Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How did you come to believe what you do?

stargazer123

When I was young I wasn't really taught that much about the Bible or anything like that, my mom was a believer but she didn't really teach me anything about the Lord......growing up I only went to church about 3 or 4 times. I was brought up with a lot of pets and immediately became an animal lover and a lot of times I would see people mistreat animals and that just made me think that most human beings are stupid, hateful, and ignorant. Believing that, I couldn't understand how the heck anyone could be a believer since there didn't seem to be a reason God would give the Bible to such a worthless race. But as I got older I saw that that wasn't exactly the case, most people were good, but I became a firm believer in evolution and basicly without really reading any scripture I just came to the conclusion that everything else in the bible was true except for genesis, that it didn't happen exactly like it said it did. But once I got into my teens I suddenly started to become interested in religion and spirituality. I was always interested in paranormal stuff....so along with studying that stuff and reading many creation stories from different cultures I noticed most creation accounts sounded the same and that didn't seem likely to be a coincidence.

After that I began thirsting for knowledge and began reading different parts of the bible and watching different preachers on tv. I always considered myself Christian but now I think I really was.... After that I also got into reading other scriptures and biblical stuff not in the bible like the book of enoch. And after reading what I have thus far I've come to the conclusion that there is a God, he is the Lord, and Jesus is THE Atonement for all sins.

Right now i'm trying to finish all the Bible and get into being a Jewish Christian rather than just a Christian.....following all the laws and commandments given to Moses by the Lord while also following the teachings and accepting Jesus Christ.

Essence.

Animal lover here too. :D I still make the joke that I think my dog is the only one on earth that understands me most of the time. As I was growing up I sunk alot of love into my animals as well. I felt that people were so cruel. as I got older like you I realized that there are alot of good people in the world but sometimes you can't always see it right off. I realized that the world has 5 billion egos locking horns and there is bound to be problems. :w00t: I had always viewed genesis as more of esestoric than anything. My grandfather was a catholic deecon but believe it or not he did not take many stories in the bible literally. he used to think that some were mankinds way of understanding the complexity of something they could not explain any other way. I always found that interesting because I didn't find very many catholics who thought that way. Although I don't take much of it literally a christian friend once gave me a pretty good explanantion of why he believed Genesis was literal and yet seemed contradictary. he said he viewed it as happening simontaneously and written to try to reflect that. I never quite thought of that before although I still view it different I thought that was an interesting view to have.

I've read the Bible a few times in my Christian years. I always loved parables. Jesus does inspire me but I disagree with the churches view however I don't think it can ever be such a bad thing to want to follow in his foot steps. The one thing though that I struggled with in my church days was taking Paul's words and other's words over jesus's words. I felt somehow it did not resonate with his message of love. But I accept that its different for everyone and maybe thats why they call it "the living Bible." I think its great that you found your own path in the world.

I tried to follow jewish ways at one time because my mother was jewish...i guess at the time it would have made me a jewish-christian. :D here is a funny story I know you could appreciate. my grandmother was catholic and she used to tell us we had to wash our hands before we ate or we couldn't sit with them. She often said, "Now what if Jesus were here do you think he would be happy you had dirty hands?" I got up the courage one day to look at her and say, "It is not what goes in the mouth that defiles a man but what comes out this is what defiles a man." :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stargazer123

• Sherapy

• Beckys_Mom

• Claudoca

Stargazer- yes it's a chupi. and the funny thing is after my mother died I quit going to christian churches all together. Not that I don't like them or had not gone from time to time when I felt the need but I think it stemmed from what she told me when I was 16 in that I was old enough to decide for myself if I wanted to go to church or not. So I figured after she died then there wasn't much reason to go afterwards. (Much to the displeasure of my father and even more so after he got remarried.)

lol. Nice story stargazer123. What did your grandmother say in return? lol.

Nice to know there's another animal lover out there.

Yeah, I also get what you were saying about having a hard time taking Paul's words over Jesus's and stuff. Some of the things said in Romans and such, although I understand what is being said, I kind of disagree with. Which is why i'm trying to be a Jewish-Christian rather than just a Christian. But even if you decide that as a Christian you don't have to follow all the laws in the O.T. I still don't see why Chrisitian's don't see the importance in observing the Jewish Holy Days like Passover, Rashashana, Yom Kippur, Hanukkah, Purim, and such. The way I see it......when the Lord returns the Jewish and Christian peoples will become one anyway, so why not unite the O and N testament now and practice them both?

I was raised to trust in science, reason and logic..I was taught to remain skeptical of everything that wasn't backed up with empirical evidence and double-blind testing..

It served me well my whole life and ensured I was nobody's fool for the greater part of my life..

Last year however; a series of events happened(and continue to do so) that mocked science, made a fool of reason, and tore all logic asunder like so many sheets of lab data in a hurricane..

All I can say is; I now believe in a higher power despite all the contrary evidence, and don't doubt so heavily when other folks make claims about unbelievable events..

And I've never been happier..

So to all who knew be before on this website, and to those who have felt the lash of my unmitigated skepticism, I can only apologize..

To an extent..

Logic and rational thought should never be completely abandoned; but it seems to me there's a lot more out there than just that, and whatever we believe in that gives us strength is a good thing, and should be respected..

Mother was I think they call them pentacostal christian? The ones with talking in tongues, people falling down all over the place, jumping, screaming, hands in the air praise the lord.

My father a Devout atheist. There is no God. Never was. Sunday is for yard work. Logic reigns supreme. Die, your dirt, nothing more. (was VP of J&J International, Linguist for USAF Intelligence, was a spy but he doesn't talk about that... he's a heavy hitter in the intellectual circles)

I came to my belief in my mid 20's after an amazing decade of decadence. Not much I haven't seen or read and not much truely supprises me. Have forgotten more about so many philosophies than many ever learn in a lifetime, and I live a conglomeration of these in a Taoistic way.

I guess I could have just agreed with RagePatriot... life experience. Lots of it. Lots of observation as well as participation. Direct and indirect.

As a child it was impressed on me very early to observe. I actually was the child seen but not heard. And I saw it all, can't lie to me! Already learned it. I heard it. Saw it. Grew up that way to the teens where I went wild doing things instead of just watching/hearing/reading although it's such a part of me I did it out of habit anyway.

Thinking back, several times my heart races thinking about some things and I say to myself "why in the world aren't I dead yet!??!?"

Yep, life experiences have *LED* me to my beliefs. I was brought to it by my life. Like a big road sign saying "This is the way" and after having just climbed up the cliff I fell off trying the other way I'm going to start listening to the signs...

Stargazer- yes it's a chupi. and the funny thing is after my mother died I quit going to christian churches all together. Not that I don't like them or had not gone from time to time when I felt the need but I think it stemmed from what she told me when I was 16 in that I was old enough to decide for myself if I wanted to go to church or not. So I figured after she died then there wasn't much reason to go afterwards. (Much to the displeasure of my father and even more so after he got remarried.)

its funny how much alike some people on this thread are although everyone has different beliefs. My mom past away as well when i was a kid. When my father remarried they were even more adament....very similar to your situation. I understand completely.

lol. Nice story stargazer123. What did your grandmother say in return? lol.

Nice to know there's another animal lover out there.

Yeah, I also get what you were saying about having a hard time taking Paul's words over Jesus's and stuff. Some of the things said in Romans and such, although I understand what is being said, I kind of disagree with. Which is why i'm trying to be a Jewish-Christian rather than just a Christian. But even if you decide that as a Christian you don't have to follow all the laws in the O.T. I still don't see why Chrisitian's don't see the importance in observing the Jewish Holy Days like Passover, Rashashana, Yom Kippur, Hanukkah, Purim, and such. The way I see it......when the Lord returns the Jewish and Christian peoples will become one anyway, so why not unite the O and N testament now and practice them both?

Essence

I remeber my grandmother and everyone at the table laughing her reply, "its two thousand years later and this is my house." LOL I think I got her on that one.

Well I can see your point about Jewish holidays. perhaps its that at the time after jesus the church did make changes in observances and those that followed jesus centered more holidays and such around him rather than the jewish ones. It carried down after that.

I was talking to a lady at church a while back about Roshashanna. She had never heard of it and remarked, "I don't celebrate jewish holidays." But that was actually the day that jesus rode in on the camel....Im just suprised how its kind of forgotten in that respect.

I think if you want to do that than more power to you. I have a friend who is christian but observes Mosaic law. I believe if its something that you feel would deeper your faith or connection spiritually than go for it. I think its wonderful. I'm more of that i personally believe in concentrating on my heart and spirit but deeply respect other people's observances in their religion. I wish you all luck and blessings for that. :)

I was raised to trust in science, reason and logic..I was taught to remain skeptical of everything that wasn't backed up with empirical evidence and double-blind testing..

It served me well my whole life and ensured I was nobody's fool for the greater part of my life..

Last year however; a series of events happened(and continue to do so) that mocked science, made a fool of reason, and tore all logic asunder like so many sheets of lab data in a hurricane..

All I can say is; I now believe in a higher power despite all the contrary evidence, and don't doubt so heavily when other folks make claims about unbelievable events..

And I've never been happier..

So to all who knew be before on this website, and to those who have felt the lash of my unmitigated skepticism, I can only apologize..

To an extent..

Logic and rational thought should never be completely abandoned; but it seems to me there's a lot more out there than just that, and whatever we believe in that gives us strength is a good thing, and should be respected..

Falco

Wow....your post took a big heart and alot of guts to apologize like you did.

You know no matter what one believes, whether they believe in god or don't I think its the approach that is important. Doubt is okay but to ridicule is something different ya know?

I've had people tell me I'm nuts, take my meds, lay off the acid...etc...

I don't think that helps show their own thoughts in an intelligent way. I like the line in that movie "the sixth sense" when he said, "because they only see what they want to see."

From a religious or non-religious stand point I think its never bad to think outside the box.

I try to rationalize and place logic and when all that fails than I run with the possibilites.

