Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Hollow Earth Theory

Engulf

Hollow Earth - True?False?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Hollow Earth - True?False?

• True
    • False
    • Maybe
    • Earth Is Flat

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arch/7_20_96/fob1.htm

Putting a New Spin on Earth's Core

By Richard Monastersky

By eavesdropping on earthquake vibrations passing through the globe's innards, seismologists have discovered that Earth's solid core is a solo dancer, spinning separately from the rest of the planet.

Earth's metallic core consists of a solid iron sphere, about three-quarters of the size of the moon, sitting within an outer shell of roiling liquid iron. Hidden beneath 2,600 kilometers of rock, the core has remained the most cryptic realm of our planet. Some theorists have argued that electromagnetic forces inside Earth should cause the core to spin separately from the planet's outer layers. Others have hypothesized that the core should spin in synchrony with the mantle and the crust.

Xiaodong Song and Paul G. Richards of the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in Palisades, N.Y., have found that the inner core rotates in the same direction as the rest of the planet but about 1 degree per year faster. They report their observation in the July 18 Nature.

The surface of the core, at its equator, is moving about 20 km per year relative to the liquid outer core. "That's 100,000 times faster than the types of motion we normally associate with properties of the solid Earth," says Richards. In contrast, the continents creep across Earth's surface at only a few centimeters per year.

Song and Richards embarked on their research after a computer simulation at Los Alamos (N.M.) National Laboratory predicted that Earth's core should spin 1 degree to 2 degrees faster per year than other parts of the planet.

Gary A. Glatzmaier of Los Alamos says he was surprised that Song and Richards could actually observe the core's rotation. "We were really excited to hear that they had found this," says Glatzmaier.

The Lamont-Doherty scientists could not have detected the core's movement without the help of recent discoveries about inner Earth. Ten years ago, seismologists found that earthquake vibrations passing through the solid core travel at different speeds, depending on their direction--a property called anisotropy. Waves go most slowly in the plane of the equator and most quickly when heading poleward.

To explain the differences in speed, researchers proposed that the iron crystals in the inner core have a distinct orientation, like the grain in wood. Waves moving along this crystalline grain travel faster than those going against it.

In the last 4 years, seismologists have uncovered evidence that the grain is skewed slightly from an exact north-south alignment. The axis of anisotropy--corresponding to the fastest direction for seismic waves--tilts about 10 degrees from Earth's axis of rotation.

Song and Richards realized that this axis of anisotropy, which currently points toward Siberia, should shift over time if the core rotates separately. To test the idea, they pulled out old recordings made in central Alaska of earthquakes that occurred in the South Atlantic. Some of the seismic waves from the southern quakes passed through the inner core on their way north. Comparing the old records with newer earthquake recordings, the scientists determined that seismic waves now take about 0.3 second less to complete the journey than they did during the 1960s. This finding suggests that the core has rotated in a way that speeds seismic waves heading from the South Atlantic to Alaska.

The Lamont-Doherty scientists and other teams of researchers are now examining different seismic records to validate the discovery and to measure the core's rotation with more precision.

"I think this is one of the most exciting things to happen in the last several years in deep-Earth studies," says Kenneth C. Creager of the University of Washington in Seattle.

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.j...044&org=NSF

Discovery

Earth's Core Spins Faster than Earth

The motion of the Earth's inner core had never been detected before two seismologists decided to investigate an unproven theory. They discovered that the fast-spinning inner core makes a complete revolution inside the Earth in about 400 years.

Edited by crystal sage

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Engulf

• crystal sage

• Occam's Razor

• Moon*Ghost

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find the idea very interesting, but I have my doubts like many of you do. However, what if instead of the earth being hollow, there are underground cities deep within (but not close to the core of course, unless they're close enough to it for it to provide heat).

I'm not entirely sure this is a credible source (but an interesting read nonetheless) but in the book Dead Men's Secrets, there are numerous paragraphs about how people have found caves and ventured inside of them, and once they reached a certain point they could see some sort of chemicals on the wall producing a greenish glow (in one case, someone ventured in, got scared and blew up the entrance...and another where a miner went inside, could hear machinery and once he went about half a mile in he could see someone chasing him and he fled). Like I said, I don't know if its a credible source.

Supposedly there are networks of tunnels all around the world connecting almost every continent. I've heard about one going from Tibet to Brazil, among others. I don't see how they, if they've been around for thousands of years, have withstood earthquakes and other natural disasters.

I am with you there.... I think it's a case of subterranian living....living in vast natural and manmade tunnels..caves etc...

http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/predict.../redbookuz.html

http://think-aboutit.com/Underground/redbookae.html

http://www.blm.gov/education/00_resources/...ves/caves1.html

hollow u say? hmm.... that is a good question. this is a first for me so brace yourself. i was a non-believer in things even as i was raised by my grandparents until seeing many things unfold as time went on. One was when i was a teenager along with a three cousins,and a brother in law we always take a trail along a dirt road that goes along a mountain among the tree line, we pass this hole in the side of a cliff it didn't go in more than three feet u can see this from the trail evertime we go hunting or go fishing in the higher mountain areas. but one day we decide to give our horses a break coming back down from fishing and kick below this hole cause there was a creek that cuts along the trail for the horses to drink and wild grass for them to eat, as we sat and ate our snacks one cousin said "hey look up there" so we all did and for some reason the hole looked like it had a dark center even with the sun on top of the mountain... this was strange! so we all got up and went up and up to the hole and with my heart pumping more than usual we all stood there looking and looked at each other, we all got this chill running down our backs but the youngest cousin walked towards and just stood there! so we followed him. the hole looked deep going down in a angle and dark so the brother in law and the two cousins went within the damn hole! holding his lighter in hand the brother in law with the two boys going away from our sight for a minute! came running out of the damn hole with frighting looks on their faces all talking at the same time say as they was walking down it the hole they could see a light heading their way and they heard voices not engish not even our native tongue! "small figures two of them!" the brother in law said so we all ran back to the horses and saddled up fast and headed out fast as our horses could carry us home! few days past and i went up with my uncle on truck we stop and went up to the damn hole and like before it didn't go that far in only 3 feet deep! now that change my thoughts about stories my grandparents told that could be related to this subject! hope you all enjoy that litte story of mine. peace! and i had read most of the replys its like those that say they need proof i agree with them, but if look at it as i said to my science teacher show me your proof of your theory is true! i asked him"was you there when the world was created "! no! i think not! everything is theoriez! how much we think we are right about this about that makes me laugh!so we can look at things and make something up and say this is how its created,lol. we are so eager to think they are right all the time,lol. so i got a "f" in class cause i ask for his proof on many subjects,lol. if this gets you all strung up all i have to say is" simmer down and get a grip",lol. laterz gatorz!

there are many legends...of these incidents ..lol.like false backs to wardrobes...there are false entrances to caves....

http://www.blackvault.com/wiki/index.php/Dulce_Base

http://www.travel-bulgaria.com/content/caves.shtml

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=n...derground+caves

http://wordpress.com/tag/caves/2/

You are all wrong, the earth is flat :)earths16.jpg

see? 2-d you all fail

EDIT: lol fixed link

Edited by StalingradK

@jmz2007:

Btw, all scientist are much more aware than you are that anything that any theory they ever make up about anything is still just a theory. They know NOTHING in science can be proven. Lets take a very basic theorem for example: conservation of energy (which most of us agree on, I hope). In order for this theorem to be proven, it would have to be tested at every location, with every imaginable combination of processes and particles. Basically, every single event that you can make happen with the ingredients of the universe would have to be tested in order to see if conservation of energy is true or not. And even if testing every possible event is completely ridiculous and impossible, if you somewhow attempted it, when would you know you have tested every possible event and that some obscure entity you aren't aware of but that is just as real as everything else you've tested has escaped your experiments? The point is, something as intuitively obvious as conservation of energy is not proven. Gravity is not proven. The earth not being hollow is not proven. The fact that this planet, you and the computer you are typing on exists is not proven. You cannot prove anything in science, period, and any scientist with a good head and his shoulders is and has to be aware of this.

