Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cartoon Protesters Direct Anger at U.S.

__Kratos__

QALAT, Afghanistan - Police killed four people Wednesday as Afghans enraged over drawings of the Prophet Muhammad marched on a U.S. military base in a volatile southern province, directing their anger not against Europe but America.

The U.S. base was targeted because the United States "is the leader of Europe and the leading infidel in the world," said Sher Mohammed, a 40-year-old farmer who suffered a gunshot wound while taking part in the demonstration in the city of Qalat.

"They are all the enemy of Islam. They are occupiers in our country and must be driven out," Mohammed said.

Wednesday's violence began when hundreds of protesters tried to storm the U.S. base, said Ghulam Nabi Malakhail, a provincial police chief. When warning shots failed to deter them, police shot into the crowd, killing four and wounding 11, he said.

Flying rocks injured eight police and one Afghan soldier, he said.

Two Pakistanis arrested for allegedly firing at police were being questioned to see whether they were linked to al-Qaida, Malakhail said. Some officials accuse al-Qaida of inciting three days of bloody riots across Afghanistan that have left 11 dead.

Protesters also burned three fuel tankers waiting to deliver gasoline to the base, said Malakhail. He said U.S. troops fired warning shots into the air.

U.S. military spokesman Col. James Yonts said the American forces fired flares above the crowd, but he said it was not clear whether they fired their weapons.

Muslims around the world have demonstrated over the images — including one depicting the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb — printed in Western media. Islam is interpreted to forbid any illustrations of the prophet.

In Baghdad, Iraq's top Shiite political leader criticized attacks on foreign embassies by Muslims.

"We value and appreciate peaceful Islamic protests," said Abdul Aziz al-Hakim. "But we are against the idea of attacking embassies and other official sites."

In the West Bank, about 300 Palestinians overpowered a Palestinian police detail and attacked an international observer mission in the city of Hebron.

Sixty members of the mission were inside, said Gunhild Forselv, spokeswoman for the Temporary International Presence in Hebron. A few protesters forced their way in, where unarmed observers waved clubs in an attempt to drive them off. Police reinforcements eventually restored order.

Muslims also demonstrated in Indian-controlled Kashmir, Bangladesh, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and in Turkey.

In Washington, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice accused Iran and Syria of instigating protests in their countries, and President Bush called upon governments to stop the violence and protect the lives of diplomats overseas.

The United States and other countries were looking into whether extremist groups may be inciting protesters to riot, said Yonts, the U.S. spokesman in Afghanistan.

Iranian vice president Isfandiar Rahim Mashaee rejected Rice's assertion that Iran was inflaming Muslim anger over the cartoons. "That is 100 percent a lie," Mashaee said in Jakarta, Indonesia. "It is without attribution."

Zahor Afghan, editor for Erada, Afghanistan's most respected newspaper, said the riots in his country have surprised him.

"No media in Afghanistan has published or broadcast pictures of these cartoons. The radio has been reporting on it, but there are definitely people using this to incite violence against the presence of foreigners in Afghanistan," he said.

Afghans who rioted Wednesday said they heard about the cartoons on the radio but none questioned had seen printed versions.

"The radio is talking about them all the time. Everybody heard about them this way," said 28-year-old shopkeeper Ramatullah, who uses only name.

Wednesday's riot erupted despite an appeal from Afghanistan's top Islamic organization, the Ulama Council, for an end to the violence.

"Islam says it's all right to demonstrate but not to resort to violence. This must stop," senior cleric Mohammed Usman told The Associated Press. "We condemn the cartoons but this does not justify violence. These rioters are defaming the name of Islam."

In France, President Jacques Chirac asked media to avoid offending religious beliefs as another French newspaper reprinted the caricatures. The satirical French weekly Charlie-Hebdo also printed a new drawing under the headline "Muhammad Overwhelmed by the Fundamentalists" that showed the prophet with his head in his hands, remarking, "It's hard to be loved by idiots."

