Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

McKenna to leave Washington

Thanato

McKenna to leave Washington, seen as Liberal leadership contender

Just two days after the Conservatives came out ahead in the federal election, Frank McKenna, Canada's ambassador to the United States, has offered his resignation.

McKenna made his offer to resign in a letter to the newly elected prime minister, Stephen Harper, on Tuesday. The letter was released to the media on Wednesday.

In the letter, McKenna, a former New Brunswick premier, offers his congratulations to Harper. "It was a hard-fought campaign and you have received a very significant vote of confidence from the Canadian public," writes McKenna.

"It has been a great privilege for me to serve as Canada's Ambassador to the United States throughout the past year ... I've always placed great value on the importance of the Canada-U.S. relationship, and, in a short period of time, have learned much about how this critical link can be improved and expanded.

"In that regard, I would be pleased to offer my full co-operation in sharing insights on management of the many significant and crucial issues that we deal with on a daily basis."

McKenna was appointed nearly a year ago as the Canadian ambassador to the U.S. by Prime Minister Paul Martin.

The letter openly admits that the job in Washington is one that requires a special relationship between the prime minister and the ambassador.

"I believe you would agree that the enormous value of a political appointment to this position is based on the ability to work intimately with the Canadian Government. It is this perception of closeness that provides a strong platform for the Canadian Ambassador to advance Canada's interest," said McKenna in the letter.

McKenna is widely considered to be a leading contender to replace Martin in the next Liberal leadership race.

Source

I think he would be a good leader of the Grits, Hes Younger then the past 2 leaders.

~Thanato

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thanato

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic