Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scarey Story

dancin'hamster

In 1966, a 22-year-old man named Billy Lowry went to his sister's 21st birthday party up in Stanley Park near Litherland. At around 2 am, Billy left the party, slightly intoxicated, with a girl named Mona who he'd met at the party. She lived off Gorsey Lane, and Billy walked her the half a mile to her home, even though he lived over a mile in the other direction at Warbreck Moor in Aintree.

Billy walked Mona to her door then kissed her goodnight. The girl embraced him again as he was about to leave and started to get a bit hot and passionate, but Mona's father came to the door and told her to get home earlier next time. Mona told her father that Billy would have to walk over a mile to get home and asked if he could sleep on the sofa. Mona's father said the young man certainly couldn't and that it was his lookout if he had to walk home so late. He grabbed Mona, and after pulling her into the hall, he slammed the front door in Billy's face and bolted it.

Billy slammed the gate as he left and embarked on the long journey home through the freezing early morning drizzle. He decided to take a short cut down Sterrix Lane, which ran parallel to Ford Cemetery. An eerie silence in that lane made Billy walk as fast as he could. All the time he walked down the lane, he had the weird feeling that he was being intensely watched by something. There was definitely an electric tense feeling of something evil lurking near the young man, so he started to whistle a Beatles song. Moments later, he distinctly heard a voice close by. The voice cried out a single word. That word sounded like Billy's surname - 'Lowry'.

'Lowry.' said the raspy deep voice once again.

Billy knew it came from behind him, but was so terrified, he didn't dare turn around, and he ran off and didn't stop running until he reached Boundary Road. Billy gasped for breath and reluctantly looked back down Sterrix Lane. It was deserted.

Billy got home that morning at a quarter to three and shuddered when he thought of the strange voice near the cemetery. But he countered his dark thoughts of the supernatural by thinking about the lovely Mona and her beautiful body, and with those pleasant thoughts, Billy fell asleep.

On the following day, Billy met Mona as planned at an expresso coffee cafe in Lord Street. The couple walked around the city hand in hand, kissing and cuddling, and even went on a ferry trip. Billy spent all of the money he'd borrowed from a friend on the ravishing Mona. The couple ended up leaving a pub called The Lorne on Russell Street shortly before 11 pm. They went to a fish and chip shop in the city centre then rode a bus from the Pier Head to Litherland. Mona said her father was away on this night, and asked Billy to stay. Billy was ecstatic at the prospect of getting serious with Mona, and was so anxious, he paid for a cab to take them to Gorsey Lane. However, at one in the morning, just when Billy was getting ready to go to bed with Mona, her father and uncle turned up and chased the young man right out of the house. Billy was completely flat broke and had to walk home to Warbreck Moor yet again. This time, because he was feeling more intoxicated than usual, he didn't feel the least bit scared as he passed the Ford cemetery. He shouted out: 'Come on ghosts! Come and get me! Ha! You're all dead in there, just dust!'

Billy walked on with an arrogant swagger. But his bravado quickly evaporated when he heard that chilling disembodied voice that he'd heard on the previous occasion. It said: 'Lowry!'

Billy's heart skipped a beat. He turned around this time.

At first he thought it was a balloon floating along towards him at eye level. But then as it came nearer, he saw it was a head. A skull-shaped head with an incredibly hideous face. It had bulging eyes that stared at him with pure hate, a long pointed nose, and a gaping mouth, lined with jagged yellowed teeth. There was no neck, just crimson shreds of flesh hanging from the head. The mouth moved slightly and a voice from it said: 'Lowry!'

Billy Lowry ran off out of breath in sheer terror. He kept saying 'No! No!' as he ran, but the floating ghoulish head followed closely behind, shouting Billy's surname. It sounded closer by the second as if the head was catching up with Billy. Billy screamed out: 'In the name of God, stay away from me.'

And the voice behind him ceased. Billy dared to glance back upon reaching the end of Sterrix Lane and saw to his relief that the gruesome apparition had vanished. The young man then ran on with a stitch in his side until he reached Dunnings Bridge Road.

On the following morning over breakfast, Billy told his parents about the spinechilling head that had chased him and called out his name. Billy's parents stopped eating and looked at each other in silence. Billy thought that they were regarding their son as a crank, but Mr Lowry asked him to go through the story again. When he had, Billy's father told him that this grandfather had accidently beheaded a workmate at a paper manufacturers up in Netherton in the 1930s. The man had been trying to fix the huge paper guillotine when George Lowry accidently pulled the wrong lever. The long blade came down and sliced the man's head clean off. The dead man's family hated the Lowry family because of the fatal accident George Lowry had caused. The decapitated man was buried at the cemetery off Sterrix Lane, just next to Ford cemetery.

When Billy heard his father's tale he felt sick with fear.

A subsequent investigation by a paranormal expert named Frank Hampson uncovered many more witnesses who had seen a disembodied head floating about in Sterrix Lane, including two gravediggers who were allegedly chased by the apparition in 1961.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent_21

• Cufflink

• Casper

• dancin'hamster

Got him yes!!! stick that up your **** Tony Greig

huh.gif

Cool. No matter how drunk I was, I wouldn't go down that street again. I don't think I would have even been by myself for atleast three days. I'm a scardy cat, your point being? disgust.gif j/k

But anyway, I have to go stay with my cousin for a while and there is a graveyard right next to their house. If I hear someone say my name, the next person that walks down that street will see my ghost.

In other words, I'll die of fright, lol. Well, fake or not, the story was cool and I'm talking to much.

Cya!

Who!!!  blink.gif  Former Sussex and England cricket captain.

laugh.gif

Sorry, 21. Pardon my cricket ignorance.

And well done Sussex. God knows what happened to Lancs. dontgetit.gif

Hahaha ...i didnt think anyone would undersatnd that ...yeah the guys name was Bill Lowry ...the same name as the former Austrailian Cricket Captain. If you have ever listened to " the 12th man" or " its just not cricket" youll understand what i mean

Lancs = Lancashire, county in north-west England, adjacent to Yorks, Ches and Cumb. wink2.gif