Source

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to know the US is leader of Europe. :lol:

Funny how when Europe ticks off people, it always seems to lead back to evil America. :rolleyes:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Michelle

• Aslan

• __Kratos__

Top Posters In This Topic

America are not involved this time and the the morons just can't quite believe it. So they want to start a fight with everyone and have made this incredibly LAME excuse to spout even more of their tripe.

You have to laugh though...since when was America part of Europe? Did you lot secretly come over here in the middle of the night and set anchor or something? :lol:

If anyone is the leader of Europe its the UK along with France and Germany.

Edited by Lottie

Yeah, anyone watch the Colbert Report? He had a law teacher from Harvard on the interview portion of the show and he clearly said, "There's nothing worse than abunch of maniac fanatical religious tripe dishing Iranians with a nuclear weapon which could destroy the world." He also said "if Iran gets this nuclear warhead, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, will be the most powerful, evil dictator in all of Earth and its history. Why? Because any other political person wouldn't be suicidal and merciless to use it or give it to the terrorist."

I completely agree. He said that this cartoon could start the beginning of WW3. Because, I'm pretty sure if Iran launches one nuclear warhead, every country with a military force will be on them like fish on water. But, they'd probably have some help from other Islamic countries in the Middle-East.

Edited by Nadal

"There's nothing worse than abunch of maniac fanatical religious tripe dishing Iranians with a nuclear weapon which could destroy the world." He also said "if Iran gets this nuclear warhead, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, will be the most powerful, evil dictator in all of Earth and its history. Why? Because any other political person wouldn't be suicidal and merciless to use it or give it to the terrorist."

Agreed

:blink: Dang...the USA wasn't even involved (at first anyway) and we still get in trouble...

and those guys need a lesson in geography :P ...and politics...the US is on a lot of European crap lists right now... :hmm:

I think they are all p***ed off that America has stayed out of this until now. How unhappy they must be that their "Great Satin" has not been in the front lines to recieve their ire. Now they seem to making a committed effort to drag the US into this. These Muslims had better watch out for what they wish for.

yep, thats right.

we sneaked into europe in the middle of the night and took Germany first, cause they have better beer.

then took Ireland cause we will get all the Guiness we want!

then took Britain to turn them from a tea producing island to a coffee producing island! TAKE THAT COLUMBIA!

then moved into france for........um............BREAD!

then took Russia for endless Vodka!

:P

yep, thats right.

we sneaked into europe in the middle of the night and took Germany first, cause they have better beer.

then took Ireland cause we will get all the Guiness we want!

then took Britain to turn them from a tea producing island to a coffee producing island! TAKE THAT COLUMBIA!

then moved into france for........um............BREAD!

then took Russia for endless Vodka!

:P

Gah, he knows of our plans! Mr. President, Mr. Vice President, Condilia...get in the truck, we've got a certain English Prime Minister to talk to!

Gah, he knows of our plans! Mr. President, Mr. Vice President, Condilia...get in the truck, we've got a certain English Prime Minister to talk to!

England does not have a Prime Minister, BRITAIN has a Prime Minsiter. And currently there is no Englishman in the job, as much as he wants to be one.

He is, however, a Newcastle United supporter, which in my opinion is far more important than the nebulous business of where he was actually born. :tu:

This cartoon psycological operation is full of bull $H!+. The same pictures/cartoons were printed in an Egyptian news paper during the month of Ramadan.

Muslim newspaper ran cartoons 4 months ago

No outrage when Egyptian publication headlined drawings on Ramadan cover

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=48746

user posted image

What's the big f'in deal

He is, however, a Newcastle United supporter, which in my opinion is far more important than the nebulous business of where he was actually born.

I don't have a problem with Blair wanting to be English, my problem is the constant claims/insinuations by foreigners that the UK is another word for England. Its the equivelent of saying the USA is only Washington state. In this case, Blair is not the English PM, he's the British PM.

For future reference, this is a picture of the UK/Britain whatever you want to call it, as can be seen, England, DOES NOT make up the whole thing;

user posted image

Edited by Talon

I quite agree with you, and very little annoys me more than people mis-aligning the geography of the British Isles through sheer ignorance. It's a trait that, astonishingly, happens in Britain too. Having an Irish father who has drummed certain laudable concepts into me from as long as I can remember, I can honestly say that I found these lapses of tact/intelligence deplorable and highly insulting.

That said, though, Tony Blair is a Newcastle United supporter, and free to eat the contents of my fridge and put his feet on my coffee table any time he sees fit.*

*Except Sunday nights. And Monday mornings.

quite agree with you, and very little annoys me more than people mis-aligning the geography of the British Isles through sheer ignorance. It's a trait that, astonishingly, happens in Britain too. Having an Irish father who has drummed certain laudable concepts into me from as long as I can remember, I can honestly say that I found these lapses of tact/intelligence deplorable and highly insulting.

Well at least you get foreigners thinking you're country is bigger than it really is, poor Scots and Welsh have to put up with Americans either thinking are 'North and West England' or (as CNN once reported) somewhere over in Scandinavia (I'm serious btw, CNN once did a report in which it said Scotland was 'deep in the heart of Scandinavia'.... for the luv of.. :cry: )

The only equivalent I could give the English to what it feels like is imagine for 300 years foreigners have called you by spoken word, in documentaries, and on maps on the History channel WW2 documentaries called you France. :P

:lol: It's not a lot different to people on y'alls side of the pond refering to all us 'yanks'. Southerners don't particularly like being called a 'yank'. I don't git my pannies in a bunch over it tho.

It's not a lot different to people on y'alls side of the pond refering to all us 'yanks'. Southerners don't particularly like being called a 'yank'. I don't git my pannies in a bunch over it tho.

I must admit, I've never heard anyone in Scotland call the Americans yanks. I think its something that for the most part is limited to movies :huh:

In the UK a really offensive word against Scots is Jock, its to Scots what N*****r is to black people. Although when Grand Theft Auto: SA came out and the black characters kept calling each other the N-word, it sparked a fad among a lot of younger Scottish people I know who started using Jock as a slang term to refer to each other, just as the black characters in GTA used the N-word.......... thankfully that fad died out quick :wacko:

I've heard people on UM call Americans yanks, but pffft, who cares. :hmm:

I've never heard Scots being called a Jock. Learn something new every day. :huh:

I've heard people on UM call Americans yanks, but pffft, who cares.

Hmm, oh well, if it makes you feel better they are not the majority, most people just use American... although technically is that correct since the US is not the only American country? :huh: Ah oh well, the Canadians, Brazilians, Chileans, Mexicans etc don't seem to mind, so I doubt it matters.

:P I don't think most people think that England is all of the UK either. I, myself, try to refer to each country individually. Everybody has their pet peeves and that's yours.

I don't call myself an American, but that was along the same line as people that call us yanks so I threw that in there.

Out of curiosity, what do you call people from the US?

We're are gettin way off topic, by the way. :innocent:

all this time i thought china was the leader of the NWO ?--LOL

the United States "is the leader of Europe and the leading infidel in the world,"

Woohoo...at least someone will finally give us credit for something...If we are the leader of Europe, can I call dibs on becoming mayor of Venice...it seems like a nice place...

Does that mean that all of Europe has to start paying taxes?

Americans. :D

That apply to Bush as well? ;)

America are not involved this time and the the morons just can't quite believe it. So they want to start a fight with everyone and have made this incredibly LAME excuse to spout even more of their tripe.

You have to laugh though...since when was America part of Europe? Did you lot secretly come over here in the middle of the night and set anchor or something? :lol:

If anyone is the leader of Europe its the UK along with France and Germany.

Do you think they are just rioting and screaming now just for the sake of it?

Do you think they are just rioting and screaming now just for the sake of it?

In a word. Yes