Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ears ringing?

Taylor

My aunt is a medium and she sees a lot of ghosts. She has also heard a lot of ghosts call her name and try to comunicate with her. Yesterday, my sister and I heard ringing in our ears. Usually only one ear. My sister is not a psychic, but I am. My aunt told us that when one ear rings that usually means that a spirit is trying to talk to you. Anyone else ever hear this?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JustNormal

• bloodyfish

• Bebi

• Carla

My guess would be tinnitus, which is rather common. I tend to look at proven understood causes for things before going to the paranormal on issues.

Tinnitus

Is the Ringing in My Ears Normal?

Not at all. Tinnitus is the name for these head noises, and they are very common. Nearly 36 million Americans suffer from this discomfort. Tinnitus may come and go, or you may be aware of a continuous sound. It can vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal or whine, and you may hear it in one or both ears. When the ringing is constant, it can be annoying and distracting. More than seven million people are afflicted so severely that they cannot lead normal lives.

Can Other People Hear the Noise in My Ears?

Not usually, but sometimes they are able to hear a certain type of tinnitus. This is called "objective tinnitus," and it caused either by abnormalities in blood vessels around the outside of the ear or by muscle spasms, which may sound like clicks or crackling inside the middle ear.

What Causes Tinnitus?

Most tinnitus comes from damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear. The health of these nerve endings is important for acute hearing, and injury to them brings on hearing loss and often tinnitus. If you are older, advancing age is generally accompanied by a certain amount of hearing nerve impairment and tinnitus. If you are younger, exposure to loud noise is probably the leading cause of tinnitus, and often damages hearing as well.

There are many causes for "subjective tinnitus," the noise only you can hear. Some causes are not serious (a small plug of wax in the ear canal might cause temporary tinnitus). Tinnitus can also be a symptom of stiffening of the middle ear bones (otosclerosis).

Tinnitus may also be caused by allergy, high or low blood pressure (blood circulation problems), a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems, injury to the head or neck, and a variety of other causes including medications such as anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants, and aspirin. If you take aspirin and your ears ring, talk to your doctor about dosage in relation to your size.

Treatment will be quite different in each case of tinnitus. It is important to see an otolaryngologist to investigate the cause of your tinnitus so that the best treatment can be determined.

No, thats not what I am hearing. Because it only comes at certain times like when I get a funny feeling like someone is watching me. Its not like that kind of ringing.

My aunt is a medium and she sees a lot of ghosts. She has also heard a lot of ghosts call her name and try to comunicate with her. Yesterday, my sister and I heard ringing in our ears. Usually only one ear. My sister is not a psychic, but I am. My aunt told us that when one ear rings that usually means that a spirit is trying to talk to you. Anyone else ever hear this?

I'm a medium as well. I never hear ringing in my ear or ears when a spirit is trying to talk to me. The ringing I DO have in my ears, however, is years of listening to loud music. Tinnitius. You may first want to get checked out for that before going the second step and thinking it's a spirit. The ones that do come through to me usually are whispering so low that I have to strain to hear them.....or they sound as if they're far away from me and speaking normally....if that makes sense? Anyway, as I suggested before, go to a doctor first as I did years ago, and get checked out for tinnitus.

Take care..... :)

I have heard whispering in my ears too. But when my ear rang it wasn't like a constant ringing. In was like once every 2 months that happens.

I have an ear that rings when my blood pressure is high.

My ears always ring quietly during complete silence. I assume it's a mild case of tinnitus, and it's strongest in my right ear.

Another cause can be exposure to high amounts of electromagnetic waves. Something else to think about since both you and your sister got the ringing.

Tinnitus doesn't have to be just ringing; it can be a hum, murmuring noises, anything really. Right now my tinnitus is playing up and I can hear the ocean in my right ear. My husband is a blacksmith by trade and the noise with that profession has left him with severe tinnitus - so bad some nights he can't sleep from the noise.

When I have ringing in my ears without it being caused by a loud noise i feel dizzy,lightheaded and cant stand up. I think thats because of something with my blood but not ghosts. Its an intresting theory anyway. Please dont say I have a problem and should go to a doctor, Im just related to diabetics.

Maybe it’s the deafening sound of silence. Ever walked into a silent place where it’s so quiet you can hear ring loudly. That’s probably what it is, especially if your listing very carefully and the house is quiet.

This happens to me too. I believe its because when you are thinking of spirits you become more aware of your surrondings. Noises that happen in your house on a daily basis seem to just be happening at that time. Same with the ringing. Its always been there, before you goto sleep and everything is silent just sit still and focus on the ringing.

I always thought it had to do with the blood. I wonder if a paranormal experience can cause this.

