Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Rosa Parks Act'

et's daddy

source

MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) -- Alabama lawmakers are considering pardoning hundreds, possibly thousands, of people who were arrested decades ago for violating Alabama's segregation laws.

The idea of a mass pardon gained traction after the death last year of civil rights icon Rosa Parks, who had refused to give up her bus seat to a white man half a century earlier.

Even though the law allowing segregated seating on city buses was eventually overturned, Parks' conviction is still on the record, said Rep. Thad McClammy.

"This is something that's long overdue. It's something aimed at giving the state a forward look," he said.

His proposed "Rosa Parks Act" would pardon everyone ever arrested under the state's segregation laws, which date back to the state's 1901 constitution. A House committee approved the bill Thursday, sending it to the full House for debate.

The old segregation laws required that blacks attend separate schools, use separate water fountains and theater entrances, and made it illegal for whites and blacks to marry, among other things.

There was no opposition to the proposed legislation in the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday, where the plan was praised by Republicans and Democrats.

"I think it's wonderful. There were 89 people arrested during the bus boycott, and I think every one of them should be pardoned because of the contribution they made to the state and the nation," said Rep. Alvin Holmes, a Democrat and veteran of the civil rights movement.

The Legislature is in the final 10 days of the 2006 session, but the committee chairman, Rep. Marcel Black, said he believes there's enough time to pass the bill.

"I can't imagine anyone opposing this," said Republican Rep. Steve McMillan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have mixed feelings about this

i say its about dang time on one hand

on the other hand i hope it doesnt lead to something stupid like reparations

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• HurtingSpirit

• __Kratos__

• et's daddy

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh:

I see what they're trying to do.

"I think it's wonderful. There were 89 people arrested during the bus boycott, and I think every one of them should be pardoned because of the contribution they made to the state and the nation," said Rep. Alvin Holmes, a Democrat and veteran of the civil rights movement.

If you pardon them, does it make them less of a hero because then they have no conviction on their record to show? :P

Democrat...big surprise there. Always trying to say sorry for something.

I think they should be pardon'd for the crime. But there should be a committee to decide the fate of the prisoners though. I mean, if you free people because the law changes, doesnt reverse the fact that these people broke the law in the first place.

However at the same time once again I have to say, these people have done their time, have had that on their records for YEARS, but imo it is time for us to clear that record.

:huh: Did they kill somebody or something? Why are they even still in there?

With the information given it's ludicrous that this is even an issue!

:huh: Did they kill somebody or something? Why are they even still in there?

With the information given it's ludicrous that this is even an issue!

I dont think they are in jail or anything, its just still on thier record. And they are talking about clearing it off of their records, if I am correct.

:blush: That was a typo....I meant 'on there'.

I agree that it's long overdue.