Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great apes found to be rich in culture

UM-Bot

chimps.jpg
The evidence is mounting that great apes are a cultured lot, researchers heard at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Saint Louis this week. It is well established that apes are clever: gorillas lift electric wires with sticks to slip underneath; orang-utans can crack nuts open with rocks; and chimpanzees have been spotted elegantly sipping water from a sponge of crumpled leaves.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Nature.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• STIX

• mnwolfman

• Rykster

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It also reinforces the fact that we are not "special" or "chosen." We are simply more evolved. Next, the religious will decide that gawd gave apes souls as well, just to avoid the inevitable argument that we are not so different from them. There will be a big to do about the "awakening" of the simian soul.

Very interesting article. I've thought the same thing for a few years, since taking anthropology in college. It also lends a little more credence to those that want to include chimpanzees in the human genus, changing them from Pan troglodytes to Homo troglodytes. And that could open a whole new can of worms...

Also, maybe now people will believe me when I say CHIMPS INVENTED WAR!! we only introduced technology to it... how primitive we are.