Only predators do.

• 2 weeks later...

T. Rex was a Hunter and an oppertunist scavanger. They have shown a tooth fit into a bit make on a Hadrosuar, and there are sighns of reagrowth on that bone. All scavanger evidence requires a leap of faith.