Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saturn moon 'may have an ocean'

UM-Bot

news icon rSaturn's moon Enceladus could harbour a liquid water ocean beneath its icy crust, according to data sent back by the Cassini spacecraft. Until Cassini reached Saturn, the tiny moon had received little attention. But Enceladus is now the focus of intensive study following the discovery that it is geologically active.

Enceladus may possess reservoirs of near-surface liquid water that erupt to form geysers - and where there's water, there may be life, scientists argue.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• STIX

• adkchamp

• Tokoyo

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is forgetting about mars... maybe mars has life underground in caves or something?

I think this is spectacular!! I always knew that solar-systems were more diverse then previously assummed... I wonder how many stars there are in our galaxy equivalent to our own? I know that ours is very stable... so maybe if there are other ones just as stable they could have similar solar-systems?

Anyone else use "Celestia"? For some reason a large part of this moon seems like it's in low-resolution, even parts that face the sun.... I don't really get why this would be as it has fine detail (asteroid pock marks etc) and the part that has crap resolution is facing the sun... Oh well, probably just don't have good pictures of it yet.

To Saturn's moon it is....

lets forget Mars

Well said, but we should focus on nukeing Mars. We dont know if life is on mars, and if there is kill it before it kills us

:P

That is cool that saturn might have an ocean

Its amazing, we are finding evidence of water in celestial bodies so close to our own planet, think of the infinite amount of stars out there and how likely at least a few are to harbour life of some sort

So is this the first time that actual water has been found outside our planet?

So is this the first time that actual water has been found outside our planet?

No.

From the article:

"There are other moons in the Solar System that have liquid water oceans covered by kilometres of icy crust," said Dr Andrew Ingersoll from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena. "What's different here is that pockets of liquid water may be no more than 10 metres below the surface." Jupiter's icy moon Europa is also thought to host a briny ocean beneath its crust of ice. Neptune's moon Triton has an icy volcanic surface from which break forth plumes of nitrogen.