Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegaterians

et's daddy

cooking causes foods to breakdown and lose some of their nutritional value.

cooking, especially higher heats can result in the formation of carinogens.

if the food can be eaten raw, raw is the most nutritious way to eat it. As I already said, we do have this process called WASHING.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• hyperactive

• robbieb

• frogfish

Cooking food is still better...Like I said, it KILLS Pathogens that other ways cannot.

Frogfish a meat eater better cook the heck out of his food, if he doesn't he is looking in the face of some deadly viruses...... A vegan who eats organic plants (organic meaning grown without pesticides along with washing would be very safe, now another thing to consider is how the plant or animal is nourished unless you buy organic meat you are playing russian roulette with your health....Are you are of how meat gets to your table????

I eat whatever tastes good. That includes meat, and I'm pretty healthy myself. ^_^

this a vegan discusison if you would of read it, ET was asking for info on vegan diets not on what you eat there is another thread that asks for your diet...

Lets be considerate to the thread starter :D:D:D .

So washing raw meat will make it safe to eat???

I thought you said eat for health, not for enjoyment. Cook your food if you really want it to be healthy. It can carry Salmonella, E. coli, etc.

Just to clarify, raw foodists, or a living foods diet, only eat organic and uncooked/unprocessed nuts, grains, greens, seeds, etc., thus eating the food "raw", and not raw meat as in sushi.

Some will say boiling and steaming are the best ways for raw eaters to minimally cook some foods, but the science is in your body absorbing only living foods. Juiceing is a phenomenal way to acheieve maximum, and easy absorption.

The transformation of countless numbers of people full of dis-ease, whom are now healthy, vibrant and younger looking after choosing a stricly raw diet is quite amazing.

indeed cycle, but frog had some other motive in his post since he skipped over the entire discussion prior.

as per juicing. I used to juice quite a but, but switched back to eating the foods in a more whole format to get maximum benefit from the plant as well as in the case of fruit to not cause blood glucose spikes from the concentrated natural sugars.

Now, when it comes to fresh drinks I prefer my vitamix to my juicer. I suspect you are already well versed on the pros and cons of the various methods of juice extraction and pulverization.

I bypassed al lthe jucing Hyper i just figured i'd eat the fruit after i bought the jucier.....

cooking breaks down food making it less nutritious.

there is also this thing called washing :blink::P (along with organic produce)

Not always, cooking carrots makes Alpha-carotene more available ito absorb, and cooking tomatoes breaks down the cell walls and makes Lycopene more bioavailable. Both powerful antioxidants.

Edited by whoa182

how about if you cook the veggies and such like a soup and drink the broth :tu:

Unfortunately, carrots have a high GI, and tomatos are members of the nightshade family.

Tomatos have turned dark.

Luke the tomato is your father. :ph34r:

Just kidding- interesting stuff yall are talking about really

Unfortunately, carrots have a high GI, and tomatos are members of the nightshade family.

You do not eat food from the nightshade family? May I ask why not?

I have tryed to avoid them, but mostly due to the blood type diet, and the supposed harmful 'lectins' they contain. Do you know much about the blood type diet?

I don't think anyoneone is going to develop any diseases by eating carrots everyday... especially combined with plenty of other vegetables with high fiber. My fiber intake is generally around 60g a day so that keeps things steady...

Plus many of the foods that i eat like Red onions, garlic, balsamic vinegar lowers the postprandial glucose spike[2]. I eat 204g carrots almost daily and my insulin is very low(very insulin sensitive)

Although the Carrots and sweet potatoes have made me turn a bit orange/yellow :rofl:

You should eat some tomato products or just get lycopene from a supplement, Evidence for it's benificial effects are quite good

(1)Lycopene Information http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/subs...525,803,00.html

http://www.lycopene.org/]http://www.lycopene.org/

(2) Vinegar dramatically reduce the spike in blood concentrations of insulin and glucose that come after a meal.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/modules.p...rticle&sid=2475

Edited by whoa182

hyper you keep beating me to the post :D lol

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information on the net, some sources show cartots having a GI Index fof 47 (low GI). Earlier studies showed that carrots had some high hi of 92 but more recently reported as being much lower!

I really don't think carrots would hurt you :lol:

1 - carrots, fresh, boil - GI INDEX 49

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_d...cemic_index.php

2 - Carrots - GI INDEX 47

http://www.nutritiondata.com/glycemic-index.html

3 - carrots gi index low - 47

Edited by whoa182

Nghtshades are very high in alkaloids, substances associated with ( hallucinogens, medicines and poisions)they leech calcium from the bones, anyone looking for optiimum health wouldn't eat these especially after recovering from a major illness....the macrobiotic diet rarely eats or cooks with nite shades. nightshades are also suspected of redistributing the soft tissue of the body which is thought to cause kidney stones arthritis cancer and some other things...

Edited by Sheri berri

but wait, consumption of tomatoes show some benifical effects on cancer and anti inflammatory action in recent studies... Do you have any good references for your claims?

I'll provide mine later :) tired!

Heres an interesting page for you to read:

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugp.../lyc_0165.shtml

Heres a quote from it

"A recent review of 72 studies found 57 reports of inverse associations between tomato consumption or blood lycopene levels and risk of various types of cancer; 35 of these associations were significant. Evidence of lycopene protective effects were highest for cancers of the prostate, lung and stomach."

Edited by whoa182

Whoa i think the internet is great but you have to use reputable sources, i would recommend reading nutrition books or taking a class that is what I did i took alot of classes that are free if you have a large scale whole foods store or bristol farms, Hyper may kknow of the best sources of info on the net but I don't use it for that I go to the source if at all possible...You know A diet for a new america is a great book can be purchased online it will give you alot of good info.... a place to start

also 'studies' the main thing is who puts them out for which company often these so called studies are pushing the product, also where do you buy??that has an effect because of the Gmo's and pesticides.....

Edited by Sheri berri

whoa:

Not Enough Proof For Anti-cancer Effects of Tomato

There is not enough proof that consumption of tomato or tomato products would lead to decreased incidence of cancer as per the US FDA. Subsequently producers of tomatoes, tomato sauce and dietary supplements containing lycopene, the substance that makes tomatoes red, will not be allowed to advertise claims to the effect that tomato and tomato products would reduce the risk of cancer. However the companies may suggest limited link between tomatoes and a lowered risk of prostate cancer, as per the agency. FDA also rejected proposals to advertise lycopene alone which is available in supplements, as having cancer-related benefits.

FDA made these rulings in response to petitions from American Longevity, which makes supplements and other health products, and the Lycopene Health Claim Coalition, a group that includes ketchup manufacturer H.J. Heinz Co.

American Longevity says that lycopene in tomatoes reduces the risk of a number of cancers, including prostate, colon and breast cancer. The company offered a number of published studies in support of their arguments.

Heinz, meanwhile, only sought a connection between tomatoes and prostate cancer, company officials said. The FDA authorized the following for use on product labels: "Very limited and preliminary scientific research suggests that eating one-half to one cup of tomatoes and/or tomato sauce a week may reduce the risk of prostate cancer. FDA concludes that there is little scientific evidence supporting the claim."

American Longevity contends it has a free-speech right to make the statements, which are governed under two-year-old regulations allowing qualified health claims on some products where the science is less than universally accepted.

"The FDA decision greatly misleads the American consumer," said Steve Wallach, general manager of American Longevity, in a statement. "The American public is entitled to the whole truth and we will do all we can to prevent FDA from keeping this scientific information from the American people.

http://medicineworld.org/cancer/blog/perma...-of-tomato.html

according to standard GI, the carrot has a GI of 85-95 (yes, higher than table sugar!) for this reason it is a wonderful food to eat to restore/maintain blood sugar levels during prolonged exercise.

for the nightshades, sheri and venom have covered off the major points. Nightshades, if consumed at all, should be consumed in limited amounts. This would work for your limited diet whoa since a tomato a week (depending on size) juiced would give you the lycopene you are seeking (again though, juicing would be better than cooking overall)

Edited by hyperactive

a plant-based diet has ensured i no longer suffer from sinus problems,

This is an interesting statment, and I noticed sherri said the same thing.

