Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Information Age...

metacast

"Today, in the electronic age of instantaneous communication, I believe that our survival, and at the very least our comfort and happiness, is predicated on understanding the nature of our new environment, because unlike previous environmental changes, the electric media constitute a total and near-instantaneous transformation of culture, values and attitudes. This upheaval generates great pain and identity loss, which can be ameliorated only through a conscious awareness of its dynamics. If we understand the revolutionary transformations caused by new media, we can anticipate and control them; but if we continue in our self-induced subliminal trance, we will be their slaves."--Marshall McLuhan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• mklsgl

• Rykster

• metacast

Granted, there are drawbacks. The Internet has ushered in a whole new class of addiction. However, in the human race, you will find groups that will become addicted to anything.

The positives far out weigh the negatives. Children are able to learn at accelerated rates using the vast amount of tools and information at their fingertips. The instantaneous connection amongst the world's peoples can only be of benefit. Sharing of cultures and blurring of lines can lead to greater understanding and empathy, thus a less polarized world.

I think that soon, we shall loose the tether that a keyboard and mouse requires and find far better ways to interface with our electronics. There are devices in the works which will make computers much more a part of our everyday lives, thus enhancing them.

Clearly With the information age , there is no reason we shouldn't be growing towards peace and tolerance and unity, we can now see all sides so i imagine descions are much more informed and I home school It is invaluable for that , it is freedom in education, my son is 2nd grade , he could not go back to traditional school at this point he is so far ahead he would be bored to tears.... :D

it is freedom in education, ... at this point he is so far ahead he would be bored to tears.... :D
If we had that freedom in my day, my life would be so much different.

If we had that freedom in my day, my life would be so much different.

I agree, i so wish i had the oppurtunity to home school the way my son does, its a blast and he loves to learn, anything he wants, He gets the freedom of exploration, I would of done things alot different myself....

^^^

I was always so busy reading about the things I liked that I never got my schoolwork done. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "You're not living up to your potential."...

Of course, wise-ass me, in first grade, after being told that, I responded with, "No, you're not living up to my potential." That went over really well with the nuns! :blink: All I got was a slap in the face from the principal (also a nun) and pee'd my pants! :o

Maybe I shouldn't have said it to her while standing in front of the whole class. Her face turned so red, it was probably the closest thing she had ever had to a suntan.

^^^

I was always so busy reading about the things I liked that I never got my schoolwork done. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "You're not living up to your potential."...

Of course, wise-ass me, in first grade, after being told that, I responded with, "No, you're not living up to my potential." That went over really well with the nuns! :blink: All I got was a slap in the face from the principal (also a nun) and pee'd my pants! :o

Maybe I shouldn't have said it to her while standing in front of the whole class. Her face turned so red, it was probably the closest thing she had ever had to a suntan.

lol :D

^^^

Oh, yeah. I was also the class clown. Big s'prise eh? :)

In an idyllic world, perhaps, Sheri. The actuality of information is that it is the most valued commodity on this planet, even more so than property (though, many would argue that information is property).

McLuhan is just one name in a list of dozens upon dozens (Chomsky, Baudrillard, Jameson, Berube, et al) who see the Information Age for what is now and for what it will cause in the future. Certainly there are some positive results and implications but the negative conseqences far outweigh the good.

On the broader spectrum, the information age is relatively new to us. We will learn to use our filters and determine what is useful and what is junk. A time will come when it will be part of us and our daily lives even more so than it is currently.

My husband and I were talking this morning about the beginging of the 20th century and how many curious minds were inventing and discovering things. Our world changed enormously in less than 100 yrs. Just think of how it will be in the next 100. I'm excited to see what the potential of technology brings and how it will enhance our lives.

In an idyllic world, perhaps, Sheri. The actuality of information is that it is the most valued commodity on this planet, even more so than property (though, many would argue that information is property).

McLuhan is just one name in a list of dozens upon dozens (Chomsky, Baudrillard, Jameson, Berube, et al) who see the Information Age for what is now and for what it will cause in the future. Certainly there are some positive results and implications but the negative conseqences far outweigh the good.

HMMM I would be interested in this view point, its so new to me I have much to learn... :D .

On the broader spectrum, the information age is relatively new to us. We will learn to use our filters and determine what is useful and what is junk. A time will come when it will be part of us and our daily lives even more so than it is currently.

My husband and I were talking this morning about the beginging of the 20th century and how many curious minds were inventing and discovering things. Our world changed enormously in less than 100 yrs. Just think of how it will be in the next 100. I'm excited to see what the potential of technology brings and how it will enhance our lives.

