Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murderer of two sex offenders Get's 44 Years

baby d

Murderer of two sex offenders sentenced to 44 years.

BELLINGHAM — A man who portrayed himself as an avenging angel for child sex-crime victims was sentenced to more than 44 years in prison Friday for killing two sex offenders.

Michael A. Mullen, 36, escaped a potential life sentence in a plea deal reached this week, ending a case considered one of the nation's worst cases of vigilantism against sex offenders.

Mullen had confessed to the high-profile killings in letters to the news media, expressing a desire to be executed as a symbol of retribution against sex offenders.

Mullen was initially charged with premeditated first-degree murder for the Aug. 27 slayings of Hank Eisses, 49, and Victor Vasquez, 68, charges that could have resulted in a life sentence.

The execution-style killings of Eisses and Vasquez — Level 3 sex offenders convicted of crimes against minors — alarmed law-enforcement and corrections officials.

The men's address was listed on Washington's sex-offender registry, the first such database in the country, and officials feared that public outrage over sex offenders could lead to copy-cat crimes. No such trend has emerged.

Mullen, a petty criminal with alcohol and drug problems, turned himself in a week after the deaths. Police say he posed as an FBI agent when he knocked on Eisses' door.

In letters to The Seattle Times, Mullen said he targeted Eisses through the sex-offender registry and was surprised when he found two other sex offenders, Vasquez and James Russell, also were living in Eisses' Bellingham house.

Mullen claims he interviewed the three before letting Russell go.

"... Out of the three only one showed remorse or guilt. He is the one I let go," he wrote. "... I came to the conclusion that they must die, along with my own execution at the hands of the state, to drive my point home that 'WE' will protect 'our' children

Story

After reading the thread 171 Year Sentence For Rape I decided to post this.

I have mixed feeling about this story. A part of me would like to declare him a hero despite his acts of violence, however it's up to society to deal collectively with these sex offenders, not vigilantes. In his mind I'm sure he feels justified, also seems to think it will bring the subject more attention.

I dont think the people he murdered were repeat offenders and were probably reformed, or in the process. The story doesn’t specify.

Edited by baby d

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rapid7

• aquatus1

• Glacies

• ShadowDancer

IMO, he killed so he should be killed...

If he is capable of doing it once (or twice in this case)...he is very capable of doing it again...and again....and again...

I don't beleive this guy should be killed but it's not up to me. I also don't agree with what he did so I wouldn't wanna be a juror for him. I'am just glad no more deaths caused to him or from him will continue!

It's sad that we still as a society even consider sex offenders like that even human. I know I don't. This story gave me a smile up but I'm sad he's going to jail for offing some "things" off the face of the earth. Too bad he turned himself in after on killing two of them. He could have at least got another 2 or 3 in the bag. :tu:

The law is the law. I might be able to understand if one of his children was molested or something of that sort that might provoke him to lose it but he sought these men out to kill them.

In regards to whether they were reformed or not, very few pediphiles are ever reformed. The majority of them go on to re-offend and in some cases kill their victims. We have 11 sex offenders living in our zipcode. My brother has 74...its a scary when you have children.

well good for him. i don't think he should be jailed at all, personally- but the law feels otherwise. so, considering that he knew what he was getting himself into and still did it, i admire him. (as odd as that sounds)

good guy, doing what many of us would love nothing more than to do. or me, at least. i'm just disappointed that he let them off with an execution-style death and not a more appropriate punishment for their crimes...

I agree with Kratos. People shouldn't be punished for doing society a favour :tu:

no good deed goes unpunished.....

guy is being locked up for killing 2 animals that society doesnt need? bah humbug.

if he was sure they were sex offenders i think he did the right thing.

imagine if they hurt someone you love i think you may be capable of the same, as for me, you dont wanna know what i would do to them.

they commit the worst of all crimes an deserve punishment way beyond conventional law

If you ask me, he should get 4 years not 44. He potentially saved more children by killing the sex offenders.

It was for the greater good. :tu::tu:

if he was sure they were sex offenders i think he did the right thing.

imagine if they hurt someone you love i think you may be capable of the same, as for me, you dont wanna know what i would do to them.

they commit the worst of all crimes an deserve punishment way beyond conventional law

ya i know if i have kids and one of those guys go near em they wont be going anywhere cept a 6 foot hole

• 4 weeks later...

wow i cant believe people condone this when they know they'd be the first ones crying about it if we all started taking the law into our own hands

what about when some bullied kid walks into school and starts blasting 13 or 14 year old kids who bullied them?

will you support him for that and say he was right?

Mullen should've gotten the death penalty, if anyone should. What element of premeditated murder does this not satisfy?

Anyone who cheers Mullen is more repulsive than any sex offender.

Actually, all that mullen seems to be a threat to are sex offenders...so i'm in the clear, and if he isn't hurting me, and only killing those without a trace of humanity left in them, is it really still murder? that's an ethics question for another time. though i for one, shall not weep at the deaths of those two...things...

Edited by Glacies

This guy should of gotten life...What would you rather have, 2 sex offenders of a mass murderer?

This guy should be given a medal!

I agree 100% child sex offenders are scum and should be wiped out. Why should OUR taxes pay for them to live in jail, to feed and clothe them?! no way more power to that man.

This guy should of gotten life...What would you rather have, 2 sex offenders of a mass murderer?

2 sex offenders harming innocent people...or 1 mass murderer killing said sex offenders and no one else...hmmm...i'm going to have to get back to you on that decision FF...i don't think i can choose there...

I agree that sex offenders are horrible people, but there is no justice for killing them...The guy is just as sick and twisted as the sex offenders...44 years is too little.

I agree that sex offenders are horrible people, but there is no justice for killing them...The guy is just as sick and twisted as the sex offenders...44 years is too little.

I must disagree with you there...from what i've gathered, the mo of a vigilante killer, is usually done for fame, or senseless vengeance, in which anyone he/she sees fit is a valid target, which would make him sick correct. however, turning himself in after killing 2 proved he only had a specific goal in mind, making the killing premeditated yes...but he serves to be little threat to anyone else now, even other sex offenders, as he could have continued killing.

Who knows, people are driven by insane ideas, and he could of been driven to kill more. An animals mutilater was caught here after a 3 week hunt in which he killed and skinned 22 foxes, 14 dog, 3 cats, 2 horses, a cow, and a llama all within 15 minutes of my home. The Police said he was raving to kill more, and he could of easily started killing humans.

That is very true, often times, the serial killer starts out on animals. but turning himself in showed remorse did it not? or at the very least, a cessation to his desire to kill?

but turning himself in showed remorse did it not? or at the very least, a cessation to his desire to kill?

Taking two human lives cannot be dismissed just because he turned himself in....He deserves Life in jail.

If Hitler turned himself in, would you forgive him?

Taking two human lives cannot be dismissed just because he turned himself in....He deserves Life in jail.

If Hitler turned himself in, would you forgive him?

If Hitler had only targeted sex offenders, yes, I would.

Tis a shame he only got 2 of those "things". :hmm: He should have went down taking as many as humanly possibly. :tu: