Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Danish Papers Rejected Jesus cartoons

.AKUMA.

Danish paper rejected Jesus cartoons

Gwladys Fouché

Monday February 6, 2006

Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the cartoons of the prophet Muhammad that have caused a storm of protest throughout the Islamic world, refused to run drawings lampooning Jesus Christ, it has emerged today.

The Danish daily turned down the cartoons of Christ three years ago, on the grounds that they could be offensive to readers and were not funny.

In April 2003, Danish illustrator Christoffer Zieler submitted a series of unsolicited cartoons dealing with the resurrection of Christ to Jyllands-Posten.

Zieler received an email back from the paper's Sunday editor, Jens Kaiser, which said: "I don't think Jyllands-Posten's readers will enjoy the drawings. As a matter of fact, I think that they will provoke an outcry. Therefore, I will not use them."

The illustrator said: "I see the cartoons as an innocent joke, of the type that my Christian grandfather would enjoy."

"I showed them to a few pastors and they thought they were funny."

But the Jyllands-Posten editor in question, Mr Kaiser, said that the case was "ridiculous to bring forward now. It has nothing to do with the Muhammad cartoons.

"In the Muhammad drawings case, we asked the illustrators to do it. I did not ask for these cartoons. That's the difference," he said.

"The illustrator thought his cartoons were funny. I did not think so. It would offend some readers, not much but some."

The decision smacks of "double-standards", said Ahmed Akkari, spokesman for the Danish-based European Committee for Prophet Honouring, the umbrella group that represents 27 Muslim organisations that are campaigning for a full apology from Jyllands-Posten.

"How can Jyllands-Posten distinguish the two cases? Surely they must understand," Mr Akkari added.

Meanwhile, the editor of a Malaysian newspaper resigned over the weekend after printing one of the Muhammad cartoons that have unleashed a storm of protest across the Islamic world.

Malaysia's Sunday Tribune, based in the remote state of Sarawak, on Borneo island, ran one of the Danish cartoons on Saturday. It is unclear which one of the 12 drawings was reprinted.

Printed on page 12 of the paper, the cartoon illustrated an article about the lack of impact of the controversy in Malaysia, a country with a majority Muslim population.

The newspaper apologised and expressed "profound regret over the unauthorised publication", in a front page statement on Sunday.

"Our internal inquiry revealed that the editor on duty, who was responsible for the same publication, had done it all alone by himself without authority in compliance with the prescribed procedures as required for such news," the statement said.

The editor, who has not been named, regretted his mistake, apologised and tendered his resignation, according to the statement.

hmmm what do you guys think

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1703500,00.html

Edited by AKUMA166

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• chaosdarksoulz

• Erikl

• The Silver Thong

Even if the pics were run, you would not see a violent uprising and the call for heads to roll. Sure a few uptight people might get offened and it would cause a story to apear on page 20 of the news paper that a few people were offended but not much more then that.

I don't really think this is so relevent. It was 3 years ago rather than 3 weeks. There are plenty things I would do now that I wouldn't do 3 years ago, and this papers the same. Events change, times change, we can't really compare two such cases of an event over such a long period.

Even if the pics were run, you would not see a violent uprising and the call for heads to roll.

That is indeed true. In fact I doubt it would get any more press than a local victar saying something at the local church... and then it'd all be forgotten.

Our newspapers publish daily cartoons on our religious figures, both current and historical, and ofcourse on our politicians.

Some are so horrible I sometimes find myself thinking "god how could they allow themselves to publish these things" lol.

people seem to be forgetting the context in which the mohammad cartoons were gathered.

of course i thing the issue has been about the way islam has reacted towards these comics, noones saying they can't be offended.

The decision smacks of "double-standards", said Ahmed Akkari, spokesman for the Danish-based European Committee for Prophet Honouring, the umbrella group that represents 27 Muslim organisations that are campaigning for a full apology from Jyllands-Posten.

I lot like all the protestors. They are protesting against a cartoon that was only meant as a joke and as a bit of fun, saying that because its offensive towards them its not allowed but then they go create posters and banners saying the next 9/11 is coming while destroying embassies. If these protestors wish to threaten innocent people with terrorism then they should have to put up with the cartoons.

I may be wrong on this, and if so please correct me. But I believe on one of the many forums I was reading late last week said that there had been a change of ownership of the newspaper in the past year or two. A change possibly for the worse. If there was a former ownership, they might not have published the present cartoons. As they did not publish the cartoons of 3 years ago. I do not remember where I found this and have not had luck hunting down information on an ownership chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Insulting Someone's Religious Beliefs is Not good or is it????????

In Islam Any Potrait, Sketch, or Cartoon of any Religious Personalities like Prophets (Mohammad (PBUH) , JESUS (A.S) etc.) , Sufi Priests (Shah Abdul Latif Bhitai, Sachhal Sarmast , Baba Bulleh Shah) and etc. is PROHIBITED>>>!

I Also Don't Agree With those Killings, Calm Protests should be taking place not Massacres etc...

Do You Agree Or Not

Want your Repies

...Stop spamming with the same message man.

Insult or not... it's freedom of speech. Get over it. Feel free to disagree all you want though.

Insulting Someone's Religious Beliefs is Not good or is it????????

In Islam Any Potrait, Sketch, or Cartoon of any Religious Personalities like Prophets (Mohammad (PBUH) , JESUS (A.S) etc.) , Sufi Priests (Shah Abdul Latif Bhitai, Sachhal Sarmast , Baba Bulleh Shah) and etc. is PROHIBITED>>>!

I couldn't care less. Denmark isn't Islamic, they, and the rest of Europe, don't have to conform to you're rules.

• 1 year later...

Our newspapers publish daily cartoons on our religious figures, both current and historical, and ofcourse on our politicians.

Some are so horrible I sometimes find myself thinking "god how could they allow themselves to publish these things" lol.

Not replying to your post or the topic, just your signature...

''when christian kill jew, people say 'should've wired the transfer'... when muslim kill jew, people say, 'hey, didn't that guy die the other day?'..... when jew kill jew, people say, 'what do you want me to do about it''

lol ;)^_^

Not replying to your post or the topic, just your signature...

''when christian kill jew, people say 'should've wired the transfer'... when muslim kill jew, people say, 'hey, didn't that guy die the other day?'..... when jew kill jew, people say, 'what do you want me to do about it''

lol ;)^_^

You brought up a dead topic to compliment a member's signature who might not even go to UM anymore?

You brought up a dead topic to compliment a member's signature who might not even go to UM anymore?

Dont really bother me... ^_^

atleast others will see it....