Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Senate urges Bush to take action on Darfur

Kuahji

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The U.S. Senate unanimously urged President Bush to take swift action to stop the genocide that the United States says is occurring in Sudan, and pressed for NATO to send troops and enforce a no-fly zone in the Darfur region.

The Senate passed the resolution on a voice vote late Thursday.

The resolution also calls on the U.N. Security Council to approve a peace enforcement mission for the region where tens of thousands of people have been killed and 2 million driven from their homes in three years of fighting between rebels and government-allied Arab militias.

"The U.S. must lead international efforts to stop the killing of innocent men, women and children in Darfur," said Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Delaware, in a statement Friday.

"By systematically abusing its own people, the Sudanese government has ceded its sovereignty, and the plight of the victims is now the concern of every civilized nation in the world," said Biden, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee who co-sponsored the measure with Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas.

The U.N. Security Council has started contingency planning to send U.N. troops to help the African Union mission, which has 7,000 troops monitoring the desert region that is the size of France and has said it is running low on funds.

But it could take a number of months to deploy U.N. troops, and it first requires African Union permission.

Biden said a NATO mission would help the African Union until the United Nations was ready to take over.

Found here http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/03/03...reut/index.html

Do you think that America will take action & do you think it should take action?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Pancake

• Kuahji

• zukie&jim

• __Kratos__

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't think the US should take action. Where the heck is all the other countries? One of the problems is the US is already so in debt because of all the military personal spread out through the world. I just don't think the US can finance another war. Other countries need to step up & take action. Besides, I'm sure as soon as we send troups more people will just hate us even more. Even though we'd be doing a good thing, others will probably call it "genocide," "illegal occupation," or something of that nature...

I think Nato and hopefully the African Union can do something maybe the U.S. can support the effort by just giving logistics. Which was a previous plan to stop the genocide.

To bad Sudan is part of the AU as well as other questionable African nations the irony.

LoL is it me can anybody else see the Anti-bush "Don't blame me I voted for kerry," "Axis of evil" stickers and t-shirts banners. lol maybe U.M. is partisan to the left.

Edited by Super Pancake

you got to find a little crude there first . then we'll send the guard!

Edited by jsf35rino

Personally I don't think the US should take action. Where the heck is all the other countries? One of the problems is the US is already so in debt because of all the military personal spread out through the world. I just don't think the US can finance another war. Other countries need to step up & take action. Besides, I'm sure as soon as we send troups more people will just hate us even more. Even though we'd be doing a good thing, others will probably call it "genocide," "illegal occupation," or something of that nature...

I completely agree. :yes:

Not to mention that in the past, they have asked for African only troops, so if a outside nation goes in, it would look really

you got to find a little crude there first . then we'll send the guard!

Well, yeah... then we'll have some interests in the areas to help. Sounds cold, and it is but that's how the world is run. War and troops aren't free.

Well, yeah... then we'll have some interests in the areas to help. Sounds cold, and it is but that's how the world is run. War and troops aren't free.

No wonder everbody hated Clinton over Somalia.