Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Rykster

Yellowstone Bulge May Cause Thermal Unrest

Rykster

Yellowstone Bulge May Cause Thermal Unrest

BILLINGS, Mont. - A newly discovered surface bulge in Yellowstone National Park may be responsible for some unexpected geothermal activity in recent years, according to a study by U.S. Geological Survey scientists.

The bulge, about 25 miles across, rose 5 inches from 1997 to 2003 and may have triggered some thermal unrest at Norris Geyser Basin, including a sudden rise in temperatures, new steam vents and the awakening of Steamboat geyser.

The findings are part of a paper set to be published Thursday in the journal Nature.

Charles Wicks, one of the USGS scientists who worked on the study, said much of what happens beneath the park's surface remains a mystery, but more is being learned about the Yellowstone caldera, the huge bowl-shaped collapsed volcano in the middle of the park that last erupted 640,000 years ago.

Geologists discovered the dome on the northern rim of the caldera several years ago, and Wicks and others used satellite images and other tools to track its swelling.

Wicks and his colleagues theorize that molten rock moved out of the caldera and beneath the area of the inflating dome, which has been named the North Rim Uplift Anomaly. The floor of the caldera sank as the molten rock left.

Around the same time, some unusual activity began occurring in and around Norris Geyser Basin, according to the USGS findings.

Steamboat geyser erupted in May 2000 after nine years of dormancy, and then erupted five more times between 2002 and 2003. The nearby Porkchop geyser also sprang to life after 14 years of dormancy.

Ground temperatures at Norris, the hottest and most unstable geyser area in the park, rose so high in 2003 that Yellowstone officials closed some boardwalks out of fear that visitors might be burned.

And just north of Norris near Nymph Lake, a series of steam vents churned and emitted white clouds of gas.

Scientists studying the shore of Yellowstone Lake found that the caldera has been rising and falling for at least 15,000 years, sometimes swinging more than 10 feet.

Henry Heasler, Yellowstone's lead geologist, said research about the heaving caldera could play a role in predicting volcanic activity and help ensure the public's safety.

"We've known that the caldera breathes," Heasler said. "Now we're starting to get a much better idea of those respirations."

Source Yahoo News

Bella-Angelique

Saw some of that movie about if that blew up.

Pretty bad. Glad I do not live anywhere remotely close to it.

Rykster

Where do you live? I am 2k miles away and I could still die, from the doc I saw of what happens when that sucker blows.

Bella-Angelique

Where do you live?

In the deep southeast.

Rykster

Well, I am in the shallows of the Atlantic, Groton, CT, right on the edge of the US, and from what I have heard, this is not even a safe place from a volcano tens of thousands the force of Helen. I mean, this thing is a world shaping monster.

Conspiracy

from what i saw on that movie, with the map of the ash, itll even hit me in Manitoba, Canada :/

Bella-Angelique

I found this. It seems to fit well with this thread.

Scientific delight at discovery of buried kingdom

By John Noble Wilford in New York

March 1, 2006

SCIENTISTS unearthing an Indonesian village buried almost 200 years ago by the largest volcanic eruption in history have described it as a potential "Pompeii of the East".

One of history's most violent volcanic eruptions blasted the island of Sumbawa in the East Indies in 1815.

The sulfurous gases and fiery ashes from Mount Tambora cast a pall over the entire world, causing the global cooling of 1816, known as the "year without a summer".

The explosions killed 117,000 people on the island, now part of Indonesia, and wiped out the tiny kingdom of Tambora, on the volcano's western flank. The avalanche of pumice and ash buried the town under three metres of debris, with only four of its estimated 10,000 residents surviving.

"Events of this type will occur in the future, and we should be aware of what could happen," said Haraldur Sigurdsson, a geophysicist at the University of Rhode Island.

In an announcement on Monday at the university , a team of Indonesian and American scientists reported uncovering bronze bowls, ceramic pots, fine china, glass, and iron tools in gullies running through the jungle 25 kilometres from the volcano.

Preliminary excavations exposed the carbonised framework of a house measuring about six metres by 10 metres. The log beams, even some of the bamboo siding and thatch roof, are charcoal black, but the original shape of the house is preserved. Skeletons of two adults lay where they died, one of them clutching a large knife.

"There's potential that Tambora could be the Pompeii of the East, and it could be of great cultural interest," Dr Sigurdsson said.

A six-week survey with ground-penetrating radar showed the outlines of boulders, terraced fields, and the house. Spot excavations yielded more pottery and bronze, some bones and teeth, knives and a whetstone, even carbonised rice.

The New York Times, Reuters

zukie&jim

whats that jimmy buffet song? "where ya gonna go when the volcano-blow!"

where is my colata?--LOL

Rykster

It is interesting Bella, but let me grab some more info on super volcanoes. What you posted is impressive, but a volcanic mountain is but a pimple, compared to what lies under Yellowstone. Krakatoa, Tambora are immpressive, but totallt dwarfted by the likes of Yellowstone.

Rykster

"Yellowstone last erupted about 640,000 years ago, spewing 240 cubic miles (1,000 cubic kilometers) of material. Despite the newly discovered activity, researchers don't expect it to erupt any time soon. Eventually, however, it could explode again as a super-volcano that would destroy life for hundreds of miles around and coat the entire country in ash."

Full Article

240 cubic miles is scary big.

frogfish

I highly doubt it will erupt anytime soon...There has been no unusual activity going on.

Rykster

Interestingly, it does seem to erupt about every 600,000 years and, guess what time it is?

frogfish

...give or take a thousand :P

It created havoc during the cretaceous period....

Saxon

Interestingly, it does seem to erupt about every 600,000 years and, guess what time it is?

don't tell me... 600,001? well we are overdue...

Stalker

You know, I had finally gotten around the fact it may erupt, AND it being fairly close to the supposed end of the world, and then you bring it up again.

Thanks...

Thanato

If it does erupt, i could coat my area with less then a mm or something of ash.

I live in ONtario.

~Thanato

Rykster

^^^

Your lucky, the jet stream is on your side!