Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How did you come to believe what you do?

stargazer123

I always like hearing how people chose their path no matter their belief or non-beliefs.

So how did you come to believe what you do?

(personal experience, conviction, raised that way, etc...)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stargazer123

• Celumnaz

• newbloodmoon

• TheEssenceofExcellence

I like to search for the truth, I ain't a non-believer or a believer I just use evidence I see to try and come up with an answer. I do believe there are stuff out there paranormal that we cannot begin to understand, and that some stuff is better off hidden. So I guess my choice is just really to know what's going on.

I think everyone will have the same answer. Life experience.

I think everyone will have the same answer. Life experience.

Not nessessarily....many people also tend to stay in the religion they are raised.

I did too for many years.

I like to search for the truth, I ain't a non-believer or a believer I just use evidence I see to try and come up with an answer. I do believe there are stuff out there paranormal that we cannot begin to understand, and that some stuff is better off hidden. So I guess my choice is just really to know what's going on.

Just like a great show eh? "The truth is out there." :yes:

my grandmother hands down, the greatest influence. she taught me to be accepting of other faiths, and believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. of course, she was a firm believer, yet she always wanted me to keep looking til my answers were there. she could care less what religion i was, so long as I was happy. i miss her. :(

i believe in a god , but a kind of a distance one .

but i do hope for a near hell, for so many people deserve it

Anubi

I'm curious, what do you mean by a distant God?

IMO I have allowed the mysteries and wonders of life to show me the truth of life through living my life, I have also devoted myself to getting to know who i am naturally (not be defined by religion or any philosphy) I started by loving myself, by seeing myself as naturally loving and trustworthy and good, this is my core foundation beleiving this has created a life that is joyous, loving, free, rules, restraints and punishmesnts rewards, little do's and little don'ts aren't nessecary for me. when i'm in error life points me in the best direction some call this Karma, I call it learning from life. i don't want to brag but i have a great life a husband that is awesome my best friend kids that are a great joy :wub: i love every minute of it and i really know what it means to be free. :D Namaste Sheri

I was born a Catholic, but grew up in a mixed area with people around me with different religions and I was taught to respect that, well to add I was taught to respect my elders and that included my neighbours & school teachers I dont think there was a moment where I had answered either of them back in any way, but I was taught religion and attended church a lot back then under the influence of my mother

Anyhoo...I am glad I was not brought up to believe that my faith was the only true faith and everyone else is wrong, and lucky that I was given a chance to pick and choose what I wanted to do

So I kept my belief in God and dropped the religion....I will let my daughter do the same when she is older, as religion was never forced down my throat so I dont feel its right to force it down her throat

How did I start to follow my religion?

First, by admitting to myself I had a kind of spiritual sensitivity that a lot of people have, but choose to ignore. Then I started to study religions. All of them, and history and what I learned is that the world used to be a much better place before the Monotheistic, Male God religions appeared and tried to destroy the older ones. And basically, all old religions are the same: the Greek/Roman religion, the Egyptian religion, the religions of the Native American, the old Goddess worship, the african religions...and in studying them I found a group of philosophies I trully believe in and practice.

Some people like to describe themselves as Wiccan, but that´s only a new term for the oldest religion on earth, and that´s what I´ve followed for the last ten years, and its basic philosophy is what I try to live by, practice with my family and hope to teach my son: respect for a higher power, for nature and for others, open mindness and humbleness towards that which we do not understand.

my grandmother hands down, the greatest influence. she taught me to be accepting of other faiths, and believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. of course, she was a firm believer, yet she always wanted me to keep looking til my answers were there. she could care less what religion i was, so long as I was happy. i miss her. :(

Glacies

Yes that was my grandma as well. She was a major influence in my life but strangely enough it wasn't until she had died that it became so. She was catholic but she kept Buddhas around the house. She was a tough cookie when i was a kid and often forced us to go to church whether we liked it or not. However shortly before she died she seemed she seem to under go a change of sorts in that way. I think she got softer in that respect.

In the end she wanted me to be whatever i wanted as long as I wasn't hurting others.

Oddly enough although we were at odds, it was a change before a sudden death and even after that was one of the greates influences in my life. I miss her too.

Thank you for sharing that

IMO I have allowed the mysteries and wonders of life to show me the truth of life through living my life, I have also devoted myself to getting to know who i am naturally (not be defined by religion or any philosphy) I started by loving myself, by seeing myself as naturally loving and trustworthy and good, this is my core foundation beleiving this has created a life that is joyous, loving, free, rules, restraints and punishmesnts rewards, little do's and little don'ts aren't nessecary for me. when i'm in error life points me in the best direction some call this Karma, I call it learning from life. i don't want to brag but i have a great life a husband that is awesome my best friend kids that are a great joy :wub: i love every minute of it and i really know what it means to be free. :D Namaste Sheri

Sheri

Wow what you said was put very eloquently. You wouldn't be bragging to say you think your life is great. I think our perspectives can make our lives great. one person might think something is bad and another might take like a grain of salt. I believe there is karma that some of us might not escape but i also believe there is hope to set and change the course of one's karma. The old addage about what goes around comes around comes to my mind right now. if you put good things into the world perhaps they come back as well.

I think this serves true to one's attitude towards themselves as well. it's a great thing to good for others but you also must love yourself as well. I think your attitude and remarks are very enlightning.

I was born a Catholic, but grew up in a mixed area with people around me with different religions and I was taught to respect that, well to add I was taught to respect my elders and that included my neighbours & school teachers I dont think there was a moment where I had answered either of them back in any way, but I was taught religion and attended church a lot back then under the influence of my mother

Anyhoo...I am glad I was not brought up to believe that my faith was the only true faith and everyone else is wrong, and lucky that I was given a chance to pick and choose what I wanted to do

So I kept my belief in God and dropped the religion....I will let my daughter do the same when she is older, as religion was never forced down my throat so I dont feel its right to force it down her throat

Beckys mom

Such a pretty little baby by the way....i ahve two myself and am very familar with the BM phenomenum!!!!

I'm the same way with my children. They attend church only by their own choice.

I would like them to respect others and make their own choices in life.

i grew up in a mixed home as a matter of fact. My mother was Jewish and my father was catholic. But my mother was very much about choices. I remember her telling me about religion and she said, "people get home in different cars honey." I never quite understood that until long after she died. Although my father's family was a little more pressing of religion I chose my own path. I decided that faith was one of the greatest investments for myself and it was my choice to decided where to put my faith.

How did I start to follow my religion?

First, by admitting to myself I had a kind of spiritual sensitivity that a lot of people have, but choose to ignore. Then I started to study religions. All of them, and history and what I learned is that the world used to be a much better place before the Monotheistic, Male God religions appeared and tried to destroy the older ones. And basically, all old religions are the same: the Greek/Roman religion, the Egyptian religion, the religions of the Native American, the old Goddess worship, the african religions...and in studying them I found a group of philosophies I trully believe in and practice.

Some people like to describe themselves as Wiccan, but that´s only a new term for the oldest religion on earth, and that´s what I´ve followed for the last ten years, and its basic philosophy is what I try to live by, practice with my family and hope to teach my son: respect for a higher power, for nature and for others, open mindness and humbleness towards that which we do not understand.

Claudoca

i don't really know very much about Wiccan practices. I know one thing, that it is very nature based from what i've read. This reminds me alot of the native american indians.

I've always enjoyed learning about other religion and philosophies as well. i think there is alot to be learned and alot of understanding which opens the door for respecting others.

I've always been quite fasinated by the Buddhist philosophy. I remember reading my first buddha quote and I thought...God this guy is something else how true how true.

I've also really like learning about Hinduism as well. I still have alot to learn but I figure I still have time to take as much in as I can.

Thanks for sharing.

To believe or to disbelieve, that is one hellova question! :unsure2::blink:

To neither believe or to dibelieve is just ... Hell! <_<

So there is neutral... :mellow:

Sheri

Wow what you said was put very eloquently. You wouldn't be bragging to say you think your life is great. I think our perspectives can make our lives great. one person might think something is bad and another might take like a grain of salt. I believe there is karma that some of us might not escape but i also believe there is hope to set and change the course of one's karma. The old addage about what goes around comes around comes to my mind right now. if you put good things into the world perhaps they come back as well.

I think this serves true to one's attitude towards themselves as well. it's a great thing to good for others but you also must love yourself as well. I think your attitude and remarks are very enlightning.

Why thankyou very much, i agree with you too, great point how important ones attitude is i look forward to more of your posts welcome to UM namaste sheri

Beckys mom

Such a pretty little baby by the way....i ahve two myself and am very familar with the BM phenomenum!!!!

I'm the same way with my children. They attend church only by their own choice.

I would like them to respect others and make their own choices in life.

i grew up in a mixed home as a matter of fact. My mother was Jewish and my father was catholic. But my mother was very much about choices. I remember her telling me about religion and she said, "people get home in different cars honey." I never quite understood that until long after she died. Although my father's family was a little more pressing of religion I chose my own path. I decided that faith was one of the greatest investments for myself and it was my choice to decided where to put my faith.

Why thank you stargazer123 :D

I respect you chose your own path...it makes you feel you have more freedom to make your own choices rather than have your parents drum their beliefs on to you

I'm an Atheist

Reasons:No evidence of any god,prophet etc.Sciene can answer the majority of mysteries or atleast give credible explanations or theories,we will never see how the universe was started exactly though.

I'm an Atheist

Reasons:No evidence of any god,prophet etc.Sciene can answer the majority of mysteries or atleast give credible explanations or theories,we will never see how the universe was started exactly though.

My best friend is as well. Although he might be the only atheist I know that believes fully in Francis Crick's theory of directed panspermia and does not give Darwin much thought or interest.

I am spirtual but I love and accept science. I don't know that we will ever know how the universe but as long as we are here we should keep probing. Thanks for your post. :)

To Stargazer123

Great that you´re reading up on beautiful religions such as the Native American and Hinduism. Wicca is very similar, deep down they´re all the same. I guess it´s the basic philosophy that matters, and what´s missing in a lot of other religions. Many preach about respect for others, while at the same time putting male as superior to female, man superior to nature and white superior to black...

Hope you keep sharing.

:D

As a kid I grew up with a christian background. My mother would allow me to go to various churches other then our own with friends and felt it was healthy for me to be well rounded as far as religion went. I think she was just glad at one time I was showing an interest in church.

Part of what has shaped my beliefs is keeping an open mind about all religions regardless of the background. I think they all have a background of truth to some extent, and instead of being led like a bull to slaughter I believe a person should question, prod and search for the truth.

Can't remember the exact book and verses in the bible but it goes something like "seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you..." Etc.

When I was young I wasn't really taught that much about the Bible or anything like that, my mom was a believer but she didn't really teach me anything about the Lord......growing up I only went to church about 3 or 4 times. I was brought up with a lot of pets and immediately became an animal lover and a lot of times I would see people mistreat animals and that just made me think that most human beings are stupid, hateful, and ignorant. Believing that, I couldn't understand how the heck anyone could be a believer since there didn't seem to be a reason God would give the Bible to such a worthless race. But as I got older I saw that that wasn't exactly the case, most people were good, but I became a firm believer in evolution and basicly without really reading any scripture I just came to the conclusion that everything else in the bible was true except for genesis, that it didn't happen exactly like it said it did. But once I got into my teens I suddenly started to become interested in religion and spirituality. I was always interested in paranormal stuff....so along with studying that stuff and reading many creation stories from different cultures I noticed most creation accounts sounded the same and that didn't seem likely to be a coincidence.

After that I began thirsting for knowledge and began reading different parts of the bible and watching different preachers on tv. I always considered myself Christian but now I think I really was.... After that I also got into reading other scriptures and biblical stuff not in the bible like the book of enoch. And after reading what I have thus far I've come to the conclusion that there is a God, he is the Lord, and Jesus is THE Atonement for all sins.

Right now i'm trying to finish all the Bible and get into being a Jewish Christian rather than just a Christian.....following all the laws and commandments given to Moses by the Lord while also following the teachings and accepting Jesus Christ.

To Stargazer123

Great that you´re reading up on beautiful religions such as the Native American and Hinduism. Wicca is very similar, deep down they´re all the same. I guess it´s the basic philosophy that matters, and what´s missing in a lot of other religions. Many preach about respect for others, while at the same time putting male as superior to female, man superior to nature and white superior to black...

Hope you keep sharing.

:D

Thank you Claudoca.

I agree especially about the superiority thing. That was something I could never understand as in regards to some religions. I could never quite wrap myself around why if some religions believed God was loving that this God would tell one child that they were better than the other by race or gender. To me it seems more of a cultural view that has been interwoven with religion. However to each his own. Thank you again. I hope you keep sharing as well. :)

As a kid I grew up with a christian background. My mother would allow me to go to various churches other then our own with friends and felt it was healthy for me to be well rounded as far as religion went. I think she was just glad at one time I was showing an interest in church.

Part of what has shaped my beliefs is keeping an open mind about all religions regardless of the background. I think they all have a background of truth to some extent, and instead of being led like a bull to slaughter I believe a person should question, prod and search for the truth.

Can't remember the exact book and verses in the bible but it goes something like "seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you..." Etc.

Newbloodmoon.

I wanted to say firstly that I saw the picture under your name before just recently....chupacabra right? Yeah I sent that picture to my sister because she frequents Puerto Rico... :D She probably won't be sleeping very well. Mean sister I am! :D

I'm like you in some respects. I think there can be truth found in many religions. it seems like tiny bits of the larger puzzle. I think its great that your mother allowed you that freedom to experience different churches. I believe that no matter what spiritual or religious path you choose that you should have understanding of other's paths. Could you imagine how different the world might be if more people tried to understand instead of just assuming everyone else was wrong?

We should question and search and prove what we can. maybe when you search you find wisdom in realizing not everything is as you thought. I wanted very much to package things in a box but looking outside the box I find that there is something greater.

I can't remember what bible verse that is either. I like that, "question and seek out the truth." Even if only for oneself I think we all owe that to ourselves...Thanks for sharing.