Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oil's real purpose

gonzowalker

I work in the oilfields of Texas and have often wondered if the stuff is supposed to stay in the ground. I don't know what the Earth or nature would use it for though. There aren't many things that get wasted naturally, so could it be down there for some other reason besides lubricating motors and giving me a job?

I know it sounds dumb, but I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean.

Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

Is it that oil has a purpose to the earth? Or that oil is a natural occurence of decompostion? Well whatever it is we have been MISUSING oil for centuries. I do not understand how this pathetic goverment of the United States of America, and the rest of ours, continue to use oil and fossil fuels as a most profitable business. Oil is a natural process which most livings things go through, so i see no need to worry that it is something else wink2.gif

-Doppelganger

Well whatever it is we have been MISUSING oil for centuries.

Ignoring the rest of your post, which I'm afraid some people are going to quite justifiably take offence at, personally I would just like to know what, in your opinion, is the correct use of oil (which is the whole point of gonzowalker's question).

• Like 1

I think that oil solves a lot of energy issues, but unfortunately has harmful side effects on the Earth's environment, primarily due to the population's over-reliance on this resource.

It will be extremely difficult to sell alternatives as long as there is a supply of oil. This resource, and it's by-products, have become so firmly entrenched in everyday life. Coupled with the fact that the oil cartels/companies have so much influence in the world I can't see any alternatives gaining equal standing in the near future.

My opinion for the correct use of oil would be to stop using it as soon as possible. Governments need to invest BIG $$$$ into cutting edge research and development of alternative energy sources.

One day it will run out - and even before that happens can you imagine the cost of living when it is known that there is an oil shortage? Everything will go up - and quickly. The only ones laughing will be the cartels and the governments who always ensure they get a piece of the action.

• Like 1

I do not understand how this pathetic goverment of the United States of America, and the rest of ours, continue to use oil and fossil fuels as a most profitable business.

The pathetic government of the United States does not use fossil fuels as "a most profitable business", and what do you mean by 'pathetic'? Also, what does "and the rest of ours" mean?

The pathetic government of the United States does not use fossil fuels as "a most profitable business", and what do you mean by 'pathetic'? Also, what does "and the rest of ours" mean?

Sounds like another exercise in Yank bashing to me, Homer.

Everything's your fault, apparently. wink2.gif

Mis-use of the world's oil reserves, the starving millions, the black death, extinction of the dinosaurs, and Justin Timberlake.

Okay, you'll have to put your hands up for the last one. grin2.gif

Sounds like another exercise in Yank bashing to me, Homer.

Everything's your fault, apparently.  wink2.gif

laugh.gif I know what you mean Cufflink. For the record, I despise the U.S. government, but it is not the reasons for all the worlds problems. Also, there are crime and corruption and greed in every government on earth. Lastly, regardless of my personal feelings of my own government, I feel compelled to defend it on an international forum when someone either 1) condems or insults the U.S. government on non specific issues not related to the topic; or 2) condems or insults only the U.S. government on specific issues that other governments are at fault with also.

I might have come of a little too strong. Okay i did come off WAY too strong. What i meant to say was, this is a process that we have been ussing for some time, and that these governments of ours have not put enough effort into finding other sources. So by means of the word pathetic i used, all i was meaning to say was that we should be putting more work into finding other sources, hydrogen fuel cells, etc. With all the taxation and profits made off of oil, why not put them into finding better and more effiecent ways of producing energy. ph34r.gif sorry but is this supposed to be a ninja? and yet another sterotype. i was not meaning to offend you Homer, you are from what i have read on these posts a most knowledgeble person. But yet you said it yourself that you do not like the US government, and they maybe THE superpower of the world right now, but still with that fool George W. Bush leading the country i am suprised at how you guys are doing. I am not a yank basher disgust.gif but i will critisize the worse points in these governments. As for what i think the 'true' meaning or use of oil is? Nothing, not an earth given reason for it, just a material and process us humans have been using for some time. Well i hope i have cleared up some of the issues here, sorry for any misunderstandings crying.gif

-Doppelganger

PS; 'the rest of ours' this was to mean the other governments, mine the Japanese, the British, etc.

PPS: Homer please look at the 'ever think is time is real' board

i was not meaning to offend you Homer

I was not personally offended Doppelganger, but I appreciate your concern. My point was that you said governments were pathetic, and you called out the U.S. government by name, yet never specified what you meant by pathetic.

But you're doing it again. First you said "this pathetic goverment of the United States of America", and then on your most recent post you said "that fool George W. Bush"

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but you should refrain from personally attacking someone, especially when those attacks are non specific and not related to the topic anyway.

That being said, I agree that not enough is being done to find other sources of fuels. I imagine these billionaire oil tycoons are lining the pockets of policy makers.

PPS: Homer please look at the 'ever think is time is real' board

I have, and find the topic very interesting original.gif

I think that as long as oil is profitable, no company will put serious effort into developing other, more viable forms of energy. Especially the oil companies, at the moment they have nothing to worry about. Until something happens that makes a serious dent in their bottom lines, it's just going to be business as usual, I'm afraid. And I don't see any of us trading in our cars for bikes anytime soon.

As for oil's purpose in nature, who knows. But since it is a naturally occurring process, as long as there are living things dying and decomposing, there will always be oil deposits being formed. Just maybe not as big as they once were, we are using it faster than it can be made.

may i make a statement? i dont like the government either, but itll be hard to change it untill the citizens change themselves.

But once it does change we might find alternate resources thatll put oil to shame.

may i make a statement? i dont like the government either, but itll be hard to change it untill the citizens change themselves.

Why even start off with a question asking if you can make a statement, if you're not going to wait for a response prior to making that statement?

May I answer you, Homer? I don't care. I'm going to answer you anyway. tongue.gif It's a rhetorical question.

I thought they realized oil doesn't come from decomposing once-living things, but from magma or something like that?

Something about oil being lighter than water and water being found on top of oil and the organics in oil are naturally occuring chemical reactions...

All this political stuff doesn't belong in this thread. Please. I don't agree with what I've read, so I'm sure I won't get anything but heat if I post my equivalent of "That Fool...". Just doesn't belong here.

As for the natural purpose of oil?

Well, mabye to greese the tectonic plates? grin2.gif

Maybe it's a precursor to a future hot springs...

Maybe it's a catalyst for a volcano...

I'm not sure... what is the natural purpose for nutrinos, or x-rays?

Maybe there is no purpose in nature, so if the universe won't use it... we will?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...

I know what your trying to say. I bet that oil proboly has other uses than it's being used for. Maybe it can be a substitute for baby food (IM JUST JOKING EVERYONE!) devil.gif

RH

Hey, if Brer Rabbit had a spoonful of Quaker State he might have gotten the Tar Baby to open up a little bit.

Someone remembers that story....Right?

• 2 years later...

This would appear to be one of the most important scientific questions of the modern day but just try searching the net for info on the subject. I cant belive no one stopped to think about the concequences of using up all the oil on the planet. Suppose its there to act as a temperature stabliser for the earth's core or something. Or just imagine the size of the caverns that are left down there, underground, will the surface of the earth cave in one day?? I really think that we have more than just the inevitable world conflict that Oil running out will bring. We have DOOMED OURSELVES.

PLease world leaders lets use some other form of energy. or at least research Oils natural perpose first. REMEMBER Mother nature wastes nothing. Everything in nature has at least one perpose if not mutiple purpose's So does Oil but does anyone know what that is did they bother to examine Oils natural perpose or was it just a case of "OOHHH LOOK MOMMY THAT BURNS WE CAN USE THAT TO RUN OUR CARS AND FUEL OUR POWER GENERATORS COMMON LETS SUCK IT ALL UP Out OF THE GROUND AND BURN IT ALL UP" . well anyway i think you know what i mean.

BIGAL

Let's see now. Before there was the use of oil for energy purposes, people burned wood (more lately coal) for heat, whale oil for lighting and used horses for transportation purposes. It is quite clear that had oil not been utilized, we would have run out of forests long ago, the whales would be extinct, and we would be up to our eyeballs in horse pucky. When oil really begins to run out, we will either find other sources for energy, or soon there will be a darn sight fewer of us. Until we begin to run out, I am not going to worry in the least. On a constant dollar basis, I pay a bit less for gasoline than I did in 1953. Moreover, Both Canada and the US have oil reserves in shale oil larger than the reserves in Saudi Arabia . . . each enough for both of our countries for the next 100 years. Nope, not going to worry at all. :no:

• 6 years later...

Oil was defined as fossil fuels by scientist paid buy some of the first oil movers and producers. The reason they want the population to believe crude oil comes from dead plants and animals is because that would suggest that it can be scarce which maybe it is more so now but that's not the point, the point is they can say its running out whenever they want so they can increase the price of oil. This might not be the real reason and so on and soo forth but the truth is the fact that people actually believe crude oil comes from dead animals and plants speaks volumes on man kinds stupidity.

People are stupid I'm stupid because I'm a person its the truth people will believe almost anything. Look at the depths that oil and gas are found and pulled from and just use common since. Just because its written in the books don't believe it do your own studies or just think.