Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flansham Manor, Sussex.

Althalus

In the 1930's the manor was a guest house. Many visotors seemed to have 'bumped' into a phantom called Cuthbert. the deep lounge hall has a small gallery running overhead which ges thorugh a doorway at one end and connects with bedrooms. One night all the residents and guests were out except for the owner and a friend. Suddenly they both heardfootsteps coming from the passageway upstairsat the other end of the gallery. they knew there was no-one else in the house but decided to investigate and when they walked across the hall and loked up at the gallery they saw the door slowly closing. No living person was in fact in the house, except for themselves.

Years before a child sleeping in a bedroomthat had a connecting door to what is now a bathroom was awakened night after night by strange sounds, thuds and bumps, seemingly coming from within the actual room, almost as if someone or something was being dragged out of the cupboard, along the foor and through the haunted doorway.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent_21

• Doura

• Althalus

Flansham is near Bognor Regis and, although I know Bognor reasonably well, I've missed this place completely, as have others who have written of Sussex ghosts.

A local author, Gerard Young, knew about the ghost. There was nothing sinister about Cuthbert, he claimed. Seemingly friendly, the ghost would vanish rather apologetically whenever anyone came upon him in one of the passages in the Manor. Many people saw him though, and most tended to agree on one point of his attire - he wore flannel trousers.

• 1 month later...

I didn't know! w00t.gif I've walked past the Flansham Manor so often and I didn't even know there was a ghost living there! How fascinating! laugh.gif Do you know more about? Maybe books or websites, which might say more about it?? Cheers!

ps. Flansham is easy to find, just get bus 700 towards Brighton from Bognor Regis and get of the stop after Flansham park.

I got my details from a book on Sussex villages. Peter Underwood includes Flansham Manor in his Gazetteer of British Ghosts (Now A-Z of).

Do you know what the Manor is used for at present?

• 3 weeks later...