Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

So, how's it going, eh?

Thanato

So, how's it going, eh?

INDEPTH: CANADA - U.S. RELATIONS

The relationship between North America's two largest countries may have been a bit testy as the 20th century wrapped up and the 21st began. But compared to the 18th and 19th centuries, it was an arm-in-arm stroll through the park.

In the years following the American war of Independence, the United States and British North America relations were testy at best. People opposed to the American break with Britain headed north and settled in what would become New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario.

There was a movement south of the border that argued for an invasion – and annexation – of parts of what would become Canada. Britain was tied up fighting Napoleon's European ambitions and many Americans saw that as an opportunity to strengthen the new republic's security.

In 1812, the Americans invaded southern Ontario – but met much stiffer resistance than expected. By 1814, the war had ended with neither side making gains of note.

Relations between the two countries slowly but steadily improved after the war – until the 1837 rebellion in Upper and Lower Canada. The Canadian rebels – who sought more domestic and less British control of the government – received support from Americans in bordering states. Some of the Americans who were captured were tried and hanged. Others were shipped off to penal colonies in Australia. A few were sent home because they were deemed too young to have known better.

By the time Canada was officially a country in 1867, the United States was busy repairing the divisions caused by civil war. But by 1876, cross-border tensions would rise again. After annihilating General Custer and his army at Little Big Horn, Chief Sitting Bull and 3,000 of his followers slipped into what would become Saskatchewan. The Mounties spent the next five years working to keep the Sioux and the U.S. Army from launching cross-border raids on each other. By 1881, the Sioux were persuaded to return to the U.S.

In the years that followed, relations between Canada and the U.S. ebbed and flowed, mainly over economic matters, or boundary disputes. In 1903, an international tribunal imposed a settlement over a long-running dispute over the boundary between Alaska and British Columbia. A British judge on the panel sided with the Americans. Then prime minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier complained that because Canada had to rely on Britain to negotiate treaties, Canada could not adequately protect its international interests.

It wasn't as though Ottawa could ask its ambassador to Washington to deliver a sharply worded letter to the American president when these disputes flared up. Canada didn't have its own representative in Washington until 1944, when Leighton McCarthy was appointed. Before that, Canada was officially represented by the British, and unofficially represented by Canadian diplomats operating from legations in major world centres like Washington, London and Paris.

By 1957, Canada and the U.S. had jointly set up NORAD, the North American Air Defence Command. But the economy – and the growing American influence over Canadian industry – was catching the attention of Canada's new prime minister, John Diefenbaker. He argued for Canadian independence from U.S. influence. Following two decades of heavy U.S. investment in Canada. Americans controlled 70 per cent of the capital of Canada's petroleum and natural gas industry and 90 per cent of the auto industry.

Source

~Thanato

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KingTomis

• ShadowDancer

• jeceris

• Thanato

Top Posters In This Topic

so what do you kanooks think of that?? Good or bad??

I personally like the connection between our two contries. I hope that when #hit hits the fan, Canada joins up with us. We are brothers, and neighbors.

Not a big fan of Canada, and I'll tell ya why.

I once ventured across the border in hopes of finding a Wendy's and eating Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers with Canadian bacon on them. But to my dismay, it was just the same old bacon we have in the states. What a jip.

just the other week, in was at a hockey tournament with my son in prescott, ontario.

prescott is on the north side of the st lawrence and you can look across the river and see new york state.

we were driving around because we had some time to kill, and came upon a historic site. it was an old windmill, now a lighthouse, and there was a little plaque there that old the tale of a battle in 1822, where some americans thought they would raid prescott, take it from the british, and then turn west towards kingston and take that fort, ultimately taking upper canada for the americans.

they landed near the windmill and expected support from the locals, but didn't get as much support as expected. the british troops fought them, many of the americans were killed, those that weren't were either hung, or sent to australia.

until i read that plaque i didn't know of all the nasty battles that did occur between americans and british soldiers, in the area i live in.

so yeah, overall i'd say relations have improved since then.

and for me, it's never been the americans i've met, they're always very kind hearted people. and some are not aware of much that isn't shown on fox, but one on one, i like americans.

i just can't understand how most can support regimes that are centered around making money, a whole lot of money, for a very few, like the republicans do every time they're in. the policy of these people seems to show little regard for the true needs of the countires they are affecting, they think they know best, and no one can tell them different.

and i don't think the majority of americans even think at all about canada.

only when the press makes them think the borders are weak, or we're too liberal in out thinking.

but as a canadian, i will always strive to point out that i'm not american, that is also part of the canadian identity, always will be.

but anyway, come on up anytime and i'll buy you a pint, of REAL beer :tu:

Anyone who will buy me some Molson is fine by me. Not the best, but certainly better than the cheap p*** water beer I normally drink.