High blood pressure can cause it but it can also be caused by wax build-up in the ear pressing on the ear drum, damage to the ear drum, or by damage to the cilia (those fine little hairs on the cochlea). Damage to the cilia is probably the most common cause of tinnitus in young people (or older people) who listen to music too loud, or are exposed to other loud noises.

I remember reading about hearing bells as related to paranormal events, but this is the first time I've ever heard of ringing in the ears being related to something paranormal.

You're all wrong. It's because of ipod overdose. lol

Edited by Bone_Collector

Maybe it’s the deafening sound of silence. Ever walked into a silent place where it’s so quiet you can hear ring loudly. That’s probably what it is, especially if your listing very carefully and the house is quiet.

I can sympathize since I have the same thing, but that is not normal. It sounds like you too have a case of tinnitus, probably mild like mine.

Bone Collector, you're partially right, as tinnitus can be caused by extended loud noise. It has also been shown that earbuds, such as many people use in their iPods, are very bad for your hearing compared to headphones.

Edit: I should mention that some people, including myself, can become totally habituated to the ringing and even forget they have it. Personally I've had it since a very young age, so I never even realized it was odd until I mentioned it to someone who took it as strange. Oddly enough I started doing research on tinnitus the day before this thread came about. :lol:

Edited by angrycrustacean

When I have ringing in my ears without it being caused by a loud noise i feel dizzy,lightheaded and cant stand up. I think thats because of something with my blood but not ghosts. Its an intresting theory anyway. Please dont say I have a problem and should go to a doctor, Im just related to diabetics.

Wouldn't it be best to get a regular checkup being as your family has a history of diabetes? I'm not saying you must, I just think it's probably a good idea. I have a family history of breast lumps; never thought it would happen to me, found a lump about three years ago and ended up in hospital with an operation. If I'd carried out checks I would have caught it sooner and needed less treatment.

You're all wrong. It's because of ipod overdose. lol

LOL, you crack me up, but you are also very correct!

A lot of young kids are coming up with tinnitus because of the loud music, stereos, concerts, etc. If you have your ear plugs in and OTHER people can hear your music, it is too loud and you are ruining your ears!

Take from someone who has abused their hearing far too long and now is paying for it. I went to too many music concerts as a teen and cranked up the volume way too loud and am now paying for it. I was also involved in a work-place explosion and the noise from that alone practically left me deaf for two weeks!

Just reading this thread will tell you how common tinnitus is and the worse you get it, the more annoying it can be. I have to actually leave the T.V. or radio on when I go to sleep, or the ringing drives me insane.....

So, all you IPod users.... turn down the volume.... ;)

No, thats not what I am hearing. Because it only comes at certain times like when I get a funny feeling like someone is watching me. Its not like that kind of ringing.

Quick to reject people's opinion's eh? Your a psychic?...what's my real name, dob, age, hometown, and........ the winning Lottery # please.....

Anyways, I agree with Fluffybunny. Other then that, your claim is the equivelant and is as real as the "stupid-stistous" ringing in the ears means people are talking bad about you.

I can sympathize since I have the same thing, but that is not normal. It sounds like you too have a case of tinnitus, probably mild like mine.

Bone Collector, you're partially right, as tinnitus can be caused by extended loud noise. It has also been shown that earbuds, such as many people use in their iPods, are very bad for your hearing compared to headphones.

Edit: I should mention that some people, including myself, can become totally habituated to the ringing and even forget they have it. Personally I've had it since a very young age, so I never even realized it was odd until I mentioned it to someone who took it as strange. Oddly enough I started doing research on tinnitus the day before this thread came about. :lol:

Im not sure everybody i ask seems to be able to hear it if they listen carefully. Although i listen to loud music way to often I Dj so it could be that. If you go somewhere where it is silent and listen i bet you will be able to hear it.

Im not sure everybody i ask seems to be able to hear it if they listen carefully. Although i listen to loud music way to often I Dj so it could be that. If you go somewhere where it is silent and listen i bet you will be able to hear it.

No, I know what you mean about the ringing, I experience it too. It is however caused by tinnitus, which is present in most people to some degree.

No, I know what you mean about the ringing, I experience it too. It is however caused by tinnitus, which is present in most people to some degree.

Ok i only hear it when im in a silent room. Everybody i asked said the same as well. Pheeew ;)

http://www.drugs.com/campral.html

http://www.tinnitus-research.org/media/rel....asp?id=pr00027

http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/xanax.html

Here is some sites that has drugs that will help with the ringing in the ears. William Shatner of Star Trek and Pete Townshend of the Who has tinnitus. Nothing Paranormal.

tittinus tends to hit you at an older age if you abuse volume though, is this person saying every now and then they get ringing, do you sortof lose hearing in that ear slightly aswell? i heard but probably misinformed that this can be caused by ear wax too .?