Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Newton-le-Willows, near Warrington, Lancashire

Althalus

The ghostly tramping footsteps are said to be heard sometimes during the month of August.

The sounds are reputed to have originated from the highlanders that Cromwell's men caught, in August 1648, and summarily hanged on nearby trees.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cufflink

• dancin'hamster

• Althalus

• Agent_21

Top Posters In This Topic

Newton-le-Willows...........?

isn't that where Rick Astley came from......?

*does little dance and sings "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down"*

If you're from around that area Athalus, have you ever visited Chingle Hall?????

Hammy x x x

Sorry to disappoint Hammy, but I am from the West Midlands, Redditch to be exact, and have never been to Chingle Hall, it is however a place I would like to go and visit.

oooooooooopsssssss blush.gif

sorry!!!

stupidly assumed that you were from around the area.........but Chingle Hall! Amazing place - been there several times and had a different experience each time! Certainly made me more, erm, well, 'open-mided'.

Hammy x x x

.........but Chingle Hall! Amazing place - been there several times and had a different experience each time! Certainly made me more, erm, well, 'open-mided'.

Hammy x x x

Chingle Hall?!

Hammy, I'm envious.

Not so much that you've been, but that you were brave enough. grin2.gif

Bad vibes, I take it?

Bad vibes...?????

No - nothing could be farther from the truth!

I first went when I was a student, with my mum & her best friend. I wasn't too thrilled at being dragged around some old house by a pair of giggling women. They had been before but didn't tell me anything about the place. I wasn't very impressed when we drove up to it - it's a tiny place, and was a bit bolshey about the whole thing....until we went inside.........and things started to happen.........

shall I go on?

Hammy x x x

*takes deep breath and prepares to ramble*

well....................when we were stood in the porch, I felt someone lift the back of my skirt up. I spun around but there was no one near me. Then, as we entered the Chapel, I got a HUGE waft of insence, and it was so strong that it made me gasp for breath. I started to cough and the other people in the group gawped at me so I asked if they could smell it too......but was greeted by blank stares......*blush*......this is, apparantly, quite common. (The smell, not me being gawped at by people.....then again......anyway, I digress). I had a new camera with one of those inny-outty zoom lenses which you have to press to focus. The lense started to go in & out really fast (in a rather suggestative manner) and it started to beep. I presumed the battery was going flat so I switched it off......

Then, whilst we went upstairs onto the landing I felt distincly ill. I thought I was going to pass out.........the floor was rolling and heaving underneath my feet, and as I fell the guide caught me and plonked me on a chair. He explained that this was also very common, that the floor boards had come from Viking Longships and that salt had been found in the beams.............oooooerrrr!!!!!!!!

and these odd things continued throughout the visit. The camera (switched off) kept beeping, and I felt a small hand on my back. When we left I decided to try to take another picture and found that the battery was fine ..........

Have even MORE about Chingle Hall but don't want to send you into a coma laugh.gif

Hammy x x x

Have even MORE about Chingle Hall but don't want to send you into a coma  laugh.gif

Hammy x x x

Lifting skirts, suggestive cameras and salty beams?!

Blimey, Hammy, I'm hardly likely to slip into a coma after all that! w00t.gif

Hang on, I'll just step outside into the rain...

*distant sound of door opening...wet footsteps squelching back to keyboard*

Phew, where were we?

Oh yeah. The incense, I've heard that mentioned in a fair number of chingle hall accounts. Doesn't it have religious connections?

This is good enough for a thread of it's own. What do you reckon?

Wow, I think I like the ghosts of Chingle Hall, them being dirty minded and all. laugh.gif I wanna hear more, Hammy!

ok, will do a bit of jiggling and post a thread on Chingle for you!

prepare to be, well,.........erm, slightly amazed grin2.gif

Hammy x x x

is it raining where you are?

ha-haaaa !!!!!!!! It's been ROASTIN' here - I've burnt my bottom in the garden!!

Hammy x x x

is it raining where you are?

ha-haaaa !!!!!!!! It's been ROASTIN' here - I've burnt my bottom in the garden!!

Hammy x x x

laugh.gif

Hammy, love, this is Manchester. What do you reckon?

Ay oop, ecky thump, where's me brolly, our kid , and that sort of thing.

This burn, you mention...wouldn't have a photo, would you? Just out of curiosity, you understand. whistling2.gif

"Hammy, love, this is Manchester. What do you reckon?"

ooooooops!

Having been a student living in Bolton, I should have KNOWN it would be chucking down up there !!!!

*feels smug*

and NO pics of my sunburn Mr Rudie! Perhaps you're on the wrong forum wink2.gif

Crispy Hammy x x x

I started learning Reiki this week. Feel free to put your burn in my hands... laugh.gif

Does anyone have an opinion on the events at Chingle recounted by Peter Underwood. Particularly the contribution of a man called Fred Knowles?

Does anyone have an opinion on the events at Chingle recounted by Peter Underwood. Particularly the contribution of a man called Fred Knowles?

I don't think I've seen that one, 21. Got a link?

I don't have a link, but Peter Underwood goes into some depth re Chingle and some Ghost Club investigations in the 1970s in a couple of his books. Fred Knowles was employed by the elderly ladies, the Howarths, I think, to take care of the place. He seemed to have some kind of empathy with whatever was haunting the place, and seemed able to communicate with it. I'm a suspicious kind of fellow though...

"Howarths" rings a bell.

I've got some of Underwood's stuff. I'll dig it out and re-read the Chingle sections.

thumbsup.gif