One thing that is true is that Americans are not educated about Canada. We learn nothing of your history, your government, or your people in schools, which is pretty dumb considering we live so close to on another.

While on the internet American take cheap jabs at Canadians and vise verse, we are all pretty much the same. I have several very good Canadian friends here at school and have a French Canadian professor who is absolutely hilarious.

Some Canadians may dislike Americans, but you will be hard pressed to find an American who actually dislikes Canadians, it's just that many are just uneducated, or simply dont care.

i gotta agree with king tomis, a guy asked me if i had a pet polar bear and if it was snow year round and i live in one of the most southern parts of manitoba :/

in all fairness it isn't just americans who know little of our country.

the following is from an email i recieved awhile ago, don't know the source but i will copy out the article.

now that vancouver has won the chance to host the 2010 olympics, these are some questions people the world over are asking. beleive it or not, these questions about canada were posted on an international tourism website.

Q i have never seen it warm on canadian tv, so how do plants grow?(UK)

A we import all plants fully grown and then just sit around and watch them die

Q will i be able to see polar bears in the street?(usa)

A depens on how much you've been drinking

Q i want to walk from vancouver to toronto, can i follow the railroad tracks?(sweden)

A sure, it's only 4000 miles. take lots of water

Qis it safe to run around in the bushes in canada?(sweden)

A so it's true what they say about swedes

Q it is imperative that i find the names and addresses of places to contact for a stuffed beaver.(italy)

A lets not touch this one

Q can you give me some info about hippo racing in canada?(usa)

A africa is a big triangular shaped country south of europe. canada is the big country to your north ...oh forget it.sure, the hippo racing is every tuesday night in calgary. come naked

Q which direction is north in canada? (USA)

A face south, then turn 180 degrees, contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions

Q can i bring cutlery into canada?

A why? use your fingers like we do

Q can you send me the vienna boys choir schedule?(USA)

A austria is a quaint little country bordering germany which is....oh forget it. sure the vienna boys choir plays every tuesday night in vancouver and calgary, right after the hippo races. come naked

Q do you have perfume in canada?(germany)

A no. we don't stink

Q can you tell me the regions in british columbia where the female population is smaller than the male population? (italy)

A yes, gay nightclubs

Q do you celebrate thanksgiving in canada?(USA)

A only on thanksgiving

Q are there supermarkets in toronto and is milk available all year round?(germany)

A no we have a peaceful civilization of vegan hunters/gatherers. milk is illegal

Q i have a question about a famous animal in canada, but i forgot it's name. it's kind of a big horse with horns. (USA)

A it's called a moose. they are tall and very violent, eating the brains of anyone walking close to them. you cna scare them off by spraying yourself with urine before you go out walking.

Q will i be able to speak english most places i go?(USA)

A yes, but you will have to learn it first.

When I think of Canada I think of people like those from Vermont most often.

I love canada, and its people. as much crap as we give each other, i think the people het along much better together than our governments.

I don't think Americans and Canadians will ever be best friends, i have talked to both on the Internet and i find Canadians are more like the British in their outlook.

When i got talking to Americans i soon found out if i joked about their Country , i was called a Limey fag, the Canadians loved my jokes and understood me.

Perhaps the culture of your Nations is not ready to be joined at the hip yet, perhaps sending a few Mexicans might help , Joke. :D

Despite all the intense Bloodshed between not only Canada and the U.S. but also between the U.S. and the British, there has been a drastic change in our political relationship.

One thing that is true is that Americans are not educated about Canada. We learn nothing of your history, your government, or your people in schools, which is pretty dumb considering we live so close to on another.

That is sad. :hmm: I remember learning a lot of american history: The American Revolution, their government, The African American Slavery, and many other interesting stuff . We also had to learn a lot of the geography of the U.S. Geo-political Maps: all the States, capital cities and other non-major cities, rivers, terrain, regions, etc . :yes: Well that's pretty much how the education criteria is for in the high school I went to. Could be different in other Provinces. I'm not that sure, but I can say we're generally well educated. :)

Beleive it or not, these questions about canada were posted on an international tourism website.

Q i have never seen it warm on canadian tv, so how do plants grow?(UK)

A we import all plants fully grown and then just sit around and watch them die

And Commenting on those questions and answers Jeceris posted, well that's all hilarious. Reminds, me of watching Jay Leno and his "Jaywalking" clips. :lol:

Edited by Scorpius

I don't think Americans and Canadians will ever be best friends, i have talked to both on the Internet and i find Canadians are more like the British in their outlook.

When i got talking to Americans i soon found out if i joked about their Country , i was called a Limey fag, the Canadians loved my jokes and understood me.

Perhaps the culture of your Nations is not ready to be joined at the hip yet, perhaps sending a few Mexicans might help , Joke. :D

Yeah, because everyone behaves in person exactly the way they do online. Put a bunch of Canadians, Americans and British people in a room to intermingle and they would have no problems with each other.

Just because some 12 year old kid in Canada types "omg i hates teh bush administration and all americans are stupid because they all voted for him :angry2: :angry2: " and is replied right back by some 12 year old American saying "leik, your just stupid, your jelous that you all didnt come up with family guy. america rulez, were #1 :devil: " doesn't mean there is hostility between the two nations. There is more to life than the internet. If both those kids met in real life, they would probably sit down and talk about their favorite video games. You just cant compare the way people act online to the way they will react in a real life situation.

And yeah Scorpius, it is quite sad that the majority of Americans know so little of our friend to the north. As funny as it sounds, my U.S. Govt teacher in high school was Canadian born and raised. She told us how Canadian students learn just as much about American history, govt and geography as their own. She tried to fit in as much Canadian history as possible, but American school systems are set up based on standardized tests. The big wigs in the state govt. decide what kids need to learn, then the teachers have to teach the students just enough so that they pass the year end test administered by the state to check on how well the school is doing.

A bunch of rubbish. Being naive to not only Canada and its history and people, but the rest of the world is going to come kick us all in the butt one day.

I usually dislike most of the stuff I hear from you, but this was pretty damn funny lol..

And I got a lot of Euro buddies I talk to on Ventrilo and such, and we talk smack about eachothers countries, but everyone knows its in good fun. It seems over in EU, people seem to think Americans favorite saying is, "HEYYYY MANNNNNNNNNN, (Surfer style) LETSS GO GET A CHEEEEEESEEEBURGER MANNNN" lol..

But naw, I love my Euro Brothers, and those Whacky Kanooks..

well first off we are all "Americans" North Americans that is but i have no problem with canada, drinking age is 19!! lol i think anyway. Has anyone seen Canadian Bacon?? great movie!!! :)

drinking age is 19? where's this? in my part of Canada, it's 18.

One thing I noticed in the states, the beer doesn't have the percentage of alcohol on the bottle. Or maybe I was too drunk to see it.

lol

and why is fried ham considered Canadian bacon? isn't it just ham??

all joking aside, I've seen ignorant opinions of both countries (not speaking of this forum or website), but that just indicates that we need to learn about each other.

The original post here was a great idea, thank you Thanato.

Edited by ShadowDancer

drinking age is 19? where's this? in my part of Canada, it's 18.

One thing I noticed in the states, the beer doesn't have the percentage of alcohol on the bottle. Or maybe I was too drunk to see it.

lol

and why is fried ham considered Canadian bacon? isn't it just ham??

all joking aside, I've seen ignorant opinions of both countries (not speaking of this forum or website), but that just indicates that we need to learn about each other.

The original post here was a great idea, thank you Thanato.

:lol: Too drunk to see it is a good bet. Beer has it on the bottom of the label most often, but always somewhere on it.

Hmm...just ham? Canadian bacon and ham are seperate in the states to. Like for breakfest the other day I had canadian bacon with eggs but today I had a ham sandwich. :blink: Just how things are... :P

hehehe that must cost ya loads in fish!

anyone ever see the TV show called An American in Canada?

it's actually quite funny :lol:

:w00t:

In ONtario the drinking age is 19.

Oh, and i have a pet polar bear :P lol

~Thanato

i bet he/she is a great guard bear huh? :w00t:

OH, and I wonder why it's 19 in Ontario and 18 elsewhere? are Ontarians slower to mature than the rest of us???

(just joking btw ;))

OH, and I wonder why it's 19 in Ontario and 18 elsewhere? are Ontarians slower to mature than the rest of us???

(just joking btw ;))

never understood that one myself.

however, i live in ottawa, and just across the river from quebec, where i was able to buy beer at 16, not that that's the legal age over there, but growing up, it was the place to buy beer if you weren't of legal age, probably still is.

(just joking btw ;))

Your trying to say people from Ontario mature slower then the rest of canada by a year?!?! WTF?!?! WE ALL KNOW PEOPLE FROM ONTARIO DONT MATURE WELL INTO THEIR 30'S!!! =0p.. j/k you whacky b*******, the us civilian population loves ya long time.

Also, whats up with the lack of american Diss's?!?! We wanna hear them!! Bring on the Stereotypes Canada!! We need to iron out the kinks and bs before our contries really know how close we really are.

Edited by HurtingSpirit

Canada = cool in my books due to "Trailer Park Boys". Any of you Canucks watch it?

Bubbles has to be the coolest dude in the the existence of trailer parks.

yeah, sometimes we watch Trailer park boys, movie's coming out soon, that should be, special......

it's funny in a hillbillyish sorta way.