Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Street Smarts vs Book Smarts

Guest Lottie

Debate Suggestion by Paranoid Android.

Street smarts vs book smarts - is it better to have a degree from university/college in order to be successful.

This will be another shorter debate of 4 bodily posts.

Looking for 1 participant. :tu:

Edited by Lottie

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AztecInca

• Paranoid Android

• Glacies

• Avinash_Tyagi

Thank-you Glacies and sorry for my earlier mistake!

______________ will be debating for Street Smarts while Glacies will be debating for Book Smarts.

This will be a 1v1 formal debate.

An Introduction, 4 bodily posts and a conclusion from each participant. No Flaming, bad manners or profantities will be tolerated.

Please be aware that:

There is a point deduction for debaters who fail to make a post within the 7 day time frame. The deductions will be 2 points for every day the participant fails to post after the 7 days.

This is to ensure that debates continue in a timely fashion. If for any reason you cannot post within the 7 days, please ensure that you let myself, Tiddlyjen or Lottie know to avoid having the points taken off your debate.

If, however the participant does not then attempt to make a post for upto 2 weeks after the 7 day rule has started an immediate disqualification will occur.

Aztec! :tu:

Edited by Lottie

INTRODUCTION

Truly an incredible subject for a debate, the topic of street smarts vs book smarts certainly encompasses all that is demonstrated in a well argued debate. It in fact could be paralleled into the concept of form vs function, in this case form being studies themselves, the term book smart encompassing the grasp on the higher educations, trying to understand how and why things work, while function being the practicality of a street smart individual, namely being not too concerned with how or why things happen, though able to put their education into use in a much more functional manner.

The educations themselves must be addressed however, as a book smart education is earned through the mind, namely studying and applying ones mental prowess to the task of enhancing said intelligence level. that is not to discredit street smart, which bases its education on personal experiences and a waryness obtained from a life in which intelligence was gained not through study and experimentation, but rather trial and error, finding what is most effective and doing so.

However, as this is a debate, i must have a side in this argument, and said side being the book smarts. i did have to mention a bit into the definition of street smarts however, to provide an adequate contrast for my argument.

While it is true in the sense of practicallity street smarts does take the advantage, however street smarts is unable to grasp the big picture, something that is only done with study. moreover, it is street smarts very practicality which also serves as a hinderance, as street tends to specialize in a certain way, namely perfecting a certain function or ability. however with book smarts, there is no limit to the levels of specialization one can attain. therefor, for being a bit more difficult, capable of understanding the how's and whys, and a great deal more generally applicable, book smarts is the clear winner in this debate.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be willing to debate this in the debating league. Since Glacies and I are both participants there, is that possible? Though I guess I'd prefer to debate for book smarts, I think I could do street smarts also, so bring it on!

Regards, PA

Guest Lottie

Edit: sorry PA I overlooked what you said, I thought you wanted to do this one.... You were talking about the debate league.

With the debate league the topics will be completely random and chosen by the organisers.

Okay still looking for someone on the side of Street Smarts.

p.s I tidied up the thread so its less confusing. :tu:

Edited by Lottie

EDIT: Avinash Tyaqi only those participating or applying in debates as well as debate organisers may post within a debate thread.

Edited by AztecInca

Guest Lottie

As no opponent has come forward yet and Glacies is taking part in the league, I feel it only fair on him to put this on hold for a while.

This thread will be put on 'ice' and closed until further notice. :tu:

Edited by Lottie