Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

United Arab Emirates company

joc

Frist Calls for Halt to U.S. Ports Deal

By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist called Tuesday for the Bush administration to stop a deal permitting a United Arab Emirates company to take over six major U.S. seaports, upping the ante on a fight that several congressmen, governors and mayors are waging with the White House.

"The decision to finalize this deal should be put on hold until the administration conducts a more extensive review of this matter," said Frist. "If the administration cannot delay this process, I plan on introducing legislation to ensure that the deal is placed on hold until this decision gets a more thorough review."

Source

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we really want Arabs running our ports? Is this an issue worth fighting or is it 'profiling' in a very large way?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PadawanOsswe

• joc

• __Kratos__

• Celumnaz

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure. I have to stop myself from being a knee-jerk reactionary isolationist.

I'm trying to find out if the US owns any ports anywhere. All imports get loaded overseas...

Why do I question my gut reactions? Usually they're right. Just, I have no supporting evidence atm to back up my instinct. When this *should* have been reported, we were getting stories of a licenceless drunk Cheney pulling a hiding maneuver after killing a lawyer.

This was posted here also (Link)

Celumnaz , perhaps this link will assist your inquiry. :)AAPA Link

Also, as an information link on the subject of ports and ocean trade. Transportation in the United States , including ports. (Link)

Edited by Imaginary Friend

Not sure. I have to stop myself from being a knee-jerk reactionary isolationist.

I'm trying to find out if the US owns any ports anywhere. All imports get loaded overseas...

all I know is that these 6 major ports were run by Brits before the U.A.E

so I guess we trade our ports every now and then.

This makes it easier for Muslim extremists to sneak a dirty bomb into our country. I don't feel safe in Saudi Arabia's hands, sorry.

:hmm: I second that sentiment...

This makes it easier for Muslim extremists to sneak a dirty bomb into our country. I don't feel safe in Saudi Arabia's hands, sorry.

The U.A.E fight the War on Terror with us, they are our Ally. and The U.S. Coast Gaurd is entirely in control of Security operations at the ports. so I'm sure that inspection of every imported item is garaunteed.

:tu:

The U.A.E fight the War on Terror with us, they are our Ally. and The U.S. Coast Gaurd is entirely in control of Security operations at the ports. so I'm sure that inspection of every imported item is garaunteed.

:tu:

Do you have any idea just how many items go through ports each day? :blink: It would take more then just the coast guard to do such a job. The UAE has had past brushes with terrorists overseas, that's not a good thing.

Do you have any idea just how many items go through ports each day? :blink: It would take more then just the coast guard to do such a job. The UAE has had past brushes with terrorists overseas, that's not a good thing.

well I mean the Coast Gaurd and or U.S. Customs.

well I mean the Coast Gaurd and or U.S. Customs.

Even so, it would require a huge, huge force of people to check each ship, each container and so forth. Just not reasonable because of the time needed.

Even so, we should invest more into scanning and detecting technology at ports.

Has anyone got any reason to believe that this is not a legitimate, honest company?

I mean, beside the fact that it's owned by Arabs?

Prejudices deceive the mind and cloud your judgement. Terrorists are more likely to succed in using this to their advantage than relyling on the very obvious measures. At least the ones we should be afraid of.

Has anyone got any reason to believe that this is not a legitimate, honest company?

I mean, beside the fact that it's owned by Arabs?

No. I think Republicans are just being paranoid and Democrats are using the issue as a way to show that they too care about Homeland Security. I think also that when Chucky Shumer starts talking bad about it...you really gotta consider that it's probably okay.

No. I think Republicans are just being paranoid and Democrats are using the issue as a way to show that they too care about Homeland Security. I think also that when Chucky Shumer starts talking bad about it...you really gotta consider that it's probably okay.

The UAE are ok they are pro Western in their outlook , dont consider all Arabs as terrorists, just thinking they must be buying a Lemon , if us Brits want to sell it.