Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do vampires exist?

tally_p

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldTimeRadio

• xCrimsonx

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• EtuMalku

No, sorry, but I don't think so. I've never even heard of any vampire stories as of late. It seems like a trend that just died out.

Vampirism aside I'd have to say no. There was a case of a schizophrenic vampire killer, but this was only because he drank blood in order to prevent his blood turning into powder. Or something similar. The myth of the vampire I believe may have been inspired by those that suffered from porphyria, or individuals that arose from death-like comas.

There are so many threads on this exact same subject.

Like Yelekiah said, vampirism does exist. Vampires I do believe exist, but they are not people, they would be a type of a demonic legionnaire. Vampires in history such as Vlad the Impaler, Elizabeth Bathory, or even Cane ( Kain ) from the bible, are said to of been given the gift, but are not true vampires.

A vampire would be a type of fallen angel / demonic entity, and if in fact did exist, would be something extremely rare to ever witness. You would have the same chances witnessing an angel of heaven.

Vampires exist in the terms that people imitate them. I seen a documentary where some people had there teeth cut like vampire fangs. They wore black wouldn’t go out at day and use to suck each others blood. They do that anymore though because of aids. So yeh I guess they do in away, but not in the way were they fly through your window and bite your neck.

• 1 month later...

The texts on Vampires are as varied as they are numerous. It is an interesting theory, one that is at least true in the animal world - although without the sinister overtones. It may be a true theory/myth, perhaps they really do exist. Just because no one has ever seen any 'proof' is not to say that there are not vampires. I myself have never seen a million dollars but am assured that there is such a thing as a million dollars all congregated in one place. Doubt may get you an education, but the best scientists are those that have a little imagination. Who are we to say what can and can not be? Let vampires live - well, sort of.

:P

There are certain medical conditions that make their victims actually crave blood, these are rare illnesses but they do exist. Aside from this, there are other physical illnesses that cause symptoms that are somewhat like those of supposed vampires. In the middle-ages it's thought that many Lupus Patients, for example, were thought to have been Vampires, as well as Witches and Werewolves and were actually killed by confused religous zealots in their communities.

On the subject of Lupus, (which means "Wolf" in Latin,) I am quite the expert because I happen to suffer from the disease. For instance, Lupus causes it's victim's eyes to be very sensitive to light, particularly sunlight. In fact to us, the sun is no friend at all! When exposed to the sun, some Lupus patients develope painful, ugly ulcers on their skin. Therefore we often black out our windows and rarely venture outside during the daytime. Many of us prefer to sleep during the day and take care of our daily affairs after sunset. If we must go out in the daylight, you'll generally see us in thick, very dark sunglasses, caps or hats, long sleeves and long pants even on the hottest days. We often appear very pale and ashen and when the illness manifests fully into a flair, we run fevers and have sunken eyes, gaunt faces and we look drawn.

In the olden days when medicine was little more than leeches and whiskey, it's easy to see how that Lupus Victims might have been mistaken for some type of "demonic creature." However, there are quite a number of other physical illnesses that cam and do produce vampire-like symptoms and appearances.

Now into the realm of mental illnesses there are several mental conditions that make their sufferers believe that they are vampires, or exhibit "vampire-like behavior."

Here in California there are Gothic Vampire Cults that immitate the behavior of Vampires right down to the letting and drinking of each other's blood. It's really very gross, it's dangerous, as it is a very good way to become infected by a number of very serious illnesses, including AIDS, but it exists here and it exists in other areas of the world.

As for "Buffy's" vampires or the mythical "Dracula" of Bram Stoker's novel, NO! I don't believe that these sort of entities exist at all! These stories are a bit far-fetched even for the most gullible or open-minded believers in The Paranormal. But they make great reading and awesome television shows and movies. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

No, sorry, but I don't think so. I've never even heard of any vampire stories as of late. It seems like a trend that just died out.

Sorry not got anything to say on the thread but MY GOODNESS do I wish that guy at the bottom of your reply was real pheeeeeewwww :wub:

Well, from today, it seems that there are claims from all wakes of the woods...but I see 5 different classes of vampires:

1. Wannabees-The most common, people who wish to be vampires, so they model their lives after them. Ya know, they become nocturnal, carve their teeth into fangs, drink blood from donors, sad, really.

2. Dillusional- These would be people suffereing from some sort of psychological defect making them think they need blood to survive and whatnot.

3. Diseased-As a few people mentioned before, many people have certain illness which show symptoms of vampirism, naturally, these three classes all exist.

The next two, not so reassuring in terms of existance:

4. Psychic vampires-these are the people who claim they can suck the "life force" out of you, and use it to stay alive. Seems simply obscene to me, but this call is up to you.

