Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant squid grabs London audience

UM-Bot

news icon rOne of the biggest and most complete giant squids ever found is on display at London's Natural History Museum. Measuring a monstrous 8.62m (28ft), the animal was caught off the coast of the Falkland Islands by a trawler. Researchers at the museum undertook a painstaking process to preserve the giant creature, which is now on show in a 9m- (30ft-) long glass tank.

Giant squid, once thought to be sea serpents, are very rarely seen and live at depths of 200-1,000m (650-3,300ft).

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Synergy

• UM-Bot

• frogfish

• Glacies

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is impressive. i would be wowed by such a beast as well. though i'm still more impressed by the living squid pictures...not saying dead giant squid aren't cool, just saying theyre not as cool.

though i'm still more impressed by the living squid pictures...

Where did you ever see pictures of living Giant Squids? Last I had checked, Giant Squids had never once been seen (and proven [pictures, video etc.]) alive in their natural environment? Maybe I am wrong, however, If I am please do provide pictures; I would love to see some of a living Giant Squid!

Where did you ever see pictures of living Giant Squids? Last I had checked, Giant Squids had never once been seen (and proven [pictures, video etc.]) alive in their natural environment? Maybe I am wrong, however, If I am please do provide pictures; I would love to see some of a living Giant Squid!

Whoa, catch up with the news man...

A live giant squid was photographed by Japanese Scientists with a camera trap....the article is around here somewhere.....*scratches head*

A team of Japanese researchers took some video footage a few months ago, yu can probably find it easily with google. :tu:

I may go to see this, it's only about 20min from where I live; but whenever they have things like this on display it takes a few hours to queue up and you only get a few minutes. :P

Whoa, catch up with the news man...

A live giant squid was photographed by Japanese Scientists with a camera trap....the article is around here somewhere.....*scratches head*

WOW! How in the world did I miss that news!?

haha i don't know Guru, it was massive news everywhere on the news and everything. Go check it out. :)

I would love to see this, i'm always wowed by the complete specimens and although this lady isn't a particularly massive one, i'm sure she'll bring quite alot of attention.

Unfortunately it wont last very long. :(