:huh: Huh?

Sheri: "Clearly With the information age , there is no reason we shouldn't be growing towards peace and tolerance and unity, we can now see all sides so i imagine descions are much more informed and I home school It is invaluable for that..."

- I agree with you (and others) that academia and education clearly benefit from the access, quality, and speed which the Information Age affords. Where I (and a very healthy list of others) disagree is "growing towards peace and tolerance and unity" and "decisions are much more informed." Your logic is spot on; things ought to be tending towards a better good for everyone but it hasn't turned out that way and it's going to keep spiraling downward exponentially creating more disparity than ever imagined.

- Let's use the Sept. 11, 2001 attack as an example. We had all of the information necessary to prevent it from happening but because information is the "priceless" commodity that it has become, no agency (FBI, CIA, NSA, et al) even considered sharing what they had with each other. No agency should have sole jurisdiction over the truth. Had the FBI and any other agency worked together... Had the FBI not compartmentalized within its own agency...

(Google "Sibel Edmonds" and/or "Richard Clark" for more about this).

Michael

Sheri: "Clearly With the information age , there is no reason we shouldn't be growing towards peace and tolerance and unity, we can now see all sides so i imagine descions are much more informed and I home school It is invaluable for that..."

- I agree with you (and others) that academia and education clearly benefit from the access, quality, and speed which the Information Age affords. Where I (and a very healthy list of others) disagree is "growing towards peace and tolerance and unity" and "decisions are much more informed." Your logic is spot on; things ought to be tending towards a better good for everyone but it hasn't turned out that way and it's going to keep spiraling downward exponentially creating more disparity than ever imagined.

- Let's use the Sept. 11, 2001 attack as an example. We had all of the information necessary to prevent it from happening but because information is the "priceless" commodity that it has become, no agency (FBI, CIA, NSA, et al) even considered sharing what they had with each other. No agency should have sole jurisdiction over the truth. Had the FBI and any other agency worked together... Had the FBI not compartmentalized within its own agency...

(Google "Sibel Edmonds" and/or "Richard Clark" for more about this).

Michael

Aw i see what you are saying and you do have a point Micheal i will look up on gogge...

I Do see we have more info but the same conciousness, wht we need is a evolvement in awareness...how does one go about that i wonder hmmm

Exactly, Sheri. What we need in all actuality is something along the lines of a New Enlightenment as a companion to increase awareness.

I used Sept. 11, 2001 as an example, however, after thinking about, it was too extreme. Better, more fitting, is the fact that our daily bombardment of news and media-related happenings are controlled by 5 mega-corporations. That's right, 5 CEOs have the power to advance and perpetuate their own agendas.

curiosity: You have much more optimism than I. My experience has been that 99% are oblivious or simply don't care enough (if at all). As for filters and dissemination, I wish I had the confidence that you have.

- Michael

Exactly, Sheri. What we need in all actuality is something along the lines of a New Enlightenment as a companion to increase awareness.

I used Sept. 11, 2001 as an example, however, after thinking about, it was too extreme. Better, more fitting, is the fact that our daily bombardment of news and media-related happenings are controlled by 5 mega-corporations. That's right, 5 CEOs have the power to advance and perpetuate their own agendas.

curiosity: You have much more optimism than I. My experience has been that 99% are oblivious or simply don't care enough (if at all). As for filters and dissemination, I wish I had the confidence that you have.

- Michael

Iam aware on the 5 corporations can you recommend any reading material on this subject?????How would we go about raising awareness Micheal????

How do you make someone care, Sheri? I think it has to have a detrimental effect upon them personally before they invest effort to change.

Read Stuart Hall, Noam Chomsky, Neil Hickey, and Marshal McLuhan...

Check out Who Owns What at http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/index.asp

--------------------

- Michael

How do you make someone care, Sheri? I think it has to have a detrimental effect upon them personally before they invest effort to change.

Read Stuart Hall, Noam Chomsky, Neil Hickey, and Marshal McLuhan...

Check out Who Owns What at http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/index.asp

--------------------

- Michael

Thanks micheal :tu:

I wrote this when i was about 14... then i made the collage a year ago. this to me predicted the theme of our life within the information age... before i even knew what was comming.

user posted image

Edited by ADbox

"it's not that we have lost focus. it's that we have learned to function in its abscence."

beautiful. :tu:

and, by the way, i'm all for a new enlightenment.

i can't help but agree with noam chomsky. :blush: