Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Thanato

Canadian troops come under fire

Thanato

Canadian troops come under fire in Afghanistan

Canadians on patrol in southern Afghanistan came under fire Saturday night when three rocket-propelled grenades landed near their camp.

No Canadians were hurt. They responded by firing shells from their new M777 howitzer, a towed artillery piece weighing more than 4,100 kilograms.

Coalition forces were sheltered behind a mud-walled compound on farmland about 60 kilometres northeast of their Kandahar base.

The grenades fell into fields just south of the village of Gumbad, military officials said.

Members of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, who were setting up the camp, illuminated the area with flares. They sent a patrol to investigate but found no sign of the attackers.

On Sunday morning, Afghan police turned over to Canadian troops 43 kettle bombs, military officials told CBC News.

They're landmines put into cooking pots and hidden in places such as markets. They can be detonated from two kilometres away.

The discovery comes as Canada's military presence in the Kandahar region, in southern Afghanistan, is set to increase to 2,200 this month in an effort to improve security in the region.

Eighty-seven more troops left their base in Edmonton on Saturday for a six-month tour of duty in Afghanistan, replacing 40 who arrived home.

Source

~Thanato

Stellar

I really wonder what was going through the minds of the M777 gunners when they heard a request for artillery support...

et's daddy

Members of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

no offense to the troops of this unit

but c'mon

Princess Patricia's Light Infantry :blink:

Thanato

One of the most decorated Canadian infantry units ever :P

And for the Artillery Soldiers, they must of been jumping with joy that they are accualy needed :P when was the last time they were deployed with the big guns?

~Thanato

Edited by Thanato

__Kratos__
They sent a patrol to investigate but found no sign of the attackers.

At least the artillery guys had fun. :P

There's a video tape on the net (I can't find the bloody thing <_< ) but it shows attacks like the Canadians are talking about. Good way to get the blood flowing through the veins. :P The guys on the tape, weren't too happy being fired at and had quite a long string of words for the terrorists.

TooFarGone

I'm just glad that our fellow Canadians aren't under constant attack. But, they're doing a great job over there :yes:

Thanato

At least the artillery guys had fun. :P

There's a video tape on the net (I can't find the bloody thing <_< ) but it shows attacks like the Canadians are talking about. Good way to get the blood flowing through the veins. :P The guys on the tape, weren't too happy being fired at and had quite a long string of words for the terrorists.

Were is that video?

~Thanato

__Kratos__

Were is that video?

~Thanato

You're guess is as good as mine. :ph34r: I said I couldn't find it. I surf probably 10 different video sites and there are thousands of Iraq videos for vlogs and showing what's happenings.