Instead, what scientists try to do, is convince themselves a theorem describes reality by giving enough evidence (through very careful and repetitive experimentation) to convince any logical person beyond a reasonable doubt. For example, if I drop a ball at 10 million different locations all over the earth and we always find it accelerating towards the ground at 9.81 m/s^2, we will agree that this phenomenon probably happens everywheres on earth atleast, and then move on from there. As for the conservation of energy, what leads us to believe its true? Well, every experiment preformed in any field in the past 500 years agree. Maybe conservation of energy is wrong, who knows! But as far as we can tell from experimentation, it isn't, so lets move on. If we get too caught up with demanding over-skeptical evidence, not only would science never progress, but it would not have started in the first place. Being skeptical is not related in any way to one's intelligence or capacity to understand things.

So, you are right that I cannot prove that the earth is not hollow.

But I can say the following:

There exists no concrete evidence whatsoever that the earth is hollow, and everything we understand yet about how the world works (gravity, the earth's mass, density, size, laws of thermodynamics, etcetcetc) points otherwise.

If you are still not convinced the earth is not hollow, that is totally up to you.

A good scientist (and succesful science itself i suppose) is a combination and good balance of skepticisme and wonder. Too much of either does not do you good. It would blow your mind the amount of evidence there is behind most of what you learn in school. Poeple don't just come up with ideas and they find their way in text books the next day. Scientists can be some of the most skeptical and probbing poeple, there is nothing they hate more than letting someting illogical fly by. Ofc, some of the stuff in your textbooks, and probably most of it, is wrong in the sense that a more unifying theory will come by sooner or later, but they do describe well the restricted set of phenomena they were tested on (for example, newtonian mechanics with "down to earth" forces and velocities is fine, while GR is its more unifying cousin).

"we are so eager to think they are right all the time,lol. so i got a "f" in class cause i ask for his proof on many subjects,lol."

Scientists are just as craving for proof as you are. There exists concrete evidence for everything they teach you, but if you are after this evidence and want to judge it for yourself, a teacher is hardly qualified to help you there. So really, you're asking the wrong person. If you get an "f" in that class, its because you are not applying youself hard enough, not because the whole world is crazy and everyone is trying to feed you lies... ;/

Edited by SpeedOfDark

Who voted flat? :lol:

I did.

It's more likely than being hollow...... :P

How could the earth be hollow and still have volcanic activity?[/font/size/color]

Edited by Goblin-5

How could the earth be hollow and still have volcanic activity?[/font/size/color]

It can't be and using things like sonar we have already determined what lies below the surface. It's not hollow and this has been PROOVEN for those of you who say otherwise.

I like the idea, but there is a distinct lack of evidence for it (i.e. none). We have a lot of proof that the Earth has its four layers: crust, mantle, outer core and inner core. If the earth is hollow, where does gravity come from? Unless the Terralvians built a gravity machine (which is impossible). Where does magma well up from? There may be, and probably is, undiscovered life in deep underground caverns, but no hollow Earth.

I've been facinated by science since 2 weeks ago. Many of you will lable me krazy, but living as an outlaw and doing time makes you think diffrent about alot of things. For whole my life i been thinking we where slaves, and i been somewhat right all the time. I've been listing to Tupac all my life, (i dont whant to break the topic "Hollow Earth" but i just want yall to know this) so when i got out of jail i was searching the internet for his defenition of "Killuminati" wich been traveling through my mind everyday when doing time. I came to the conclusion it ment Kill-Illuminati. I don't know if anyone of you know about the Illuminati, but its the Secret Gouverment. Ever since i knew that i been doing research on it and i defentily believe it exists. Im not going to go further in explaination of the "Illuminati", but i thought i'd start about it as i go further.

I dont think yet the Hollow Earth realy exists, but there is a big chance it does. Aliens, Outherspace creatures, im 100% sure we are not alown ever since i knew we lived in the universe. While in jail i readed some stuff about a man who predicted a whole lot of things wich realy came true, including an accurate prediction on both World Wars. The thing he predicted also was something like; "Man will soon go into space but find nothing but lifeless deserts. Life simular to ours they will not find. It will be there, but they will not be able to understand where." Now what i think he was reaching for is the fact that we actualy are one of the verry few special races living on the outside of a world.

Now also there is this Mayan Wheel i dont know much about it, but as far as i can remember its an calender saying every 2012 years the earth will switch magnectic fields causing some effect i cant remember, either something to do with destruction, discovery or evolution. Also it includes explaination of an entrance to the underworld. This Mayan Calender or Wheel has also been found in a crop circle.

Now what i guess why we dont know anything lets say "official" about the entrances on both poles, is becous of the Illuminati in my eyes. Its a fact, the USA has meetings with Russia if i can remember it right, UNDER the icecaps on the pole. Its a fact there is a base on the icecaps wich is not know much about. Its a fact that the air right in the middle of the pole above the icecaps is warmer than it should be, and up there is the most sea life to be found anywhere in the ocean, birds always fly totaly up north in the winter, aint that strange? If the earth is round, why are the poles flatend wich actualy makes the earth not totaly round. Actualy how come the ozon gap is above the pole? Area 51 is a fact aswell. I've read about something i actualy can't reach or believe, the Secret Gouverment has connections with "aliens" or... inside earthers? Now we all know that if the inner earth is populated, it must be highly educated beeings with high technology. Now just think about this... How come for all these years our technology hasnt been evolved so damn fast as the last 30-40 years, and yes there is already higher technology then the normal people know about wich dint came out yet becous they wouldnt make money of it if it did. Is it possible we got this teached by, other beeings..? Or not...

Why i think we never accidently flew or drove into the innerearth holes is becous when your about to reach them compasses go krazy and navigation sends you around them without knowing your not going straight over them, this has been proved. I cant remember right but it had to do with height and degrees. Or has the the Secret Gouverment got something to do with the navigation aswell?

If anyone can tell me why we only have a verry few satelite pictures from the poles please state why. Actualy these pictures totaly disapeared from official sources...Wait, by the way who actualy owns NASA? Yup, your right affiliates of the Illuminati.

I've read a whole bunch of stuff about the moon actualy proven to be hollow. Some theory's state its a space ship, i seriously dont know what to think about that. Somedays ago ive read a whole documentation wich took me about 4 hour, of a man recalculateing gravity and comparing official gravity with some theories that actualy could be real and actualy was proven to work in scale models. The most believeable theory is that the inner sun produces our gravity i cant explain in words how becous it all where complicated calculations and the document was written in dutch. The way he mentioned it works was that the gravity field comes out of the pole holes and surrounds the outher surface as well as the inner one completely from the nuclear and some other radioactive stuff included in the inner sun. His calculations on that single inner sun also explained why the earth wouldnt collapse and why there are vulcano's spitting lava.

So if there's life inside planets it would be the most ultimate form of life. Always living in a tropical climate becous the sun reaches every piece of the landscape, if its the size calculated causing the gravity field. No danger for outerspace comets and space trash destroying the population. Wouldnt the aliens find us a real dumb race if its true were one of the few living on the outside of a planet with nothing but danger surrounding us? Are they trying to help us with technology to know beter? Or are they just warning us with those crop circles to go somewhere else or inside the earth befour 2012?

Falling back on the 2012 theory. If that 2012 theory is true i got an even more krazy theory above it. Every 2012 years the planet earth meets this huge phenomenon of switching magnetic fields, ending up with an empty planet ready for new life. So everytime this happends beeings populate it again starting of beeing barbare's untill they find knowledge and evolve with the chance of surviving the danger coming 2012 years after year 0. This could also be the reson why aliens visit or observate us to either help us out or just watch the spectecular 2012 year phenomenon.

I've once readed the blond hair underworld humanoids or what ever they are gave a discoverer from our upper earth world the message to stop making/testing nuclear weapons, becous it could destroy the entire earth, or some sort of story like this there are a couple like it. I actualy dont believe it but think about it...

I have so many more to tell but these are about the main topics i wanted to share and talk about. This is the first time i actualy written about my thoughts and things i know about this topic. I hope yall understand a little what im trying to tell becous my english isnt that good yet, please reply.. Take it eazy Jack.