Personally when I was younger and going through puberty, I was eating tons of potatoes, meat and pasta. I rarely ate vegtables becaus ehtey were overcooked and tasted gross.

My allergies also went through the roof. I slpet with 4 pillows under my head at night, to kepp the mucous from pooling in my head, so I wouldnt suffacate while sleeping. It was impossible for me to even blow my nose, because my sinuses were permantently plugged, and to attempt to do so, would cause immense sinus pressure and pain.

I also developed allergies to apples, oranges,watermelon, melons, gluten allergy(which i didnt discover until recently), allergies to all Nuts, all Seafood, cabbage, grass, all Trees and plant life growing in Alberta(my enviroment), pollen allergy and much more.

At that time the more processed afood was the less chance it seemed to cause an allergy so I dug in, unbeknownst to me making the problem worse.

Since changing my diet to a more 'vegan' one alot of allergies have subsided, and through Bioresonance therapy some of the more severe ones, arent so bad any more.

My question is WHY does a plant-based diet help against sinus problems? Whats the reason, or the mechanism? IS it that the other foods stress your body so much, that they lower your immune system, thereby creating allergy like symptoms? Or is it something else?

This is an interesting statment, and I noticed sherri said the same thing.

Personally when I was younger and going through puberty, I was eating tons of potatoes, meat and pasta. I rarely ate vegtables becaus ehtey were overcooked and tasted gross.

My allergies also went through the roof. I slpet with 4 pillows under my head at night, to kepp the mucous from pooling in my head, so I wouldnt suffacate while sleeping. It was impossible for me to even blow my nose, because my sinuses were permantently plugged, and to attempt to do so, would cause immense sinus pressure and pain.

I also developed allergies to apples, oranges,watermelon, melons, gluten allergy(which i didnt discover until recently), allergies to all Nuts, all Seafood, cabbage, grass, all Trees and plant life growing in Alberta(my enviroment), pollen allergy and much more.

At that time the more processed afood was the less chance it seemed to cause an allergy so I dug in, unbeknownst to me making the problem worse.

Since changing my diet to a more 'vegan' one alot of allergies have subsided, and through Bioresonance therapy some of the more severe ones, arent so bad any more.

My question is WHY does a plant-based diet help against sinus problems? Whats the reason, or the mechanism? IS it that the other foods stress your body so much, that they lower your immune system, thereby creating allergy like symptoms? Or is it something else?

venom great question, i really don't know, so i'll let Hype take this one :w00t: but if i was to take a stab at it, I'd say you take on the qualities of the plants you eat whatever benefits the plants have you have same with processed food, Alls the pesticides i think contribute alot, the mucus definitly from meat and dairy, it creates wet conditons in the body What I'd wonder is was it from sugar or dairy or both, i to no longer suffer with sinus, in my case i think it was sugar that poison, we'll see what Hyper says :tu: Sorry i'm thinking out loud..... B)

Edited by Sheri berri

From consuming a living foods only diet, your body easily digests the food, obtains all the nutrietns one needs, and essentially your body can now concentrate on progressing, instead of cleaning itself due to a diet full of fats, and hard to digest foods.

This cleansing begins on a cellular level, and has the ability to heal those suffering from common dis-eases. The health of the colon is somthing very much overlooked in alot of modern medicine. Scientifically, think about how similar the brain and 'gut' are: 100 million nuerotransmitters line the entire length of the 'gut'=approximately the same number present in the brain. Also, nearly every chemical than controls the brain, is in the gut also, including hormones and nuerotransmitters. Ponder that and then think about the old adage, "go with your gut feeling", or how you experience intuition, "butterflies", etc. The 'gut' and the brain are so connected, ever look at thier shape: the small and large intestines sure do resemble the brain tissue, dont you think?

I digress, but when your body is clogged and works extra hard to rid your body of toxicity, dis-ease is sure to result. Cleaning your body through living foods enable your body to move to a higher level.

From consuming a living foods only diet, your body easily digests the food, obtains all the nutrietns one needs, and essentially your body can now concentrate on progressing, instead of cleaning itself due to a diet full of fats, and hard to digest foods.

This cleansing begins on a cellular level, and has the ability to heal those suffering from common dis-eases. The health of the colon is somthing very much overlooked in alot of modern medicine. Scientifically, think about how similar the brain and 'gut' are: 100 million nuerotransmitters line the entire length of the 'gut'=approximately the same number present in the brain. Also, nearly every chemical than controls the brain, is in the gut also, including hormones and nuerotransmitters. Ponder that and then think about the old adage, "go with your gut feeling", or how you experience intuition, "butterflies", etc. The 'gut' and the brain are so connected, ever look at thier shape: the small and large intestines sure do resemble the brain tissue, dont you think?

I digress, but when your body is clogged and works extra hard to rid your body of toxicity, dis-ease is sure to result. Cleaning your body through living foods enable your body to move to a higher level.

Interesting very interesting :D

good post cycle.

venom,

on a personal level I found it was dairy infiltrating foods I ate prior to becoming strictly vegan that was the source of my problems. Casien is a component of milk which is a glue. Note that there are plant equivilants to casien though. Carageenan is not good for you (but you should not be getting this unless you are eating processed foods like soy-icecreams or veggie burgers or other such not-so-healthy-health-food).

Have you done a zero allergen diet to test for food sensitivities? It might reveal hidden irritants to your system.

Here is a list of foods to eliminate to test for allergens:

cows milk and all products derived from cows milk

modern wheat

corn

corn starch

eggs

sugar (white, brown, yellow, golden, demerara, glucose, sucrose, sucralose, cane, etc)

citrus fruit

coffee

tea

alcohol

pop

chocolate

tap water

dried fruits

artificial colour, flavour, sweeteners

foods with preservatives

foods with sulfites

edit:

forgot to mention another factor to the strict veganism switch from vegitarianism:

when I decided there would be no animal products/byproducts in any of my foods I decided to make everything "from scratch" to ensure I knew what I was eating, thus my diet improved.

Edited by hyperactive

good post cycle.

venom,

on a personal level I found it was dairy infiltrating foods I ate prior to becoming strictly vegan that was the source of my problems. Casien is a component of milk which is a glue. Note that there are plant equivilants to casien though. Carageenan is not good for you (but you should not be getting this unless you are eating processed foods like soy-icecreams or veggie burgers or other such not-so-healthy-health-food).

Have you done a zero allergen diet to test for food sensitivities? It might reveal hidden irritants to your system.

Here is a list of foods to eliminate to test for allergens:

cows milk and all products derived from cows milk

modern wheat

corn

corn starch

eggs

sugar (white, brown, yellow, golden, demerara, glucose, sucrose, sucralose, cane, etc)

citrus fruit

coffee

tea

alcohol

pop

chocolate

tap water

dried fruits

artificial colour, flavour, sweeteners

foods with preservatives

foods with sulfites

edit:

forgot to mention another factor to the strict veganism switch from vegitarianism:

when I decided there would be no animal products/byproducts in any of my foods I decided to make everything "from scratch" to ensure I knew what I was eating, thus my diet improved.

:tu: great post hyper :D

Casien is a component of milk which is a glue. Note that there are plant equivilants to casien though.

Im aware of what casien is, and i knwo its even possible to buy dairy products with that removed. Just bougth myself a vegie pizza, and it didnt have any casein in the cheese.

Now what are the plant equivalents to casien?

And why is Carageenan bad for you?

Ya, that is pretty much what you ahve to do in order to eliminate all the foods you listed above. When I went for bioresonance therapy I had to a STRICT 1-2 week absenence of pretty much all the foods you listed because I had an intolerance to EACH ONE! Supposedly bioresoance therapy can fix these intolerances, and therefore elliminate the harmful of effects of the given foods.

Again I must ask what causes the food sensitivites. Is it a health problem (such as stress mental or viral/bacterial)?, or was I Never meant to eat thsoe foods in the first place, becasue my body isnt designed for eating such foods?

Im also curious Hyper, of what your diet consists of and what you average meals are like?

Just a few days ago, I got this to start supplementing my diet.

http://www.myvega.com/berry.htm

Seems pretty good.