5. Finally, "cursed", or authentic- This would be the whole rising from the dead, "I come to suck your blood" kind of vampire from the movies, and In my opinion, there is no evidence to actually suggest such a being ever existed.

Edited by Twisted_Dragon

Like Yelekiah said, vampirism does exist. Vampires I do believe exist, but they are not people, they would be a type of a demonic legionnaire. Vampires in history such as Vlad the Impaler, Elizabeth Bathory, or even Cane ( Kain ) from the bible, are said to of been given the gift, but are not true vampires.

A vampire would be a type of fallen angel / demonic entity, and if in fact did exist, would be something extremely rare to ever witness. You would have the same chances witnessing an angel of heaven.

Well not only that but they wouldn't be like what people perceive them as in the movies, people should always remember demons are spiritual beings and not monsters, even though their potential is overwhelming, does not make them any sort of beast, of course they can appear in a physical form to as many people as they would like, it's often a mind trick, an illusion played on the simple structure of a human's thought pattern, that is why they are so indeed powering over us, however, in addition to this comes angels, who seemingly watch over us, such as the powerful St. Micheal, whom in one sense or another replaced Satan after he was thrown out of heaven.

Of course I'm not addressing this to you Azalin as you would already know this.

Well, from today, it seems that there are claims from all wakes of the woods...but I see 5 different classes of vampires:

1. Wannabees-The most common, people who wish to be vampires, so they model their lives after them. Ya know, they become nocturnal, carve their teeth into fangs, drink blood from donors, sad, really.

Do you know who Alexia_Blood is? I think that guy thinks I'm stupid or something, because he's been telling a few people including myself that he's an actual vampire. :P

I know a girl who sucks peoples blood. Well her boyfriends. But he consented....and got all these blood tests and stuff......but she isn't nocturnal and doesnt wear black all the time and she doesn't call herself a vampire she's just always liked blood. And if she does want blood she usually takes her own.

The whole chalk-white-face-pointy-fangs-just-rose-from-the-dead type do not exsist.

I know some psychic vampires. I know some people who have vampiric fantasies. I know of some who enjoy drinking other people's blood, but real vampires like in the books? Nope.

I've read stories about vampires but I'm not sure if they are true. :hmm:

But just because you haven't see any doesn't mean they don't exist. :yes:

In the country I live there was a legend about a vampire.A man who after his death every night used to disturb other people by making noises or hit their furniture.The disturbance continued even when they decapitate his heart.At the end he was burned and none of these happened again.

Maybe they do exist but it's just too rare to meet any. :)

Again all these myths and stories can't be only imagination...

And that goes for everything not just vampires (ok not for every-thing...) :rofl:

Again all these myths and stories can't be only imagination...

And that goes for everything not just vampires (ok not for every-thing...) :rofl:

Yes, it can be only imagination.

I know a girl who sucks peoples blood. Well her boyfriends. But he consented....and got all these blood tests and stuff......but she isn't nocturnal and doesnt wear black all the time and she doesn't call herself a vampire she's just always liked blood. And if she does want blood she usually takes her own..

o_o :cry:

I'm scared... in a disturbed kind of way. :mellow:

In 1985 my grandfather wrote a paper for the American Association for the Advancement of Science saying that porphyria may have been that cause of vampiric ledgends.

Although his reasons were, in general, flawed I don't see this as a reason to rule it out completly. Porphyria does make the skin extreamly vulnerable to sunlight. If you are vulnerable to sunlight then obviously you would seek to avoid it. Also although it is known that blood is not a cure today, in 16th century England it very well may have been a "cure" for it.

Meanwhile it is shown that in certain cases garlic will make a porphyria victam very ill and during this time period religious inquisiters were killing MANY people.

Now if you were to combine these facts and add in about 500 years of folk-lore and ghost stories then you may get what appears to be our current day vampire.

I, like my grandfather did, believe that porphyria was probably what people saw that would eventualy become vampires. Other thoughts say it could also be what made the werewolf stories, but that's for another thread.

o_o :cry:

I'm scared... in a disturbed kind of way. :mellow:

*giggle* she's cool though.

She would never hurt anyone :D

Awww. But how much blood does she take? I don't think it is a good idea to drink too much of your own blood or anyone esles as it can descrease the supply for your circulatory system and stuff.

Unless they let her bite them.

Owie.... if you know what I mean.... :innocent:

Vampireism is loosely based around the actions of prince vladimir or "Vlad the Impaler" as he is commonly referred as. Bram Stoker just perpetuated this image when he wrote "dracula" and he added the blood drinking and the allergic reactions to daylight.

hope this helped :devil:

Is it just me or have i seen this topic discussed a million times already? Admin plese spare us from this topic AGAIN!!!!!!! Deja Vu or what??