Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SQL errors

Saru

Well I certainly appreciate you trying to help. :tu:

In this case though, the problem doesn't relate to max_connections being set too low, or with it being set too low for a specific user. The error we're getting is more likely to be the result of the opposite, a memory usage related parameter being set too high.

The question is, which one(s), and how to determine that.

Reducing each of the most likely candidates in turn is one way of doing it, and that's what i'm attempting now. Trouble is, the error occurs very rarely, so now I have to wait until someone sees it again before I know that the last thing I changed didn't fix it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Rykster

• __Kratos__

• cerberusxp

I don't know if this is helpful or even relevent, but since the last H/W upgrade I have noticed that posting replies and new topics can be slow. Frequently > a minute.

From my experience replies/topics typically post within a few seconds; since the upgrade our page generation times have been consistantly low and both servers have been enjoying low loads. Overall the upgrade has worked wonders for site performance.

I have never known posts to take over a minute to submit, even during periods of high server load back on the old single server setup.

It might be worth checking for a possible problem at your end, a firewall for example which might be the cause of the delays you are experiencing.

I am checking...

Was UM down for a brief (2 mins or so) time? I kept getting "DNS Server not found" errors. I navigated to several other sites, checked email via Outlook, without any trouble during that time. I posted a fairly large reply to the "Explosion" thread and got the DNS error. When I managed to get back on, navigate back, my post was there, but in the new posts index, it was still listing the previous poster as the last post received.

The slow load times are intermittent, but I have started copying my posts before I hit the "add reply" button, JIC.

Gremlins, gotta be...

I had one a few days back. On Saterday. I was really stupid.

Glad I could get back on.

Rykster, I don't know about any DNS errors, that sounds like it could be a problem with your ISP.

Working on it. But all and I mean all other sites have been behaving well.

I have been getting a few of these errors in the past 24:

SQL error: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.0.0.2' (4)

SQL error code:

Date: Thursday 16th of February 2006 06:31

Edit: I have been getting these on the home page this morning (edit time)

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/unexplai/public_html/forum/sources/classes/class_display.php on line 93

Edited by Rykster

I think there is a poltergeist in the server that purposely waits for me. :P

They prey on those running old versions of Windows. :yes:

I'm working on it, I believe this is a symptom of high apache server load at the time the error occurs. This can be remedied by the installation of additional memory to reduce swap usage on that server, however our host is awaiting a memory module shipment so there's nothing I can do until that becomes available unfortunately.

Actually i'm less convinced now that this particular error is a result of server load, it occured just now during a quiet period of the day with low load on both servers and with no obvious problems present.

I'm looking into this one, can't really understand what's causing it. I'll try and find a solution to it as soon as possible.

An extenstive database repair procedure has been performed to remedy this particular error, again if anyone experiences the same error message now then please let me know.

We are also due to have a 512mb memory upgrade implemented on our apache server within the next 24 hours, which is designed to repair an issue with swap file usage on our apache server.

Only for 5 or 10 minutes, so nothing to worry about there.

Just an update to say that the apache server memory upgrade is now complete. :tu:

It happened again just now..

SQL error: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.0.0.2' (4)

SQL error code:

Date: Saturday 25th of February 2006 04:12:54 PM

Well, doesn't look like the database repair made any difference.

Really running out of ideas for this one, not sure what to do about it. All I can think of now is that it's some sort of intermitent fault with our cross-connect. If it persists I might have to contact our server provider to see if they can find anything wrong.

Got this on the home page and all my options were reset, such as it closed my fast reply box, and expanded the forum sections. Did I just puke my cookies? It took a full minute or more to open the homepage, long enough for me to find that Outlook, Yahoo and Google were working fine...

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/unexplai/public_html/forum/sources/classes/class_display.php on line 93

Edited by Rykster

Rykster your error is the same one, the same as Kratos reported. The only difference is that you are seeing the main page version of the error message instead of the forum's.

As I say though, I really am at a loss to explain this problem. Hardware fault is the only possibility I can come up with at the moment.

I'm continuing to look into it, i apologise for any inconvenience this issue may be causing.

Saruman, I am totally addicted to this site. That said, I only worry for the newcommer's impression. When the main page does not load, I sit there and keep trying, because you SOB, I am addicted to this site! I love it. A little inconvenience will not disuade me. Having over 20 years of programming under my belt, I know how some bugs can evade you for a long time.

Please don't take my reporting a bug as whining. It's just for your info!

I have never enjoyed a site as I do this one. The main attraction is in that your mod team seems do be doing a great job at keeping the scum out.

Please don't take my reporting a bug as whining. It's just for your info!

I appreciate it when people let me know that there is a problem, it's much better than keeping quiet and the issue persisting :tu:

I'm getting in touch with our server provider to see if they can check out our local network for any potential faults which may be causing the problem. I'll post more here when I find out whats wrong.