Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

So... How many muslims is it rebelling?

Stellar

I've seen plenty of generalisations lately about muslims... I'm just wondering what makes it any better to generalise now than before?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• bathory

• Permakid

• Saru

Top Posters In This Topic

From my opinion, many Muslims are narrow-minded. I lived in a Muslim country by the way. I said many, not all. Just like I find many fundamentalist Christians (FC) to be narrow-minded. However, FCs are less likely to torch an embassy or strap a bomb vest on. A few nut job FCs shot docs at abortion clinics, but the mass of society and most Christians don't support those crazy actions.

Many Muslims come from impoverished countries and have a lack of education and access to the media to try and get a balanced view, so they believe what the fundamentalist tell them and the jump on the band wagon. They have a very our group vs. their group attitude, from my experience.

When the USS Cole was attacked, you didn't see Americans throwing bottles at the Yemen Embassy.

I have shared a good many beers with Muslim guys, they are about as Muslim as most Christians are Christian, basically just people. But when our basic beliefs are attacked, we tend to have that knee jerk reaction. If I were in Denmark, I'd be ready to kick some Muslim A%$ too. But I would take the time to cool down to think through my actions. Many Muslim country live by mob rule, and the mob does all the thinking, always. Only individuals shed the tears when the mob stops moving.

I've seen plenty of generalisations lately about muslims... I'm just wondering what makes it any better to generalise now than before?

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for starting this thread.

This is a good place to add that promoting racist or anti-Muslim sentiment is not acceptable on the forum.

We ask that members show respect for people of all religious backgrounds, and should not generalise anyone as 'terrorists' or anything similar solely based on their nationality or beliefs.

One element of this situation that is getting scant attention by the media is that people in the Muslim world are speaking out against the violence. Example:

Muslim clerics also denounced the violence Sunday, with some wading into the mobs to try to stop the attacks...

(Interior Minister Hassan) Sabei, like other Lebanese politicians and Grand Mufti Mohammed Rashid Kabbani, spiritual leader of Lebanon's Sunni Muslims, suggested that Islamic radicals had fanned the anger. Kabbani said outsiders among the protesters were trying to "distort the image of Islam."

Source: msnbc.com

i generalise when there is a bigger outcry about cartoons from muslim populations around the world, as well as their governments, than there is towards the terrorists doing their thing all over the world.

It seems to me that these cartoons (which BTW, shouldn't have been published, IMO) are simply being used as an excuse by the extreme Islamic fundamentalists. I honestly don't think it's even close to the majority of Muslims who support this kind of thing.

I can't help but wonder what the response would be (from Muslims) if various other extreme religious groups were to use the kidnapping and be-heading of western civilians and aid workers in Iraq as an excuse to riot against their embassies? Tolerance has to work both ways. Respect for people's religious beliefs has to be adopted by everyone...period.

I personally believe that the vast majority of those people protesting and insighting violence should take a long hard look at themselves and move out of the dark ages and basically get over themselves.

It was a bloody CARTOON FFS. They are so full of self-rightious, sanctamonious bible/koran thumping crap that it is beyond me why they get away with it.

*End Rant*

i generalise when there is a bigger outcry about cartoons from muslim populations around the world, as well as their governments, than there is towards the terrorists doing their thing all over the world.

Is it the majority though? As I see it, it is still a minority that's over reacting to the cartoons.

As for the outcry to terrorism... I see as much (if not very slightly more) of an outcry against terrorism by muslims. Tell me, bathory, how many anti-terrorism rallies have you attended?

I personally think muslims enjoy public protest...burning flags chanting etc..it's what they do they just need any excuse to do it...today cartoons tommorow a ham sandwich? :rolleyes:

Many Muslims come from impoverished countries and have a lack of education and access to the media to try and get a balanced view, so they believe what the fundamentalist tell them and the jump on the band wagon. They have a very our group vs. their group attitude, from my experience.

