Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Professor challenges Mayan calendar opinion

7 posts in this topic

UM-Bot
mayan.jpg
The end of the world will come on December 21, 2012. Or not. While some New Age authors and teachers are touting that date as an apocalypse, a Stetson University professor is challenging the reasoning behind it.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: News Journal Online

IronGhost

Fantastic! Maybe I can stop worrying about this now.

SolarThinker

Some very interesting points there. Couldnt it be possibe that the Mayan just thought "we have to end the calander somewhere, why not there? We'll all be dead by then anyway."

Exterminator
Couldnt it be possibe that the Mayan just thought "we have to end the calander somewhere, why not there? We'll all be dead by then anyway."

Exactly what i wanted to say! They had to end the calender somewhere. You won't plan to go to Rome after 200 years telling your relatives that you will visit Rome in 2206, will you?...

Megalomania
So, what are we to make of it all? Will it be time's up in 2012? Well: we at Exit Mundi wouldn't bet on it.

Don't forget: there are many, many religions predicting some kind of end to the world. And the Maya prediction attracts a lot of attention now, merely because their end date is so well-defined, and because the Maya Deadline is only a couple of time-ticks away.

And what about that awesome phenomenon of the Sun sitting in the heart of the Tree of Life? Well, that happened before. The Sun passes the Tree every 25,800 years. That's a lot of years, but since the Earth exists for an astonishing 4,5 billion years, the Earth survived the `divine event' more than 150,000 times already!

What's more, the last six times the phenomenon occurred, modern humans already walked the planet. Obviously, it didn't have much effect on our spiritual lives. It certainly didn't stop the Spanish from butchering some 800,000 Maya's in the sixteenth century.

I followed that logic...

Grandpa Greenman

Another dooms day scenario bits the dust.

STIX

Exactly what i wanted to say! They had to end the calender somewhere. You won't plan to go to Rome after 200 years telling your relatives that you will visit Rome in 2206, will you?...

NO NO NO!!

The mayan calendar is based on precise astronomical measurments made by their pyramids (the steps provided a standard from which to measure) and actually has a starting date which begins 3114 BC... They didn't just randomly pick it. :tu::ph34r:

Actaually even armageddon as believed by the followers of christ is not a dooms day, but rather a re-birth of humanity.... I think this strongly agrees with the mayan interpretation of what will happen... it is the re-birth of consciousness, not the destruction of it.

Edited by STIX