There is so much we don't know and I can dig that! Thanks for sharing your story. :)

Mother was I think they call them pentacostal christian? The ones with talking in tongues, people falling down all over the place, jumping, screaming, hands in the air praise the lord.

My father a Devout atheist. There is no God. Never was. Sunday is for yard work. Logic reigns supreme. Die, your dirt, nothing more. (was VP of J&J International, Linguist for USAF Intelligence, was a spy but he doesn't talk about that... he's a heavy hitter in the intellectual circles)

I came to my belief in my mid 20's after an amazing decade of decadence. Not much I haven't seen or read and not much truely supprises me. Have forgotten more about so many philosophies than many ever learn in a lifetime, and I live a conglomeration of these in a Taoistic way.

I guess I could have just agreed with RagePatriot... life experience. Lots of it. Lots of observation as well as participation. Direct and indirect.

As a child it was impressed on me very early to observe. I actually was the child seen but not heard. And I saw it all, can't lie to me! Already learned it. I heard it. Saw it. Grew up that way to the teens where I went wild doing things instead of just watching/hearing/reading although it's such a part of me I did it out of habit anyway.

Thinking back, several times my heart races thinking about some things and I say to myself "why in the world aren't I dead yet!??!?"

Yep, life experiences have *LED* me to my beliefs. I was brought to it by my life. Like a big road sign saying "This is the way" and after having just climbed up the cliff I fell off trying the other way I'm going to start listening to the signs...

I just love your story telling! yeah it would probably be Pentecostal. i've been to one of those once in my life. very interesting. :D

What a mix, Pentecostal and atheist. I had those teen years too...HELLLO I don't know how I'm still here either! Not when you have motorcycle friends named "roadkill" :tu:

Sometimes the signs are a little fuzzy....I've been watching but at times I feel like I'm headed to a dead end or a one way road. And yeah, I've tried to climb the mountain a few times from different angles and fell off the cliff multiple times. But you know I'm starting to think perhaps thats what lifes all about and perhaps its not so much as making it to the top as it is braving the climb in the first place. :)

I am a strong agnostic. I would be an atheist but I can't prove there is no higher intelligence anymore than someone can prove there is so I have to settle on that.

I came to this conclusion through much thought, study and scrutinization of religion. No religion is logical to me and nothing in any religion has ever proved to me that it wasn't the creation of man.

Science and logic have been the only steadfast forces in my life and I will never abandon them. Neither is perfect but they are concepts unafraid to be proven wrong. In fact, each idea proven to be false or true only adds to the greater knowledge in my opinion. My quote from Carl Sagan sums it all up nicely.

I am a strong agnostic. I would be an atheist but I can't prove there is no higher intelligence anymore than someone can prove there is so I have to settle on that.

I came to this conclusion through much thought, study and scrutinization of religion. No religion is logical to me and nothing in any religion has ever proved to me that it wasn't the creation of man.

Science and logic have been the only steadfast forces in my life and I will never abandon them. Neither is perfect but they are concepts unafraid to be proven wrong. In fact, each idea proven to be false or true only adds to the greater knowledge in my opinion. My quote from Carl Sagan sums it all up nicely.

Well I can appreciate that. I like the fact that you add balance. You go by what you know to be truth but do not lean too much either way unless its been proven or disproven.

Science and logic are infact great things. They give us understanding to something we otherwise might not understand. There is still so much we don't know but I think in realizing that much we at least do not abandon wisdom. Somethings might never be proven or disproven but its pretty amazing the level science has unfolded some things in our lifetime alone. Thank you for your post.

Science and logic are concepts and creations of man. They are newer terms than religion and ethics but both are very similiar in developement and in results.

There is bad science, scientific results changed or doctored to meet the expectations of an agenda or to just to aquire money or fame.

This is not different than what has transpired through the years with religions.

To wish to discount and throw away all the knowledge and wisdom of human nature aquired through thousands of years of observation done in religions is as insane as trying to abolish all science because of the stupidity and greed that produced the bad science.

Without logic there is chaos. Without morality and ethics there is chaos.

In chaos all civilizations are destroyed.

The only problem with your sagan quote is that it assumes that science has grasped the world as it really is. While all the time it is changing it opinions and theories. It should rather read 'better to grasp the world/universe as we think it is, but we cannot be sure' this would be a more scientific statement.

Science and logic are concepts and creations of man. They are newer terms than religion and ethics but both are very similiar in developement and in results.

There is bad science, scientific results changed or doctored to meet the expectations of an agenda or to just to aquire money or fame.

This is not different than what has transpired through the years with religions.

To wish to discount and throw away all the knowledge and wisdom of human nature aquired through thousands of years of observation done in religions is as insane as trying to abolish all science because of the stupidity and greed that produced the bad science.

Without logic there is chaos. Without morality and ethics there is chaos.

In chaos all civilizations are destroyed.

Science is a state of knowing and something that is as old as the curiousity that drove it as well as logic. if you believe that we were created by God how can these things be seperate from God?

I have been this way since the dawn of time,why should I change what I believe??

There are many whys and wherefores that make us all up,first and foremost I know who I am and what I am,and that is a lot of what I do what I do.