When the USS Cole was attacked, you didn't see Americans throwing bottles at the Yemen Embassy.

I agree with all of this. The majority are impoverished and every year it seems that more jump onto the fundementalist bandwagon.

As for others of you who post Christians are like this and Moslems are like that, you need to use the terms some, a few, many, and the majority.

The way you are posting now you might as well add black folks love fried chicken and doing illegal drugs or homosexuals hate God and wear black spandex.

It is the same thing.

OMG i just checked the BNP site they are taking full advantage of the protests

thats bad news

As for the outcry to terrorism... I see as much (if not very slightly more) of an outcry against terrorism by muslims. Tell me, bathory, how many anti-terrorism rallies have you attended?

none because i do not belong to the group whose religious sensibilities should be offended by suicide bombers.

Muslims offended by cartoons, mass condemnation, protests, boycotts etc

Muslims upset about extremists....silence

Islam isn't really doing a great job at shaking this stigma

none because i do not belong to the group whose religious sensibilities should be offended by suicide bombers.

And that somehow exempts you? Why do members of such a group have to postpone their daily lives to protest?

Muslims offended by cartoons, mass condemnation, protests, boycotts etc

Muslims upset about extremists....silence

By a minority. THe majority are doing exactly what you do in response to both the extremists acting against the cartoons and the terrorists. They're disagreeing with the actions, but otherwise going about their lives.

From my opinion, many Muslims are narrow-minded. I lived in a Muslim country by the way. I said many, not all. Just like I find many fundamentalist Christians (FC) to be narrow-minded. However, FCs are less likely to torch an embassy or strap a bomb vest on. A few nut job FCs shot docs at abortion clinics, but the mass of society and most Christians don't support those crazy actions.

I have shared a good many beers with Muslim guys, they are about as Muslim as most Christians are Christian, basically just people. But when our basic beliefs are attacked, we tend to have that knee jerk reaction. If I were in Denmark, I'd be ready to kick some Muslim A%$ too. But I would take the time to cool down to think through my actions. Many Muslim country live by mob rule, and the mob does all the thinking, always. Only individuals shed the tears when the mob stops moving.

Good points, very well put. It also doesn't help that the Middle East, in particular, has seen an explosion of males born over the last 30 years with as many as 30% of them unemployed. This gives them a lot of time to sit around and be influenced by radical clerics and terrorists. The Western powers have steam rolled this region for decades, its true, however, these same young men and women should be equally infuriated at their own leaders for living like despotic kings from oil revenues while failing to diversify their economies. Its sad, many Arab Muslims are being screwed from both ends and can't see clearly that this is so.

As you said, poverty and lack of education is what causes a lot of this hatred and anger. To broaden the point, I have met very few neo-nazi's in the U.S. who were very well educated and they exhibit the same reactionary behaviour. Their were a lot of them in the area I grew up and they were all ignorant, not necessarily unintelligent, just ignorant, under educated and easily manipulated due to low self esteem.

Edited by Ivo

I think this people is towards-minded that are influenced by some guys,who puts the religions first than their own life.

I dont think that their religion teach to act with violence,or teach??If yes then should be banned of the world,as the people who believe in.

Now about the cartoons I must say "Ohh please get a life,there are most important things to worry,than cartoons".

I'm with denmark prime-minister which said that will not excuses in the name of expressions freedom,and that cartoons was published in Europe and not in Middle East,so if they dont know Europe is a free continent,if they dont recognize it then we dont recognize their beliefs.

If I was Durão Barroso,I would cut the helps that Europe are giving to them with money,medicine,etc,to make them see that we are in 21th century.

That kind of fanatism dont works with civilization people.

When 11/09 happened what they did?? they was happy and screaming Alá and that bulls*** of religion which confuses me.

I didn't saw americans destroying their embassies.

I saw Bush saying that disagree with those cartoons,I think bush could close his mouth,everybody knows why,he did worse than simply cartoons.

Edited by Endymion