Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Snake photo..Vietnam 1964

chunga

Once I saw a documentary of Vietnam photographer's. One of the army photog's spoke of going out over a particualr area of the Vietnamese jungle to photograph roads and pathways for map making. He said that while flying over a certain little winding dirt road way out in nowhere while hanging out the open sidedoor while strapped on he noticed a large grey/green rope like image crossing over the road from one side into the jungle growth on the other side. He instructed the pilot to get lower over that area and when they dropped down they could both see that the thing across the road was moving.

They stayed in the area and he photographed the large tubelike thing for somethime, then suddenly out of the jungle tree tops rose a large snake head and quite a bit of it's upper body. They were freaked out, it rose up at least 200 feet from the tree tops and had its head curled so it was even with the ground. Just swaying and looking at them. The helicopter was about 100 feet from the head. Then it moved in a way that made the photographer feel that it was going to try to strike at the helicopter. He could not believe this, it felt strong enough to attempt this with a noisy moving thing like a freakin helicopter. He said the head was the size of a very large horse and its eyes had to be 3 feet in diameter.

They flew away for a few minutes trying to digest the whole thing and talked about what to do. The photographer took several pictures of the road image and of the head and neck out of the treetops. They showed these and I remember seeing blurry, hazey black and white images of what looked very much like a gigantic snake.

They flew back to the area a few minutes later and it was no where. He said when he got back to base he told about it and the pilot did too. They talked to native area people and they were told that these snakes are rare , but have been encountered by tribal family members for 100s of years and they believe these snakes to be very old . They are known by the locals as The Bull Eaters.

I dont know the name of the photographer or the area of Vietnam they were in, I cant remember the documentary name or the channel it was on. Does anyone else know of this incident or the documentary name?I have looked for it in books,online and by word of mouth with Vietnamese merchants and families in my area. No Luck. Did you see these photo's??

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigfootForever

• chunga

• Mike8272

• frogfish

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have heard of this before and i have seen one picture of it before. I doubt it was as large as he thought it was, but i do believe that it was a giant snake probably a new species.

A lot of tall tales came out of Vietnam. Remember the 'Monkey-headed' horse thread? :rofl:

You misunderstand the focus of the documentary. It was not about odd phenomenon, it was

aboaut photographer's in war time, very serious stuff. This just came out on the side for a few fleeting moment's because they were all asked about the weirdest thing they photographed while there.

He didnt make a big deal out of it. He seemed legit and has many prestigeous awards for his work and spent 8 years all over Cambodia and Vietnam in the worst of it. Tough guy, credible kind of man. No hogwash. I saw these photo's for just a second , but jeez they looked like they were taken from a helicopter over the jungle of a large snake. Wait til I find them and I will show you. You will believe.

Edited by chunga

I don't see how a snake that large could rear up at all. Look at the ananconda, so large that there is no way it can rear up at all.

It is a distinct possibility. Depending on the ecosystem, some snakes can grow to monstrous proportion. For example; the anaconda. While normal anacondas reach about 30 feet, usually much less than that, the giant anaconda is said to grow upwards to 130 feet. Such dimensions seem impossible for freak members of the common anaconda species, but why not a seperate, much larger species? Personally, I don't think these exist, but if they do they would probably represent a new species. :yes:

Edited by science101

Pretty interesting, i have a slight thought that i have seen this documentry at some point always try and watch things like this. And for me it is possible that somehow a large snake like this could be, it is bilogically possible iin evolution for it to grow to massive sizes, by mutation or whether it be in the gene pool that there is a gene that could be put in and is a giant size snake gene it is possible...

Well, well, well ericraven2003. Didn't take you but a few minutes to find my topic and attempt to throw pails of icewater all over it. What else could one expect from a logical,

2+2=4 always, kind of skeptic?

It just would not be fun without you to debunk the iffy stuff I guess. NOT!!!!

Yet I forgive you your nearsightedness my friend. Have a happy realists holiday weekend.

:angry2: :D :angry2: :D

Down, boy.

Not everybody is going to believe this story, it's foolish to expect them to do so.

Well its not about beliving really. This story might not be true, but is possible down the lines of evolution plus in the vietnam wat naplam and other chemicals were exposed to the surroundings so its possible it could of been a mutated thing...

It is a distinct possibility. Depending on the ecosystem, some snakes can grow to monstrous proportion. For example; the anaconda. While normal anacondas reach about 30 feet, usually much less than that, the giant anaconda is said to grow upwards to 130 feet. Such dimensions seem impossible for freak members of the common anaconda species, but why not a seperate, much larger species? Personally, I don't think these exist, but if they do they would probably represent a new species. :yes:

does anyone know how big the largest anacaonda recorded was?

I once heard a crypto guy say that of all the large, abnormaly large species found like squid and snakes and what not, there will always be according to facts of biological mutations larger animals than the largest one discovered. Much larger. Edited by chunga

Well would be strange being in water with something that you couldn't escape from couldn't go up or down river :D

Down, boy.

Not everybody is going to believe this story, it's foolish to expect them to do so.

ericraven2003 knows Iam his chum. He wont take offense to a little ribbing. :D

Well would be strange being in water with something that you couldn't escape from couldn't go up or down river :D

sry didnt really understand that, and by the way batman begins was one of my favorite movies ever.

Ah k what i meant was swimming down the river with a 80 foot snake. You swim down river theres still the snake. Turn other way swim down the river still the snake.

And batman begins is batman films back on track

Ah k what i meant was swimming down the river with a 80 foot snake. You swim down river theres still the snake. Turn other way swim down the river still the snake.

And batman begins is batman films back on track

yeah lol.

But is pretty interesting there are still regions in the world we know nothing or little about so its possible there could be massive snakes or even in a remote regoin undiscover dinsoaurs though unlikely is my second coment

But is pretty interesting there are still regions in the world we know nothing or little about so its possible there could be massive snakes or even in a remote regoin undiscover dinsoaurs though unlikely is my second coment

yeah but you never know, anythings possible.

Sorry but no anacondas in Vietnam. But the longest snake in the world, the reticulated python does occur there, and that is probably what the snake was. The longest one reliably recorded was 33 feet. I think the the biggest anaconda was around 30. Anaconda are often heavier bodied though.

I dont think the reader's of this topic quite grasp the unprecidented enormity of the situation. The photographer said the snakelike animal rose up about 200 feet above the canopy of the jungle treetops. It crossed the road and this is a 20 ft. dirt path and the photos that I can remember seeing , it looked like it was thicker around than the road was wide. It was about to contend with a army helicopter. The natives said it was called a Bull eater. A bull, think about the size of the jaw for this thing to digest and swallow a bull.

This is so out there that it is difficult to believe it could roam unnoticed, yet it hasn't , there are only a few person's in that vast deserted jungle and they do know of it . I know there is more that the photog said in regards to its appearence, but I just cant recall them. Iam always intrigued by the way it heard the heli above for some time while they were taking photos of its body in the pathway and it popped its head out to see what was the unfamiliar

sound. It sounds logical in a way. I do hope to track the story down and get my hands on the photos.

Edited by chunga

We grasp the enormity. :tu: We're trying to figure out what the possibilities are, or if there is any truth in this story at all.

Edited by angrycrustacean

We grasp the enormity. :tu: We're trying to figure out what the possibilities are, or if there is any truth in this story at all.

I see, how you got that user id that is. :P