Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wounded Canadian soldier improving

Thanato

Wounded Canadian soldier improving after ax attack

The outlook is improving for a Canadian soldier who underwent surgery on Monday after being ambushed with an axe blow to the head in Afghanistan, a military doctor says.

Doctors operated on Capt. Trevor Greene at the U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany on Monday.

Maj. Nick Withers, a Canadian medical officer at the hospital, said Greene's surgery "went extremely well" and he was in intensive care in a medically induced coma.

"His condition has stabilized but he remains in critical condition, but we're much happier than we were eight hours ago," Withers said.

On Saturday, Greene was attacked during a meeting between Canadian soldiers and village elders in Gumbad, about 70 kilometres north of Kandahar. He suffered a head injury and his attacker was shot dead by other Canadian soldiers.

Greene was the 11th wounded Canadian to be taken to the hospital in four months; four are still there.

Last Thursday, Sgt. Darren Haggerty and Pte. Miguel Chavez were in an armoured vehicle that rolled over near Kandahar. One Canadian died in the accident, and one died later.

But both Haggerty and Chavez are recovering rapidly. Haggerty, in fact, says he wants to return to duty.

"I would like to back if I could. I'd go back tomorrow."

Master Cpl. Michael Loewen, the fourth Canadian at the hospital, also underwent an operation on his arm Monday morning. He was seriously injured when a roadside bomb exploded last Friday in a suicide attack that wounded four other Canadian soldiers, but he is recovering well.

The Canadian medical presence in Landstuhl is noticeably larger than a month ago. A second military doctor has been put on standby to deal with incoming injured soldiers and a Canadian military nurse will be posted to the base.

Source

~Thanato

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• Thanato

• __Kratos__

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out that this guy's related to a guy I did basic with...

Maj. Nick Withers, a Canadian medical officer at the hospital, said Greene's surgery "went extremely well" and he was in intensive care in a medically induced coma.

"His condition has stabilized but he remains in critical condition, but we're much happier than we were eight hours ago," Withers said.

Glad he is going to be recovering. :)