Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

smart life in the deep

thecreeper

now the earth is about 70% oceans, and lakes right, and most of the ocean is unexplored right, so there is a chance that there is life that is life almost as smart as us , or as smart as,or possible smart than us, possible a squid, mermaid, etc?

Edited by thecreeper

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecreeper

• frogfish

• aquatus1

• Tone

werewolf child you arent real.... lol jk, but i dont think it is true just becuase it they were smarter than us dont you think they would have at least come up to land by now? i mean we have already been to the moon so they would be able to go up a few miles...

werewolf child you arent real.... lol jk, but i dont think it is true just becuase it they were smarter than us dont you think they would have at least come up to land by now? i mean we have already been to the moon so they would be able to go up a few miles...

maybe there scared of us, I mean I saw a mermaid ( I did honestly) and she swam away as soon as saw me looking at her.

cool, where did you see it?

5 years ago on san diego beach

Judging something as intelligent depends on how you define intelligent. The view most humans share is that humans are the most intelligent, simply because "We can make tools, we can build houses, we have civilization & religion, and we talk." Just because this or similar is the most common belief does not mean it is right.

The human is an animal. We do not believe the majority of other animals to harbor a great intelligence, although some animals are widely recognized as openly more intelligent than the rest of them, namely the dolphin, parrot, crow/raven, dog, and several others.

Just because the listed and several other animals display signs of a higher intelligence does not mean that they are not on par with other animals or even humans. The only acceptable difference between a human and an animal or insect that I can come up with is that a human actively asks "Why, How, When, Who, What?" and then applies it to real life situations constantly. Other animals have this capacity but do not use it as a human does, the most acceptable reason being that other animals have natural defenses such as tough skin, claws, etc while a human only has this ability to apply answers as concepts.

Other animals may do this and more. Other animals have a means of communication between one another, although it is not very similar to our own as we know it. Other animals may have philosophies, religions, etc, but we are unaware of this because they do not actively display it as the human does.

So the answer to your question is YES, there may be animals or creatures that are as intelligent or more intelligent than us, especially in the ocean. It all depends on how you measure intelligence, because intelligence itself is a man-made concept, therefore being a prime subject to our bias and need for dominance.

Edited by The Raven

I agree. But it might be possible they are as inteligent just have been unable to aquire the technology because they have only rescently gained this intelect or the variables of there inviorment have kept them from making technological advancements. Many of the necesities we use for our advancements are unavailible underwater such as electricity,wich can only be created in dry areas, and fire aswell. So i guess it's possible but unlikely.

other than dolphins?

avoiding us is a very intelligent move.... i mean, if they don't want to be disected, invaded, or forced to work at a walmart...

other than dolphins?

avoiding us is a very intelligent move.... i mean, if they don't want to be disected, invaded, or forced to work at a walmart...

in that order :o

5 years ago on san diego beach

So you were 10 years old then, correct? I think it was a bit of wishful thinking.

So you were 10 years old then, correct? I think it was a bit of wishful thinking.

okay, but another person told me they saw the same thing 2 days before that

im surprised squid arent what we are today... theyve been around for sooooooo long, we just got lucky i guess :/

Dolphins: [singing] So long, and thanks for all the fish / So sad that it should come to this / We tried to warn you all, but, oh, dear / You may not share out intellect / Which might explain your disrespect / For all the natural wonders that grow around you / So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Dolphins: [singing] The world's about to be destroyed / There's no point getting all annoyed / Lie back and let the planet dissolve around you / Despite those nets of tuna fleets / We thought that most of you were sweet / Especially tiny tots and your pregnant women / So long, so long, so long, so long, so long! So long, so long, so long, so long, so long! So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Dolphin: [singing] If I had just one last wish / I would like a tasty fish!

Dolphin: [singing] If we could just change one thing / We would all have learnt to sing!

Dolphins: [singing] Come one and all / Man and mammal / Side by side / In life's great gene pool!

Dolphins: [singing] So long, so long, so long, so long, so long / So long, so long, so long, so long / So long, so long and thanks for all the fish!

Dolphins: [singing] So long, and thanks for all the fish / So sad that it should come to this / We tried to warn you all, but, oh, dear / You may not share out intellect / Which might explain your disrespect / For all the natural wonders that grow around you / So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Dolphins: [singing] The world's about to be destroyed / There's no point getting all annoyed / Lie back and let the planet dissolve around you / Despite those nets of tuna fleets / We thought that most of you were sweet / Especially tiny tots and your pregnant women / So long, so long, so long, so long, so long! So long, so long, so long, so long, so long! So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Dolphin: [singing] If we could just change one thing / We would all have learnt to sing!

Dolphins: [singing] Come one and all / Man and mammal / Side by side / In life's great gene pool!

Dolphins: [singing] So long, so long, so long, so long, so long / So long, so long, so long, so long / So long, so long and thanks for all the fish!

That's awesome :D Gotta love HGTTG

my sides :rofl::w00t::P:D:rofl::P , thanks :tu: I needed that

I like it too, glad you enjoyed it, but folks, even though I am flattered at the response, if we keep quoting and pasting it, the mods will whack us with their mod sticks. I can tell you from personal experience, it hurts !

Who's to say they have the same motives as us? Or were we talking about "smart humans" living in the deep? Cause I assumed we're talking about an undiscovered race of beings.

Maybe curiousity isn't one of their traits. Maybe they are content living the way they are. Or, like someone pointed out, they really ARE smart by choosing to avoid all contact with us.

Who's to say they have the same motives as us? Or were we talking about "smart humans" living in the deep? Cause I assumed we're talking about an undiscovered race of beings.

Maybe curiousity isn't one of their traits. Maybe they are content living the way they are. Or, like someone pointed out, they really ARE smart by choosing to avoid all contact with us.

Some humans are dangerous, so that maybe a reason, but I do think they are curious because I would not have the mermaid (I did) if I wasn't curious, it would not have been near the beach

Edited by thecreeper

Many ocean animals are extremly smart (dolphins) they just do not have the ability to advance themselves.. they cant exactly craft tools with there fins and bottle noses

who's to say they have not been on land and gone back to the sea?

at the end of the day, survival is far more important than mod cons etc. the oceans hold more food than the land.

you try living in the ocean and then we will see who is more inteligent, you or the giant squid who is eating you :w00t:

Many ocean animals are extremly smart (dolphins) they just do not have the ability to advance themselves.. they cant exactly craft tools with there fins and bottle noses

didn't you hear about the pod of dolphins who use coral to dig around for food? :hmm:

Advancement in mankind has mainly got to do with necessity, Dolphins on the other hand, like all other large mammals in the oceans, had no need to change or adapt to survive like man. It is as Darwin said, The evolution of the species of the world has evolved into what they are today, because of their current enviroment. Dolphins did not need to develop tools to live, and computers, or cars, it would not benefit their society. To create what they are today must have taken millions of years, if man had a sonar capability like dolphins maybe we would be able to talk with telepathy. :P We are a stupid species.

Humans define intelligence by our standard, that means able to form non-instinctual complex behaviour that benefit their own existence, ability to invent tools, use them. If an animal fails that test, they are non-intelligent. If we decide to be arbitrary, who is to say that a sponge is not intelligent, despite its lack of a brain?

Well, there might be a more comprehencive, intelligent creature that us deep in the trenches of the ocean. The reason they wouldn't surface? Well, one: They won't be adjusted to the water pressure. Two: They'd probably get more nitrogen than oxygen. Three: They're too deep in the ocean to even realize there's anything else. If you find a newspaper saying "Dolphins disappear from Earth" you'll know what's going on ;)

Edited by Nadal