Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

...by reason of insanity.

Rykster

Insanity  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should the criminally insane ever be released?

• Yes
    • No
    • I can't make up my mind.
  2. 2. Should insanity be allowed as a defense?

• Yes
    • No
    • I can't make up my mind.

Should they ever see the light of day?

"State psychiatrists say a Troy man who bludgeoned and mutilated his mother to death in 2000 should be released from an institution, placed in a group home and eventually returned to the community because his mental illness is in remission."

Full Article

Not mentioned in this article were the details of her murder. This particular gentleman had sliced off his mother's face with a hacksaw and eaten her eyes.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rykster

• __Kratos__

• Bex

• Bella-Angelique

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, shouldn't be released.

No, shouldn't be used as a defense. However, I am in favor of temp. insanity being used as a defense. :tu:

No, shouldn't be used as a defense. However, I am in favor of temp. insanity being used as a defense. :tu:

That strikes me as contradictory Kratos. Insane is insane, whether acute or chronic. If it is a legitimate defense for the acute, why not the chronic? It would seem to me that temporary insanity would speak more to the first Q. :unsure:

No, shouldn't be released.

I totally agree with you on both points Kratos.

In remission!! Thats one impossible call in such a short space of time.

In remission!! Thats one impossible call in such a short space of time.

I don't believe that the correct term is "remission" as the acticle states. I think that at best it is "under control" through the use of psychotropic medications and/or psychotherapy.

Two very close family members of this writer were murdered by someone who later, during his trial, claimed his innocence by reason of insanity. A trial was held and he got his wish, not guilty by reason of insanity. The jurors concluded his judgement was clouded by the heroin and liquor in his system. My understanding of the insanity defense is as follows. If the accused understood that his actions were considered wrong by society then he is by definition not insane, did he hide the crime or himself after the crime. I make these points to illustrate that the insanity defense if applied as written works. I have however seen an alarming trend in the opposite direction of late. I voted no to both questions posed in this thread. I am very hard core when it comes to crime and punishment. Insane or not a crime is a crime and society has a right to protect itself from the perpetrators of crimes. If someone is insane enough to commit murder then they are a threat to my family and me. I will go one step further and advocate capital punishment for murder insane or not. I would have no problem at all to pull the switch on a killer male or female, sane or not.

Eloquently stated twpdyp. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I voted No to "Should they be released?"

But Yes to "Should insanity be allowed as a defense?"

As far as I am concerned if they commit a crime and are actually insane, then they need to be kept under a very tightly controlled enviorment to make sure they do not do something again. Yes, there are some legitimate claims of insanity, but most are bunk.

If you claim insanity say to drugs like mentioned above, I would throw you in jail if I were a judge, for frivilous defense! If you choose to use a drug, you cannot claim you did not know what you were doing. You knew before hand you would not have total controll over yourself and you must accept the consequences for your actions under the influence.

Insanity is a defense for many crimes, not just violent ones.

Breaking and entering is a common one.

Public exposure is another.

I don't think someone with mental disabilities who committed crimes can be release back into the community because even though people can settle down and appear "normal" the truth is, there are "triggers" that can quickly make the person transform back into uncontrolable reactions. The patient would be safer to theirselves and other's in a hospital type situation. Although, it would be very helpful to the patients, if the institution was designed like a University so the patient could feel useful and productive. Mental patients should have a poster about why they are in the situation they're in, as reminders, and in turn they learn personal responsibilities for their actions.

Person'a Name....

I did this to this family....

and this is why you are where you are today...

I say this because as a person with mental disabilities, I forget. I remember everything before a major climax but I forget new memories. So I have little notes around my home telling me why I can't have Salt, Sugar etc. This is all about my owning up to my restrictions... and so this is why I feel the way I do and even though I get so irritated about restrictions my poster teaches me why. :)

Edited by Bex

:lol: Rage:

I spit out my milk, ok beer, when I read your signature!

"suffocate at us menacingly!"

:lol:

Edited by Rykster