Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there really no 13th floor on elevators?

sidel

I didn't read everything but it is 100% true that there is no 13th floor on MOST elevators mainly in hotels. Instead they just call the 13th floor the 14th. Because it is bad for business because most people would ask for a room change if they are on the 13th floor. This happened due to people dieing horribly on hotels that had a 13th floor. It's a business decision right now. Recently fire departments have been angry about this because if someone is trapped on the 14th floor, that is really the 13th, and it can get confusing when trying to save someone.

Yes it is mostly hotels that do this. And it is a sign of bad luck to have a 13th floor named as such.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• zandore

• novaceleste

• Wookietim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually the vator where I work doesn't show a 13th floor, it says 12a and 12b.

So yes some vators don't have a 13th floor.

ummm ok. i stand corrected....

UGHHH! Some people are afraid of the stupidest things!

amen...how sad is that :no:

The Japanese fear of the number four is obvious...where does "thirteen" come from? :huh:

The number thirteen is to believe that jesus was the thirteen person that died on a cross .

I GUESS IF YOUR BORN ON fRIDAY 13TH YOUR SATANS SPAWN IN CERTAIN COUNTRIES...LOL

Edited by veliska27

Silly superstition but I guess it's for the convenience of guests. The 14th floor of course, is the 13th. oooooo

Shhhhh!!! Don't tell them, they'll freak out and start jumping from windows or God knows what. :P

I've heard there isn't a fourth floor in buildings in Japan. The number four is bad luck because the character is pronounced the same as the character for "death"

Yeah, four is 'shi' which can also mean 'death'. They also don't have a hotel room number 4. =3

havent heard of 13th floor thing but have heard that they don`t rent out room 13 and 666 if they got so many rooms. don`t think this is true but you never know :huh:

I HAVE seen elevators that skip the 13th floor, and go directly from 12 to 14. However, the 13th floor IS still there, even if its labled as "14". You can't physically skip a floor in a building

Yes, that's right...I have seen them that way forever really

• 2 weeks later...

it's true, every hotel i've been to doesn't have a 13th floor. Not even the crown plaza hotel in New York, New York

Yeah, four is 'shi' which can also mean 'death'. They also don't have a hotel room number 4. =3

in chinese (which japanese and korean is derived from) shì means "yes" XD and in chinese 4 is sì. And the number 4 is unclucky in china because of it's close relation to the word death. So i think, unless we're talking japanese here and not chinese, you got a little confused. EDIT: Also 4 in all three languages mean nearly the same thing...

p.s 8 is lucky in china so make sure you're in china for the olympics!

Edited by ssllaayyeerr

I don´t know about the 13th floor ,but I have been in loads of Hotels without No.13 and also the stairs either have 12 steps or less or 14 and over.

I've heard theres no 13th floor inside the elevators, that when people build the elevators, they skip the 13th floor because of superstition or something.

true?

Elevators in what country? Sure isn't the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to travel quite frequently and have stayed at many hotels, I can say with 100% certainty that 99% of the places I have stayed at do in fact have a 13th floor. I could go to 100 hotels and out of that 100 I would be lucky to get 1 or 2 that skip 13 and just go to 14.

I find that all the building I have been to without a 13th floor have been quite old as well.

I've been to a hotel in Tunisia that skipped the 13th floor and had no room 666 (I know that cause I was the lucky guy to get room 665 and my parents got 667 so I kinda noticed that...

that would be silly.........the only good thing about lifts is when you get out u press all the buttons sooooo fun!!!!

I HAVE seen elevators that skip the 13th floor, and go directly from 12 to 14. However, the 13th floor IS still there, even if its labled as "14". You can't physically skip a floor in a building

Exactly.

Another interesting thing to mention is the MGM Grand in Las Vegas used to have a humongous lion structure as the main entrance to the building. People entering would enter through doors directly under the lions chin, in between its legs. To certain Asian cultures, superstitiously, walking under a lion is bad luck. So the hotel owners completely removed the structure sometime in the 90's, and replaced it with a large golden lion sculpture that has a fence around it, and is simply a structure and not a entry way. The reason this was done is because certain Asian people are very into gambling, and they make up a large percentage of the hotels visitors and with the old lion entrance,less and less Asian's were coming to the MGM. So the MGM changed that in order to regain some lost customers.

Edited by Indrid Cold

• 2 years later...

Even the newer hotels in Vegas skip 13. I know i stayed in the Wynn once and there was no 13th floor, and no 13th rooms. The room i stayed in was something like 2014 but it was suppose to be 2013, they just skipped over it.