Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vietnam man handles 3 decades without sleep

UM-Bot

news icon rYou’d think going without sleep for that long may have its drawbacks, but not for the man in central Quang Nam province who has never been ill after decades of insomnia.

His inability to sleep has not only made him famous, but also represents a “miraculous” phenomenon worthy of scientific study.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Thanh Nien Daily

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShaunZero

• gothikchile13

• Rykster

A very strange phenomenon. I wonder if perhaps it really is related because lack of sleep can be stressful. And some people are affected by stress and may become ill.

^^ Amen. That is straight wack, man. Right now I'm mad tired and am starting to feel a bit sick from needing sleep...

Goodnight.. err day guys.

I don't know. I heard you can't really go more than 5 days without sleeping, otherwise you just go insane.

--Jon

^ and then you die, appariently you can't go a week without sleep, a week's lack of sleep can kill you faster than starvation, which can take upto 2 weeks to kill you.

if this is true, this guy really is a medical marvel. but if its not, then he's got everyone on...

fantastic! can you imagine how much you could get done if you didn't have to sleep? i envy this man... he is making progress while everyone else is sleeping...

I'm calling B.S. on this story. I don't believe it.

--Jon

Interesting story, but without documentation, I don't believe it.

I worked with pshychiatric patients throughout the 80's and 90's. When a patient, usually one suffering from bipolar d/o in the manic phase, or one who suffers the delusion that if they sleep, they will die, goes without sleep for about 4-5 days they suffer from "sleep-deprived psychosis." Even before they drop from the physical concequences of sleep deprivation, they become wildly psychotic, and have to be taken down with meds before they hurt themselves or others, or simply drop dead from a MI or stroke.

If this man lived without sleep for 30 years, then he should be the object of in-depth study, not a news article.

Note, I read somewhere that Galileo only slept in twenty minute "cat naps."

The only comprehensible way anyone can go that long without sleep is through the use of supernatural abilities, like tapping into ZPE through the brain and gaining energy this way... it reminds me of those people who don't eat... I forget what they are called... but apparantly they live off sunlight (watching sunsets and sunrises, its been scientifically proven that sunlight alters the chemicals in the eye so that they can actually keep you awake, which is why we sleep at night and not during the day) and water... its interesting, and I can't say it doesn't exist, therefore I will keep an open mind about the capabilities of a united mind, body and soul.

It is very strange. I guess he just does not feel tired, or get tired. I wonder if his muscles ache from hard labor, because our muscles grow and expand while we sleep, that is when they heal.

We as people are just walking batteries, and we need to sleep to "recharge" oursevles and give us energy. Somehow it would seem his body has found a way to recharge itself without needing sleep. Some kind of perpetual motion organism inside his body. It doesn't seem feasable by scientific standpoints. According to the article, it was brought upon by a sickness. Hard to say, sicknesses such as cancer manipulates our gene pool for the bad. I would assume that other sicknesses can manipulate our genes in other peculiar ways.

it reminds me of those people who don't eat... I forget what they are called... but apparantly they live off sunlight
Dude, they're called plants ! user posted image

Dude, they're called plants ! user posted image

:lol:

I do think this story smacks of BS. Also, the people that supposedly live off sunlight have never actually been proven to do so.

I'm tired...

Could not imagine trying to fill up 24 hours with activities. It would have to get boring.

:P Some Yogis do not sleep. Instead, by breathing exercises they absorb the mental energy required. Without this mental energy, you become psychotic, as noted by an earlier poster. I am not a Yogi, but I do sometimes go without sleep all night. I make up for it by napping during the day. It doesn't add up to 8 hours though. More like 3 or 4 hours. Also, there are people who can manage with cat naps of just 5 minutes at a time...one example being the guy who flew around the world without refueling or landing. I think Edison had that capability.

~~~Cebrakon

The longest session of counter-strike eva

Wow 30 years without sleep, the longest I've gone is 32 hours. Thats if its true of course.

I don't understand why people say something isn't true because it denies what we use to think as impossible. If we keep this up, how the hell will we ever learn anything new?

Interesting. From what I've been reading over the years, it seems like if the brain is affected in some way the individual is able to do "unnatural" things.

Like the Real-life 'rain man' who memorized 9000 books.