Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parenting from the pulpit

Sherapy

That is fantastic! I really wish my parents had done a bit more research when they decided to homeschool me. I do believe that if done right it can be a very rewarding experience for the child. Unfortunately many just use it as an excuse to not have to get up and take their child to school in the morning....

I agree i spent the entire summer before i decided to do this to prepare and understand it. I do think parents are trying to give there kids the best when they decide to home school , i can't see that it would be becasue they wouldn't want to take them to school...But I'll take your word for it....Howa re you doing now???I watched this documentary on the Amish kids did you ever see it???? Religon is sure taken real serious ..way to serious for me.....

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• Beckys_Mom

• ShaunZero

• wallflower1996

I'm doing well. Thanks for asking. It took me a few years of being out on my own to come to terms with my childhood and not hold a grudge against my parents. I am a mother now and I know they were just doing what they thought was best for me. And in some ways I am thankful for my upbringing because it really causes me to see the world in a different light than most people. I am still strugling with where I stand on spiritual matters but at least I have the freedom to explore that on my own. And I know I will never force my children into a belief system or use religion as a way to punish my kids.

Thank you so much for your input to this issue :tu: you seem wise

Zero thought you where done with this topic? Did you just come back to start? FYI this is the only board that does have a place for the skeptics as well as the believers/religious folk but least you forget that there is also a sister board like it only titled - Religion & Beliefs(no mention of skeptics there) ...now do you call that fair?? As for me I dont have a problem with it

No it's not. Skeptics are welcome everywhere on these forums. Even religion and beliefs. They can start their own topics about skeptic beliefs/ideas and the believers aren't allowed to debate because it's not Spirituality VS Skepticism. It's the same deal with both sides.

Edited by ZeroShadow

I'm doing well. Thanks for asking. It took me a few years of being out on my own to come to terms with my childhood and not hold a grudge against my parents. I am a mother now and I know they were just doing what they thought was best for me. And in some ways I am thankful for my upbringing because it really causes me to see the world in a different light than most people. I am still strugling with where I stand on spiritual matters but at least I have the freedom to explore that on my own. And I know I will never force my children into a belief system or use religion as a way to punish my kids.

I'm glad to hear that, thankyou for sharing your story, it is an inspiration to us all and a reminder that we as parents have to be alert and dillegent when it comes to parenting....You said it casued you too see the world in a differnt way a gift your upbringing can you give more detail, i always look for value in anything especially the bad or challenging experinces. its good to see you do the same... :D

Did you know that the real Texas Chainsaw murderer - Ed Gein was raised by a deep religious mother who forced religion on to him?

Who exactly was Ed Gein and why did he commit such atrocities?

Eddie Gein was the son of Augusta and George Gein. Augusta was a deeply religious woman, who preached the Bible to Eddie and his brother Henry on a daily basis. She warned them about the dangers of loose women, in an effort to keep them from being cast down to hell. She was a strict, hard woman, who never wavered from her own beliefs, which she ingrained into the family. Eddie's father, George, was an alcoholic, and Augusta viewed him as being worthless. She began a grocery business in La Crosse, Wisconsin, and when she had saved enough money she moved the family away from the sin of the city to a farm in Plainfield, Wisconsin. Eddie grew up shy and was ignored by the other kids at school, who saw him as quiet and feminine. If he did try to make friends, his mother scolded him. As a result Eddie turned inward and began to reside in the dark corners of his mind.<-- thats the effects his upbringing had on him...and now they have made movies based on him...the most famous of all is - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre along with Silience Of The Lambs which was just loosely based on his life

He worshipped his mother, and grew upset when his brother Henry criticized her. On May 16, 1944, while fighting a brush fire near the farm, Eddie and Henry split up and went in different directions. After the fire had been extinguished, Eddie grew concerned because his brother had not returned. When police arrived Eddie lead them directly to his "missing" brother Henry, who was lying dead in an area untouched by the fire with bruises on his head. The shy and seemingly harmless Eddie was quickly dismissed as a suspect, and the coroner listed asphyxiation as the cause of death. -crimelibrary.com

PS the funny thing about his story..he never used a chainsaw for his murders...but you know Hollywood they love to jack it up a notch :blink:

EDIT - I forgot to post up the link to where I got this info from? Its from an old forum that I used to mod in...

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/texaschainsaw.php

Edited by Beckys_Mom

That is really interesting...

I know Micheal Jackson was raised a Jehovah's Witness. And while I don't condone anything he MIGHT have done I will say I can completely understand why he would have issues involving sexual identity and why he would be able to relate better to children. People who are raised in such an environment are not allowed to grow up. At least not to be able to relate to the world around them. Religion to me is a very scary thing...

That is really interesting...

I know Micheal Jackson was raised a Jehovah's Witness. And while I don't condone anything he MIGHT have done I will say I can completely understand why he would have issues involving sexual identity and why he would be able to relate better to children. People who are raised in such an environment are not allowed to grow up. At least not to be able to relate to the world around them. Religion to me is a very scary thing...

I can understand too why MJ went off the deep end.........I agree it can be taken to the extreme and man that is way to much for me...........I don't agree with burdening a young child with those scary bible storys (they take them literal) or creep a kid out thinking some entitiy is watching it all the time, as a very young child I often couldn't sleep worrying I had a prayer above my head and "If I lay me down to sleep I pray the lord my soul to keep etc etc scary stuff for a kid.....

Edited by Sheri berri

How about stop blaming everything someone does on their beliefs?

If we always did that, then every type of belief would look negative. Because people of all faiths and beliefs have done horrible things.

If we always did that, then every type of belief would look negative. Because people of all faiths and beliefs have done horrible things.

Are you talking to me Zero????? your beleifs become your behavior, its not blame its a fact, what one believes they become.

Edited by Sheri berri

Not blaming everything only some there is a difference Zero...if you dont like it thats tough its our opinions...like it or not..religion can do either good or bad...it all depends ^_^

Atheism can do both good or bad... So?

Zero..everyone does good and bad...thats life

I just posted a horrific topic on how christians where treated..read it it will shock you...thats proof of just how bad people can be